F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Do I have to get my f30 waxed? detailed? clay bar-ed?
Studio RSR

05-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #67
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Just another vote for ONR, from someone who keeps a Jet Black car nearly swirl free year round and hasn't washed his car outdoors in over a year.
I'm not much of a waxer (I use Zaino however) but all of the recommendations of Optimum No Rinse got me to order some last night. I am intrigued.

I wonder however how much of the success is the product and how much is the procedure required.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #68
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I'm not much of a waxer (I use Zaino however) but all of the recommendations of Optimum No Rinse got me to order some last night. I am intrigued.

I wonder however how much of the success is the product and how much is the procedure required.
It's the go-to wash for detail fanatics..

Procedure is easy (remember it's a wash, not a wax)..

-2 buckets (1 with a grit guard is preferred)
-in one bucket (the grit guarded one), fill with plain water
-put 1oz (2 cap fulls) of ONR in the other bucket, along with 2 Gal water. Mix it well (it doesn't foam up)
-Use a good wash mitt or sponge, dip it in the ONR solution and was a panel at a time.
-Wash the panel - don't go crazy though, no need to scrub. usually one pass is enough. You also don't want to press hard, you're just wiping the dirt away. Use more ONR if needed
- drop your wash mitt into the rinse bucket with plain water
- dry the panel with a chamois, micro fibre towel, waffle weave, whatever you use to dry. you do not rinse off the ONR.
- once dry, rinse out the wash mitt in the plain water (rub it against the grit guard if you're using one), dip it in the ONR again, and move on to the next panel.

I can do my entire car in about 20 minutes. Make sure you start from the roof and work down. I also leave the skirts and bumpers for last as they are the most dirty. Finally I do the wheels, but with a separate sponge, as I don't want to get my wash mitt crazy dirty with brake dust. The reason behind the second rinse bucket is to ensure your wash mitt doesn't drag dirt from the previous panel on to the next one

don't forget the windows too!

ONR is pretty versatile. It comes with different dilution instructions, as you can also make a quick detail spray out of it, or a clay lube.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #69
mfear
South Florida Elite
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i - Crimson Red/Black

A second bucket isn't really necessary. The polymers that make ONR so effective at trapping and removing dirt are the same polymers that make this a safe procedure..it traps them so you don't scratch your car. My 2 cents.

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #70
carconvert
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Your car can look a lot better then it did on day one tho.
reward vs. effort
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #71
325bim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330l;2006 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardio
As you can see lots of different opinions here, depends on how far you want to go. I myself love to detail so Zaino is for me. They have all the products you need. Twice a year you apply two coats... and once a month (or more) you hand wash. The car looks better than show room all year. Car washes will leave swirls which would drive me crazy.
+1 zaino FTW!
      05-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #72
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

Zaino is amazing if you have the time. I swear my car could deflect a bullet after putting that stuff on.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #73
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

You Zaino folks should try some newer stuff. I used Zaino for over a decade, but Blackfire and Menzerna both make sealants that are easier to use and less fussy about the weather/moon cycles.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 06:46 AM   #74
bananachipz
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i

Quote:
You Zaino folks should try some newer stuff. I used Zaino for over a decade, but Blackfire and Menzerna both make sealants that are easier to use and less fussy about the weather/moon cycles.
Menzerna polishes are what a lot of pro's use..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #75
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
Menzerna polishes are what a lot of pro's use..
All I've been using for as long as I can remember. I tried their co-branded sealant FMJ and wasn't very impressed, but Power Lock is great stuff, I think it would be hard to try Power Lock and go back to Zaino.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #76
lauruskamj
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

I use a product called Liquid Glass. Kind of exensive but I find it to be worth it. It says to let it "bake in" before removing for a few hours but I never have the time for this. I just put it on and buff it off like regular polish and it works awesome. No swirls even on darker cars, and it does a great job with "beading."
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #77
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

Quote:
I've been debating Swissvax actually
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #78
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnosis8 View Post
You know those school kids that do fund-raiser car washes every now and then? Jackpot.
OMG - that and the BMW Dealership are the last two places that I would allow to wash my vehicle.
      05-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #79
Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfear View Post
A second bucket isn't really necessary. The polymers that make ONR so effective at trapping and removing dirt are the same polymers that make this a safe procedure..it traps them so you don't scratch your car. My 2 cents.
I also just use one bucket and it works great. I have Imperial Blue and I am VERY picky about swirls etc and ONR in one bucket has not caused any swirls or scratching at all for me.

Best thing ever to be able to wash my car in the garage out of the hot sun.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #80
Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i

Quote:
I have not tried the other products you mentioned, but Zaino has changed also. They have a nice all in one product now (Zaino-AIO) that is a good one step cleaner/polish/sealant if you want a nice look with little effort. I never use the catalyst mix stuff from Zaino any longer. They also have a nice wipe on and leave it product called Z-CS.

From reading detailing forums, it seems most of the pros prime objection to Zaino is the cost and less so the effectiveness. Cost is not much of an issue for me when a bottle lasts a couple years, but for a pro buyings quarts or gallons at a time I can see where Zaino would not be a good option.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #81
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I have not tried the other products you mentioned, but Zaino has changed also. They have a nice all in one product now (Zaino-AIO) that is a good one step cleaner/polish/sealant if you want a nice look with little effort. I never use the catalyst mix stuff from Zaino any longer. They also have a nice wipe on and leave it product called Z-CS.

From reading detailing forums, it seems most of the pros prime objection to Zaino is the cost and less so the effectiveness. Cost is not much of an issue for me when a bottle lasts a couple years, but for a pro buyings quarts or gallons at a time I can see where Zaino would not be a good option.
Just try the new stuff. I wanted to keep loving Zaino, stuck it out through both Z2 Pro and Z5 Pro, even tried Z8, but there's other stuff out there that's really worth trying. Even stuff that holds up to a single bird dropping.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #82
325bim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330l;2006 Z4

[QUOTE=Red Bread]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post

Quote:
Just try the new stuff. I wanted to keep loving Zaino, stuck it out through both Z2 Pro and Z5 Pro, even tried Z8, but there's other stuff out there that's really worth trying. Even stuff that holds up to a single bird dropping.
Why try something else, when you're completely satisfied with what your using? With zaino my cars always look amazing(especially jet black), it hold up better than wax, and it's easy to apply. what else is there?
      05-23-2012, 05:01 AM   #83
yerffejleahcim
Captain
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3 Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Unfortunately not.. there's only one on this island, which is basically that one only available for Military personnel.

I could, however, go back to the house that we live in now as we're going to rent it out after we move to our new home and use the water and hose here but... I don't feel much for having to disturb tenants.. laws and all that

Reaaalllly maybe (and that's a big maybe) I might able to hook up a hose long enough to get to my car from the backyard from our new home but I'm afraid it might not work out due to the distance, pressure needed and all that, hence my initial question

Svache, I have been having the same problem. No access to a hose in our apartment building. I use to always go the the Military one on Valkenburgh until they started checking ID. Now i have a problem on where to go. Been searching on google but no luck..

2016 F80 M3 Alpine White / Sakhir Orange / DCT
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #84
TEAShea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

My suggested procedure for washing a car.

There is one important issue when washing a car - minimized scratching. Remember that dirt and dust is very abrasive. If you push a particle of dirt against the paint, you will scratch the paint - just like using sandpaper.

With rare exceptions you do not need, and should not use, a bucket and soap or detergent. If your car is dirty enough to need soap or detergent, take it to a wand style do it yourself car wash and pre-wash the car by spraying it. The water in a bucket will get dirty and the dirt will not all fall to the bottom - it will be suspended and will get on your brush (or mitt) and then back on the car.

The key is to continually wash the dirt off with a spray of water aimed at the brush. A boar's hair brush is best because it is soft but remains stiff enough in water (unlike horsehair etc). Poly brushes are a no-no because they will scratch the paint.

If your drying towel shows any sign of discoloration after use, it means you did not wash the car well enough and you are pressing dirt into the paint when you dry it.

Waxing only takes a half hour - so I (almost) always wax my car after I wash it.

Yea - fanatical.

1) Equipment
- hose
- boar's hair brush for the body
- boar's hair brush for the wheels
- long handled soft brush for inside of wheels

2) Procedure
- wash it in the shade, no wind - or inside
- rinse the car thoroughly
- with a steady stream of water pointed on the brush, wash the wheels
- use the long handled soft brush for the inside of the wheels
- with a steady stream of water pointed on the brush, wash the body
- dry the car using a microfiber towel.
- wax the car
Tom
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #85
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325bim View Post
Why try something else, when you're completely satisfied with what your using? With zaino my cars always look amazing(especially jet black), it hold up better than wax, and it's easy to apply. what else is there?
Fair point, I suppose. I enjoyed Dr Seuss, they were good books. There's probably nothing in the adult section worth reading.

Like I said, I used and enjoyed Zaino for over a decade, but the effort and weather related fussiness when compared to some of the newer products, which are easier to use, more durable, easier to find, longer lasting and closer to the appearance of a carnauba make me prefer the newer stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #86
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerffejleahcim View Post
Svache, I have been having the same problem. No access to a hose in our apartment building. I use to always go the the Military one on Valkenburgh until they started checking ID. Now i have a problem on where to go. Been searching on google but no luck..
Hopefully I can get a hose long enough from the backyard to the public road at my new home, then you can come over and wash your car at my place

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #87
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

which side of the island do you guys live in?? 'cause it would be a bummer being on the Lanikaii (east side) it's always raining there... you almost have to wash it every week practically !

coming back to the thread issue: i will study those four pages very well, so that by the time i receive my car ,i will be ready to give it a good deep clean wash!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #88
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
which side of the island do you guys live in?? 'cause it would be a bummer being on the Lanikaii (east side) it's always raining there... you almost have to wash it every week practically !
lol no worries, we both live on Leeward (the warm and hot side lol).. My wife and I are getting the keys to our new home in Central this friday, which is a bit cooler weather but still dry enough

If I lived on the Windward side (east), I might as well go live back in the Netherlands, the weather is not that much different in sense of rain and gloomy clouds (obviously I'm not speaking about the temperature hahaha)

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0