F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adaptive shocks and perminent sports mode (F36)
GetBMWParts

09-05-2023, 06:40 AM   #1
Olly_P
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i, Estoril Blue

Adaptive shocks and perminent sports mode (F36)

I have some ACS springs fitted to my F36.

I find the standard dampers a little bouncy when in eco/comfort mode and much better when they're firmer in sports mode. I'm wondering if there was a way to permanently set the dampers to the firmer sports setting, or have the firmer setting apply to comfort mode as well as sports?

I have Carly, xHP and Bootmod3 for coding, but not sure where to start. Has any one tried this or any advice?

I've tried searching but haven't managed to find much.
      09-05-2023, 07:04 AM   #2
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

The F36 is underdamped from the start due to the weight of the tailgate. Fitting shorter, stiffer, springs (even ours) calms down body roll etc. but can/does exacerbate the bounciness of the feeble stock dampers.

The better solution, when funds allow, is to fit our matching sports dampers, or B8 Bilstein if you can't run to the ACS versions, and code out the adaptive damping altogether.
Appreciate 1
danb19791892.50
      09-06-2023, 06:38 AM   #3
Olly_P
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the info, yea replacing the dampers would probably be best.

Was hoping I could 'fix' via coding the dampers to permanent sports mode, a cheep option!
      09-06-2023, 06:53 AM   #4
Lorcan
Rep

Cheap, but in a customer's words...

"The ACS kit really does deliver a single solution for great suspension on a daily and for me at least removes the choice of comfort/sport which are now merely two versions of crap".

Harsh, but fair
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 09:01 AM   #5
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Hi there
I don’t agree.
I had OEM adjust. dampers and ACS springs on my F36.
It was ok but having dampers not matched to the springs is not a good solution.
Nothing wrong with ACS springs but not a good solution in combination with OEM dampers.
I now have KW DDC’s and that works!!
And I still have the option of comfort or sport by the click of a button.
And it is not 2 different versions of crap for dd.
Prob. Not a solution if funds is an issue though….. 😉

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      09-06-2023, 09:30 AM   #6
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
Hi there
I don’t agree.
Not sure what you are disagreeing with here exactly?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 09:44 AM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly_P View Post
Thanks for the info, yea replacing the dampers would probably be best.

Was hoping I could 'fix' via coding the dampers to permanent sports mode, a cheep option!
FYI- Be aware that installing Bilstein B6/B8 can increase chassis height and tire/fender gap. See video link.

https://youtu.be/IlppKcxGWzA?si=CxLI_f3fRX5XBnz_

I’d suggest Koni Yellow Sport, which unlike Bilstein are also adjustable for comfort. This goes for standard struts/shocks. If it’s Adaptive/EDC then either Bilstein B4-Damptronic or KW DDC coilovers to maintain the technology investment.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:02 AM   #8
anielsen71
Lieutenant Colonel
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Not sure what you are disagreeing with here exactly?
I’m disagreeing with your customers statement that adjustable dampers is 2 types of crap.
Not with you, it wasn’t your comment

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:11 AM   #9
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
I’m disagreeing with your customers statement that adjustable dampers is 2 types of crap.
Not with you, it wasn’t your comment
He was talking about the original BMW adaptive dampers.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:20 AM   #10
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
FYI- Be aware that installing Bilstein B6/B8 can increase chassis height and tire/fender gap. See video link.

I’d suggest Koni Yellow Sport, which unlike Bilstein are also adjustable for comfort. This goes for standard struts/shocks. If it’s Adaptive/EDC then either Bilstein B4-Damptronic or KW DDC coilovers to maintain the technology investment.
Which isn't a bad thing as the Euro M Sport F30 is pretty low as standard. I certainly wouldn't want lowering springs on it where I live.

I've watched most of your videos. Very informative The Ohlins R&T deep dive videos were also pretty interesting as I had them on a Golf GTI 6 years ago. I hope Ohlins have addressed the piston sleeve quality issues since then. Mine were hopeless quality wise, but sublime handling wise

Anyway, as you were on the thread!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 11:48 AM   #11
sapphire black
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 440i

Quote:

I think from some other posts you had a eibach + koni red setup.

I’m surprised you’re recommending the yellows, I thought the yellows were the stiffer dampers and the reds are more suited to street use. Have you tried both and have a new preference?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 02:15 PM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
Which isn't a bad thing as the Euro M Sport F30 is pretty low as standard. I certainly wouldn't want lowering springs on it where I live.

I've watched most of your videos. Very informative The Ohlins R&T deep dive videos were also pretty interesting as I had them on a Golf GTI 6 years ago. I hope Ohlins have addressed the piston sleeve quality issues since then. Mine were hopeless quality wise, but sublime handling wise

Anyway, as you were on the thread!
I believe FaRKle’s video talks about the front being raised because of the strut bracket but the rear stays the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 02:35 PM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire black View Post
I think from some other posts you had a eibach + koni red setup.

I’m surprised you’re recommending the yellows, I thought the yellows were the stiffer dampers and the reds are more suited to street use. Have you tried both and have a new preference?
You are correct that have the Koni Red Special Actives with Eibach Springs on my car. I did recently switch from Eibach E10-20-031-06-22 to the “05” European Eibach kit which dropped my front from 0.8” to about 1.4”.

I recommend different setups depending on the information/requirements that I’m given. In this case since Lorcan was recommending B8’s I assumed that he has knowledge of the vehicle, dampers and spring rates. He knows his stuff (except of course if he’s disagreeing with me )
The Koni Yellow Sport match up better than the SA’s if an application is definitely suited to the B8.

FaRKle! has some great posts that go into the specs of the Special Actives and Sport Yellows. There is quite a bit of overlap with the two in terms of performance and comfort. I lean toward recommending the Special Actives if a person emphasizes daily driver comfort. I lean toward Sport Yellows if a person emphasizes aggressive driving and/or weekend tracking.

The Sport Yellows do lend themselves to setting for comfortable driving to/from work while being able to change setting for aggressive weekend driving. Obviously Sport Yellows are not to the extent of say KW V3 coilover multiple adjustments, but also not at the V3 price either. Everything is always relative.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 03:09 AM   #14
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
He knows his stuff (except of course if he’s disagreeing with me )

There is a potential issue with B8 ride height. I experienced this myself with the Yellow Peril, my old Golf, when adding B8s to Eibachs and the rear ride height increased noticeably. The original dampers were, to be technical for a moment, shagged though, so how much of the increase was due to that factor is unknown. Of course, my loyalties lay with AC Schnitzer as I'm a man of principle. But if you don't like my principles, I have others and I can be persuaded to sell Bilstein, KW etc.

Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      09-12-2023, 04:07 AM   #15
Olly_P
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Thanks, thats really useful to know. Happy with my current ACS springs, but if anything could do with being slightly lower.

Thanks for all the replys to, lots of useful info. Not sure how long i'm keeping the car for so a little reluctant to spend too much on replacing the dampers. Something to look into if I decide to keep for a bit longer!
      09-12-2023, 04:30 AM   #16
Olly_P
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
FaRKle! has some great posts that go into the specs of the Special Actives and Sport Yellows. There is quite a bit of overlap with the two in terms of performance and comfort. I lean toward recommending the Special Actives if a person emphasizes daily driver comfort. I lean toward Sport Yellows if a person emphasizes aggressive driving and/or weekend tracking.

The Sport Yellows do lend themselves to setting for comfortable driving to/from work while being able to change setting for aggressive weekend driving. Obviously Sport Yellows are not to the extent of say KW V3 coilover multiple adjustments, but also not at the V3 price either. Everything is always relative.
Thanks, sounds like Sport Yellows would be the best option for my use case, or maybe the Bilstein B4-Damptronic (or 'upgraded' Bilstein B6-DampTronic) to keep the EDC. Do you think either would change the ride height at all?

Last edited by Olly_P; 09-12-2023 at 04:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 06:53 AM   #17
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly_P View Post
Thanks, sounds like Sport Yellows would be the best option for my use case, or maybe the Bilstein B4-Damptronic (or 'upgraded' Bilstein B6-DampTronic) to keep the EDC. Do you think either would change the ride height at all?
I probably didn’t realize in the previous discussion that you had Adaptive/EDC dampers. In that case keep the technology that you invested in by going with B4-Damptronic. B6-Damptronic are likely to change ride height and many people complain that the ride is much stiffer/harsher.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 09:23 AM   #18
SR-25
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
He was talking about the original BMW adaptive dampers.
Ahh yes I am the customer who wrote that and that's correct. Let me put it this way the matching dampers and springs are fricking amazing. Since i wrote that review i've switched to non-rft conti sport 7s and the cars just got even better. I'm an absolutely bang average driver and I don't claim to know anything about suspension, all I know is that in the year I had the full ACS setup done i just wish i did it sooner as the car feels briliant all of the time. No buttons it's just there on tap for whatever situation I find myself in.
Appreciate 1
Lorcan3609.00
      09-13-2023, 04:08 AM   #19
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
I probably didn’t realize in the previous discussion that you had Adaptive/EDC dampers. In that case keep the technology that you invested in by going with B4-Damptronic. B6-Damptronic are likely to change ride height and many people complain that the ride is much stiffer/harsher.
We supplied a local customer with B6 Damptronic, at his request, to keep the adaptive setup, but he didn't like them either. Swapped him to ACS sports suspension and he was happy.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00