F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 2017 320i Base iDrive Controller Upgrade
Studio RSR

03-24-2024, 12:30 PM   #1
jacobmitchellrc
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

2017 320i Base iDrive Controller Upgrade

Good afternoon, I’m looking to upgrade the small I drive knob to the nicer one the 328i or 330i comes with. I have a 2017 with ID4, not evo. I notice there are two options that are KCAN2 and was wondering if both work. I have attached photos below. The only difference I notice is the media/radio buttons and the HW version on the sticker on the back.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 04:14 PM   #2
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

I believe the 7-button controllers have two versions. A touch and a non-touch. I installed the touch version going from a 5-button controller. The touch is really useless if using an NBT in my opinion. I would go with the non-touch unless you find the touch for near the same price. If you install the touch, you will also need the touch module ECU for about $30 on EBay. Both will need to be on the KCAN2 bus instead of the KCAN(1) where the 5-button was. Both need coding afterwards.
      03-31-2024, 09:26 AM   #3
jacobmitchellrc
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
I believe the 7-button controllers have two versions. A touch and a non-touch. I installed the touch version going from a 5-button controller. The touch is really useless if using an NBT in my opinion. I would go with the non-touch unless you find the touch for near the same price. If you install the touch, you will also need the touch module ECU for about $30 on EBay. Both will need to be on the KCAN2 bus instead of the KCAN(1) where the 5-button was. Both need coding afterwards.
Ok cool thank you. Let’s say I go with the non touch what coding will I need on either esys or bummer code. I’ve seen some guys say it’s plug and play and some say coding but haven’t seen what must be changed
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2024, 06:33 PM   #4
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmitchellrc View Post
Ok cool thank you. Let’s say I go with the non touch what coding will I need on either esys or bummer code. I’ve seen some guys say it’s plug and play and some say coding but haven’t seen what must be changed
You have a 2017 (newer car than mine) so you may already have KCAN2 for your controller. So probably don’t need any wiring changes.

I would make sure I get a controller that has a manufacturing date after your car’s date so you don’t have to mess around with the Zeitkriterium. It may be plug and play if the hardware version is close to your current controller’s hardware version.

In any case, it should work plug and play, but you may have a hidden ECU error code that you could clear up with Esys with CAFD injection.