F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328i N20 Tunes
GetBMWParts

06-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #111
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Just for the warranty honestly.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #112
KK328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328 gracier silver

I have seen on other threads that members are saying that their car got into limp mode even though no body is claiming it's 100% to do with the BMS but some are saying once they took it off the car went back to normal and also some r claiming it has to do with earlier built cars. Anybody here had the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 05:34 PM   #113
momo3605
Major
Rep

i had stage 1 on the car for 4 months, and stage 2 for the last 2 months, no issues so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #114
momo3605
Major
Rep

I say just do it, it's such an easy install/uninstall and it's cheap. If you don't like it, sell it
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #115
KK328
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328 gracier silver

Great thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #116
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

somebody should email Eurocharged to see if they have something for the N20 yet..... they've done the F10 M5 apparently.

http://www.***********.com/content.p...eel-horsepower
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #117
**ghost**
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

New member - hello world!

i'm keen to get a tune... warranty issues concern me but what worries me more is the nature of the BMS/AFE products.

I read up on the technical specs of the BMS/AFE tunes on various websites and (correct me if i'm wrong) it seems they operate on signal interceptors that modify fuel, ignition and boost cycles by misdirecting input data to the OEM computer....

If someone could please have a read of my thoughts below and tell me if i'm right or wrong? I'm no expert so would be more than hpapy to be corrected.

About Five to Ten years ago - I used to have a couple of tuned hondas (VTEC Yo! VTECCCC!!...ahem) and the AFE/BMS product reminds me of the Apexi VAFC interceptor "tune boxes" people installed in their cars.

The VAFC was a box that changed A/F ratios, ignition advance/retard and VTEC activation point by telling the OEM computer the wrong info to make it work a certain way. So for instance - the VAFC box would tell the engine management it was 6000rpm (time for VTEC!!!!) when in actuality it was 5000rpm (we wanted VTEC early). Ignition could also be advanced a few points by telling the engine the wrong ignition cycle.

The problem is - the VAFC left all knock, detonation, temperature, surge, etc sensor and safety mechanisms to the OEM management system. Which whilst not a big issue on a Honda B16A 1.6 NA engine - hardly sounds ideal for a new engine like the N20....

Coming from a highly strung out 2009 WRX STi (13.2 1/4 mile with me driving, probably faster in the hands of someone better) - there would have been no way I would have used a interceptor tune for those engines as the OEM safety mechanisms might be insufficient to deal with the "tune" once factory parameters are exceeded.

Now if i wont use it for a STi... i'm pretty sure i wouldn't use it for a N20...

So overall i'm waiting for a full flash tune with proper fuel, ignition and boost mapping and safety functionality. A box that whispers beautiful little lies to my engine to encourage her to rock harder and harder.... not sure about that

ps: i'd be happy for someone to tell me the BMS is good - cos i actually want a cheap tune. I just can't confirm its a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #118
slmdgee
Usofstance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328I 6SPD

Truth bro, just wait. A good tune is coming out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by **ghost** View Post

i'm keen to get a tune... warranty issues concern me but what worries me more is the nature of the BMS/AFE products.

I read up on the technical specs of the BMS/AFE tunes on various websites and (correct me if i'm wrong) it seems they operate on signal interceptors that modify fuel, ignition and boost cycles by misdirecting input data to the OEM computer....

If someone could please have a read of my thoughts below and tell me if i'm right or wrong? I'm no expert so would be more than hpapy to be corrected.

About Five to Ten years ago - I used to have a couple of tuned hondas (VTEC Yo! VTECCCC!!...ahem) and the AFE/BMS product reminds me of the Apexi VAFC interceptor "tune boxes" people installed in their cars.

The VAFC was a box that changed A/F ratios, ignition advance/retard and VTEC activation point by telling the OEM computer the wrong info to make it work a certain way. So for instance - the VAFC box would tell the engine management it was 6000rpm (time for VTEC!!!!) when in actuality it was 5000rpm (we wanted VTEC early). Ignition could also be advanced a few points by telling the engine the wrong ignition cycle.

The problem is - the VAFC left all knock, detonation, temperature, surge, etc sensor and safety mechanisms to the OEM management system. Which whilst not a big issue on a Honda B16A 1.6 NA engine - hardly sounds ideal for a new engine like the N20....

Coming from a highly strung out 2009 WRX STi (13.2 1/4 mile with me driving, probably faster in the hands of someone better) - there would have been no way I would have used a interceptor tune for those engines as the OEM safety mechanisms might be insufficient to deal with the "tune" once factory parameters are exceeded.

Now if i wont use it for a STi... i'm pretty sure i wouldn't use it for a N20...

So overall i'm waiting for a full flash tune with proper fuel, ignition and boost mapping and safety functionality. A box that whispers beautiful little lies to my engine to encourage her to rock harder and harder.... not sure about that

ps: i'd be happy for someone to tell me the BMS is good - cos i actually want a cheap tune. I just can't confirm its a good idea.

IG Stu_UnitedStatesOfStance
United States Of Stance
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #119
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
i'd be happy for someone to tell me the BMS is good - cos i actually want a cheap tune.
Ok, the BMS is good. It really is.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #120
**ghost**
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Ok, the BMS is good. It really is.
HA!

I want to believe man i really do.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #121
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
HA!

I'm a believer. Since 25th Feb, 2013.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #122
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quote:
A box that whispers beautiful little lies to my engine to encourage her to rock harder and harder.... not sure about that
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #123
chugster
B0$$
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 HS M2C

Quote:

Quote:
HA!

I totally with both of your guys on this! I am waiting for cobb to release AP for the n20 so I can get tuned the right way. It has been a struggle to wait to get power out of this thing the right way...

2016 CWP STi FBO E85
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #124
**ghost**
Private First Class
Rep

Just an small update if anyone is interested.

I sent a message via facebook to BMW Australia asking on the progress of a PPK tune for 328i

They advised there's no current plans to introduce one. Whether this applies just to Australia or worldwide I don't know.

I also know a senior BMW sales manager in Australia who said he heard from head office meetings that a PPK for 328i is being considered but they are very reluctant to release one as it would put the tuned performance of the 328i too close to the stock 335i

The rumour is that when LCI comes along, the 335i will get the PPK tune as standard to keep up with competitors getting ever faster and the PPK will then be offered to the 328i

Take it all with a grain of salt guys - its all rumours at this point.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #125
metrathon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Just an small update if anyone is interested.

I sent a message via facebook to BMW Australia asking on the progress of a PPK tune for 328i

They advised there's no current plans to introduce one. Whether this applies just to Australia or worldwide I don't know.

I also know a senior BMW sales manager in Australia who said he heard from head office meetings that a PPK for 328i is being considered but they are very reluctant to release one as it would put the tuned performance of the 328i too close to the stock 335i

The rumour is that when LCI comes along, the 335i will get the PPK tune as standard to keep up with competitors getting ever faster and the PPK will then be offered to the 328i

Take it all with a grain of salt guys - its all rumours at this point.
Makes a lot of sense. That's what I thought. The 320i PPK makes sense, because there's a huge performance difference between 20i and 28i. But not so much between 28i and 35i.
Past affairs: 2014 Lexus RX 350 | 2012 BMW 328i Sport | 2009 Audi A4 2.0T | 2007 BMW 750Li | 2006 Kawaki Ninja 650R | 2004 BMW 530i | 2004 BMW 520i | 2001 BMW 530i | 2003 Opel Vectra | 2002 Citroen Xsara
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #126
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' 328 MSPORT

Garage List
ok, so someone please help me out.!
I came out of a 335 with engine mods but no chip.
I now have the 13, 328 Msport. Obviously I love it but i cant stand the differance in PWR! So i have decided to get a chip. I have spoken to other frnds with chips , but am still confused.

So... Where is a list of the chips out for the N20, (Price/gains...) I have Heard great things about JB4, but what is difference in stage 1, and 2???
What about BMS??
im also looking for good price! and i dont need to get technical with it (Different maps, ect..) but just to install and be gone.

Thank you in advance!
'13 328i MSport, AW, Black Dakota leather, Premium Pkg, xenons, ///M Perf, side skirts,Front Lip, Fully coded, CF roundels, Matt Black Grillz, Painted reflectors (front & rear) Smoked tail lights, Plazma l.E.D White PY27W front turn signal,trunk spoiler, Matt Black roof, 8K D1S HID,Custom Exhaust,!
Soon:
JB4,DP,H&R sports,rear diff,!

Last edited by AWMSPORT; 07-31-2013 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #127
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWMSPORT View Post
ok, so someone please help me out.!
I came out of a 335 with engine mods but no chip.
I now have the 13, 328 Msport. Obviously I love it but i cant stand the differance in PWR! So i have decided to get a chip. I have spoken to other frnds with chips , but am still confused.

So... Where is a list of the chips out for the N20, (Price/gains...) I have Heard great things about JB4, but what is difference in stage 1, and 2???
What about BMS??
im also looking for good price! and i dont need to get technical with it (Different maps, ect..) but just to install and be gone.

Thank you in advance!
Jb4 IS BMS, BMS is the company, JB4 is the product.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #128
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWMSPORT View Post
I have Heard great things about JB4, but what is difference in stage 1, and 2???
What about BMS??

Thank you in advance!
JB4 is BMS and BMS is JB4. (JB stands for Juice Box)
My 328i has Stage 1 installed and it really boosts performance compared to stock. Makes acceleration rather 'urgent' (for want of a better word). Lots of BIG smiles when pushed.
Stage 2 is in beta 'testing' but can be bought from Burger.

Me, I'm happy with Stage 1 at this time. Super easy and fast to install and equally to remove when and if required.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #129
AWMSPORT
1ST CLASS AWMSPORT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' 328 MSPORT

Garage List
ahhh, ok, so i feel like a re re...lol,

So i should be looking for the BMS JB4 stage 1 PNP for N20 .
'13 328i MSport, AW, Black Dakota leather, Premium Pkg, xenons, ///M Perf, side skirts,Front Lip, Fully coded, CF roundels, Matt Black Grillz, Painted reflectors (front & rear) Smoked tail lights, Plazma l.E.D White PY27W front turn signal,trunk spoiler, Matt Black roof, 8K D1S HID,Custom Exhaust,!
Soon:
JB4,DP,H&R sports,rear diff,!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #130
Twinpower76
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 f30 328 sportline

I would strongly recommend you avoid any kind of "Juice box" and wait for the ppk.the ecu of the n20 engine has not been cracked by any tuner yet.but i assume that it will be available,once the 328 ppk is officially released by bmw. The reason why i dont consider a box tuning (juice box) is that it only intercepts with a few parameters,whereas a real ecu remap changes a lot of settings and thus provides a much healthier and reliable power increase.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 10:37 PM   #131
slmdgee
Usofstance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328I 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpower76 View Post
I would strongly recommend you avoid any kind of "Juice box" and wait for the ppk.the ecu of the n20 engine has not been cracked by any tuner yet.but i assume that it will be available,once the 328 ppk is officially released by bmw. The reason why i dont consider a box tuning (juice box) is that it only intercepts with a few parameters,whereas a real ecu remap changes a lot of settings and thus provides a much healthier and reliable power increase.

Truth!!! I aint paying 500 dollars for a stage 2 tune... Lol exhaust run 1k for these cars, regardless i rather get a cobb or something.

IG Stu_UnitedStatesOfStance
United States Of Stance
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #132
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinpower76 View Post
I believe that there is a middle ground between the juice box solution and the PPK solution--a high-end German piggyback that increases power production primarily by extending main injection time and monitoring exhaust temperature rather than by directly increasing CR pressure and boost. This is much more similar to how the ECU map of the PPK works and is much kinder to the injectors, valves, and to the engine overall. It's a "kinder gentler"--and safer--alternative to the juice box for those who are tired of waiting for the PPK to arrive. Kelleners Sport, Hartge, AC Schnitzer, and Steinbauer Performance have excellent reputations and are the best known German tuners. They all have a long and intimate relationship with tuning BMW engines.

Turner Motor Sports is the U.S. distributor for Hartge and Bavarian Auto is the U.S. distributor for Kelleners Sport (and soon possibly Schnitzer). Steinbauer has a U.S. main office in South Carolina and can be contacted there to find out about a local installer in your area.

The problem with ECU mapping that is not by BMW is that it is easily discoverable by BMW service techs and will void the warranty should there be an engine problem. Piggybacks are plug-n-play and are easily removable and virtually invisible for having warranty service if you want to play hide-and-seek with BMW. Manufacturers make the claim for invisibility but I have seen some on these forums dispute that this is really possible.