F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 2012 6.5" Business Nav to 2012 8.8" Professional Nav Upgrade
Extreme Powerhouse

01-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #1
mortlock7
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 320d

2012 6.5" Business Nav to 2012 8.8" Professional Nav Upgrade

Hi everyone,

Firstly I'd like to say hello, I am new to this group! My name is Luke, I'm 21 and am currently in my final year of my Motorsport Engineering degree so am backwards and forwards between Norfolk and Oxford. I drive a late 2012 F31 320d M-Sport in metallic Sapphire Black - my previous car was an E92 335i N54 but I had a baby so had to go for something a bit more practical I've already made a few mods as you can see, I still have wheels and carbon splitter to go on when the weather cheers up.

Basically, like an idiot, I punched my iDrive display screen trying to get a fly out of the car and it cracked the glass so the last couple of days I have been researching the best option about mending this.

My current system is the 606 Business Navigation system with the 6.5" display and I really hate the small screen after coming from a professional nav system in my E92. I have seen pretty much everyone goes for the NBT upgrade however this was slightly out of my budget so I have just purchased an 8.8" Professional Nav system (display, HU and controller) from another 2012 F30.

The new HU and display:

I have read many threads and have seen that on later cars (post ~2014), changing from the 6.5 to the 8.8" display is just a case of swapping the display and coding two lines, however it sounds like this is not the case for the earlier models (such as my November 2012 car). There is also lots of information about NBT but I assume as I am just going to upgrade to Professional Nav that it is different somewhat. There seems to be so much information flying around that honestly I am a little baffled now and was hoping somebody here would be able to help me and clear up exactly what needs to be done for my particular situation.

What do I need to change from my 6.5" HU_CHAMP business nav to the 8.8" ProNav system I have bought? Am I right in saying I need a different screen cable? What other hardware do I need? And what exactly is the coding necessary for this? I have heard of a gentleman called Shawn mentioned. I have purchased an ENET cable but I am yet to acquire E-sys software, how do I go about getting this?

My current system has extended bluetooth, shows album artwork, has aux/usb, DAB radio and I don't want to lose any of these features.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I apologise it is a little lengthy, and hope you can help me!

Kind regards

Last edited by mortlock7; 01-16-2017 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F34 LCI MY2019

It's quite plug&play as you have already a combox.

Search here for Champ2 to CIC, I remember some few threads explaining this retrofit.

Yes, you need another screen cable, it's not a big deal. For the nav function you will need an emulator or script activation.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
mortlock7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TePee View Post
It's quite plug&play as you have already a combox.

Search here for Champ2 to CIC, I remember some few threads explaining this retrofit.

Yes, you need another screen cable, it's not a big deal. For the nav function you will need an emulator or script activation.
Thanks Tepee, I've read through a few more threads and I'm not sure I'm any more confident. Will the combox cause me more issues or will everything just plug back in where it is supposed to?

What does the emulator/script activation do? Could you please point me in the direction of what I need?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 01:55 AM   #4
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've seen you have already found this thread: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ght=Champ2+CIC

The combox is needed among others for all the media functions. The COC doesn't have this functions integrated and therefore needs the combox.
It is connected by one USB cable (the light brown plug).

The nav and some further functions need a code (FSC) for activation. In used CIC this is only working for a certain VIN, which belongs to the car originally equipped with this CIC. In order to get it working in your car the emulator filters out this VIN discrepancy.
At CIC there seem to be also another activation method by script enabling, but I have no experience with that.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 03:41 AM   #5
mortlock7
Private
Rep

Quote:
I've seen you have already found this thread: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ght=Champ2+CIC

The combox is needed among others for all the media functions. The COC doesn't have this functions integrated and therefore needs the combox.
It is connected by one USB cable (the light brown plug).

The nav and some further functions need a code (FSC) for activation. In used CIC this is only working for a certain VIN, which belongs to the car originally equipped with this CIC. In order to get it working in your car the emulator filters out this VIN discrepancy.
At CIC there seem to be also another activation method by script enabling, but I have no experience with that.
That makes sense! My car has one VIN, the new unit has another VIN, the emulator is used to trick the computer into thinking everything is okay. I understand now. The emulator seems the best way so I think I will go with that!

I've had a quick look on ebay, does this look okay? I'd like to avoid cutting any of the car's original wires. The emulator itself looks identical to the other ones that can be bought for about £55-60 but this would save me some time so don't mind the extra expense.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-NBT-F2...gAAOSwsFpWR6al

Secondly, does this screen cable look right? It says NBT but I assume that'll work with the CIC 8.5"? It is from Lithuania however, is that an issue?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3320775444...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks again for your help, TePee.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 03:52 AM   #6
TePee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No CIC uses a different screen cable. And it's also not worth to buy from Lithuania in my opinion. It's almost the same price new at BMW.

Regarding CIC emulator I have no experience but as the working principle is the same I guess it should be OK for CIC/NBT as well. This plug&play version is generally good as no wires need to be cut.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
mortlock7
Private
Rep

Quote:
No CIC uses a different screen cable. And it's also not worth to buy from Lithuania in my opinion. It's almost the same price new at BMW.

Regarding CIC emulator I have no experience but as the working principle is the same I guess it should be OK for CIC/NBT as well. This plug&play version is generally good as no wires need to be cut.
Thank you for that. I've ordered a cable from BMW. £35 however it should be the right one. I have also ordered an emulator so am now just waiting on bits to arrive.

You've said it's all relatively plug and play. With the emulator in, will everything work as it should? Or is coding still necessary? I would like to code some additional things like boot lid closing from the keyfob etc so would like to get E-Sys. How do I go about getting the software?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
mortlock7
Private
Rep

Can anybody tell me how I change my coding for 606 to 609? I've got a new display cable, an emulator and an ENET cable so now I just need to understand the coding. How do I get E-sys and how do I add/activate the 609 stuff?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #9
UKF30
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 LCI Black Saphire

Good work with exhaust mate
was it easy to get done and was it expensive work ?

Good choice adding big screen , you will love it .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #10
mortlock7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKF30 View Post
Good work with exhaust mate
was it easy to get done and was it expensive work ?

Good choice adding big screen , you will love it .
Thank you very easy, there's plenty of room under there so no issues getting the tube work over the other side. With the two 3.5" powerflow tips it was around £300

I can't wait to get it in now - I just need to learn about what coding is required then it'll be happening ASAP!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #11
UKF30
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 LCI Black Saphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortlock7 View Post
Thank you very easy, there's plenty of room under there so no issues getting the tube work over the other side. With the two 3.5" powerflow tips it was around £300

I can't wait to get it in now - I just need to learn about what coding is required then it'll be happening ASAP!

Defo getting those exhaust does on mine mate

vorph PM him because he is good with Sat navs and knows what he is talking about .

looking forward to see big screen in your car mate
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
mortlock7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKF30 View Post
Defo getting those exhaust does on mine mate

vorph PM him because he is good with Sat navs and knows what he is talking about .

looking forward to see big screen in your car mate
Thanks for that mate, I will message him now!

I will post pictures when it's done very busy with University at the minute though so no doubt it will be a few weeks till I even get the chance haha
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 04:55 AM   #13
mortlock7
Private
Rep

Someone must know the part number I need? Please help
      02-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #14
mortlock7
Private
Rep

Hello,

This afternoon I installed CIC pro nav to my 2012 car. I have deleted 606 and added 609 FA code but it won't allow me to code cmb media. I have no sound; radio, usb, telephone. When I try to code CMB i get VCm update is deactivated VCM will not be updated C197.

Actual error message as follows:

Caf's suchen
Tal wird generiert
Abarbeitung wird gestartet

Read SVT before TAL execution started.
Read SVT before TAL execution finished.

TAL execution started.
VCM Update: VCM-Update is deactivated. VCM will not be updated. [C197]
MCDDiagService<id=84900, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_ReadFlashTimingPara meters, service=RDBI_FTP - ReadDataByIdentifier FlashTimingParameter, description=error: timeout, link=Physical request to ECU with address 0x36>
[] use default timing parameters as an exception occured
[] - [Exception - CMB_MEDIA - 36] negative response error:
code: TIMEOUT P2/T2 occurred
description: P2 timeout on Service RDBI_FTP has error in result: [Severity=2051][ErrorCode=58640][ErrorCodeDescription=resource not available][VendorCode=2142][VendorCodeDescription=P2 timeout occured]; ECU: CMB_MEDIA_36_ETHERNET
severity: ERROR

and (after clicking close)

Transaktions-Report: Aktion: Codieren

CMB_MEDIA [36]
cdDeploy FinishedWithError
cafd_000005b6-004_002_017 NotExecutable

Last edited by mortlock7; 02-08-2017 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #15
mortlock7
Private
Rep

Can anybody help!?
      02-10-2017, 05:57 AM   #16
mortlock7
Private
Rep

I disconnected the emulator I was using and that fixed the issue. All media and audio is working correctly, however Nav no longer works (obviously). Apparently I can make this work with FSC code? How do I go about that? Thanks!