F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Head unit / amp question
proTUNING Freaks

08-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
mf2kta
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Head unit / amp question

To begin, I am not a stereo/audio person in the least. I just traded in an 06 330i with the upgraded stereo system. That stereo sounded great. I loved it. Just bought a 2013 328i with standard stereo. I never listened to the stereo during the test drive, I "assumed" it would sound good. It does not. I plan to buy the bavsound speakers. My questions:

1 - No one seems to question the head unit. Is it fine? Same quality as HK head unit?

2 - Replacing factory amp...(again, not a stereo person)...Do you have to run all new wires to the head unit, or do you use the existing wires from the existing amp and some kind of harness. I would not replace the amp myself, just curious about how much effort is involved.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=40
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #3
mf2kta
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Wow, thanks!

You sell that harness? website?

So with better speakers and the amp, I should be good to go? I'm not looking for "audiophile" quality, I just want crisp/clean sound with good quality bass. I don't turn up the volume really loud, I just like it to sound "good."
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf2kta View Post
Wow, thanks!

You sell that harness? website?

So with better speakers and the amp, I should be good to go? I'm not looking for "audiophile" quality, I just want crisp/clean sound with good quality bass. I don't turn up the volume really loud, I just like it to sound "good."
Please use PM...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

After reading Technics thread to see what is involved, you should reconsider upgrading the amp yourself using his harness.

The amp is definitely one of the weak links in the system. The thing is tiny and weighs almost nothing. Replace it and you may likely stop there. The improvements are quite significant, even sticking with the OEM speakers.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

Hi there. I need help with mine.

Unfortunately for me, I don't even have an amp. I have the very basic UK stereo which has 6 speakers no amp.

I really want to install an amp but I don't know what I need to begin.

Do I need to purchase all the necessary wirings/harness? Is there any other way of doing it?

Thanks guys.
      09-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

You could either:

- use a 4ch, high level inputs, signal sensing aftermarket amp to power front and underseat woofers separately. Rear speakers will be powered by OEM iDrive.
- use a 7ch DSP/amp to power all your OEM speakers plus a center.

Regardless of the option chosen, at least the front speakers should be upgraded to an aftermarket component set.

These are the easiest two options as an upgrade of your non-OEM amp system. Anything else will require additional install/equipment effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE YOUNG View Post
Hi there. I need help with mine.

Unfortunately for me, I don't even have an amp. I have the very basic UK stereo which has 6 speakers no amp.

I really want to install an amp but I don't know what I need to begin.

Do I need to purchase all the necessary wirings/harness? Is there any other way of doing it?

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #8
JamesJX
Rep
Drives: honda

I need benefit acquire.
Regrettably for me personally, When i never get the amp. We've the very basic UK stereo that has 6 audio system no amp.
When i really want to install the amp nevertheless When i don't know just what I need to get started.
Complete I need to invest in the many necessary wirings/harness? Will there be every other method of doing it?
      02-19-2015, 05:21 AM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJX View Post
I need benefit acquire.
Regrettably for me personally, When i never get the amp. We've the very basic UK stereo that has 6 audio system no amp.
When i really want to install the amp nevertheless When i don't know just what I need to get started.
Complete I need to invest in the many necessary wirings/harness? Will there be every other method of doing it?
BMW sells a non-OEM amp system upgrade, complete with an Alpine OEM amp, front OEM speakers and OEM harness. Check with your local dealer.
Appreciate 0