F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d service cost
ARMA SPEED

03-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #23
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
It's absolutely fine if you want to do it, I just want to help others so that they don't think that it's at all necessary.

Bit harsh saying that because someone PCP's their car they can't afford it! That's like saying someone who has a mortgage can't afford their house!!
That would also probably be true though.

Yes it was a sweeping statement but if we are being honest I would say that over 80% of people who PCP a BMW do so because they don't have the finances to be able to buy one for cash.

Being able to buy a £40k+ car for cash and choosing to PCP are two different things, lot of people on here will say that paying cash for a depreciating asset is crazy but the majority of those people don't have the option even if they wanted to.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #24
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
That would also probably be true though.

Yes it was a sweeping statement but if we are being honest I would say that over 80% of people who PCP a BMW do so because they don't have the finances to be able to buy one for cash.

Being able to buy a £40k+ car for cash and choosing to PCP are two different things, lot of people on here will say that paying cash for a depreciating asset is crazy but the majority of those people don't have the option even if they wanted to.
Only a very miniscule amount of people have £40k just laying around, and I dare say that anyone who did have that much would do something far more sensible with it like paying off some of their mortgage or upgrading to a bigger house!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #25
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Only a very miniscule amount of people have £40k just laying around, and I dare say that anyone who did have that much would do something far more sensible with it like paying off some of their mortgage or upgrading to a bigger house!
Maybe some people have big houses and no mortgage already
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Maybe some people have big houses and no mortgage already
Was my situation... plenty big enough house, all paid for years ago. Sorted my share holdings, consolidated the pension and it left me a bit of 'loose change' to put with the trade in, to buy the 535i.

When I replace the 535i it will likely be different, as how I draw down cash from investments is a different matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
If they were buying, or buying in the used market, I suspect the attitude to the service history would be very different.

But as I said. I own my car. Not hire it until I get bored of it.
There is something it that statement, seen it many times.

I've had an extra interim oil service on my 535i, decision made after reading the DI petrol engines can get more carbon in the oil (like diesel). I've bought a high optioned car with no specific plans when to trade it. If it continues to suit my needs and feels right to keep, it will stay. An extra oil service every couple of years, (annual oil service) is a small cost to keep a very complex engine lubricated and clean(er) inside.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #28
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Because some people still work to the outdated recommendations from before long life oils (and oil filters) came out around 20 years ago.
Is that true? I am no expert engine oils. I change mine every 6-8K. I just assumed that clean oil was better for your engine than the oil at the point when BMW recommend it needs to be changed. Therefore changing it more frequently would have benefits. If I am wrong please point me to where I can read about it.

When I sell my cars, the buyers always ask how often the oil was changed and I produce the receipts and they look happy.

I have a different approach to buying my cars. Since 18 I have always got a low interest bank loan for my cars. Each time I pay off the loan, I change cars and the equity is always greater. So each time I get a better car and am building equity with minimal interest. I have been paying £250 per month for my cars since then and when I bought this one had about 20K equity.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #29
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post
Is that true? I am no expert engine oils. I change mine every 6-8K. I just assumed that clean oil was better for your engine than the oil at the point when BMW recommend it needs to be changed. Therefore changing it more frequently would have benefits. If I am wrong please point me to where I can read about it.
Synthetic oils give a better service life than we used to get years back.

Still debatable whether the service intervals are too long. Some in the trade definitely say issues, such as timing chain failures, are due to long service intervals.

Member of my family spent his career as a tribologist with the Atomic Energy Authority. He suggests changing the filter (interim filter change) is more important than the oil, when quality oils are used. Filtration is often the weak link.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #30
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post

When I sell my cars, the buyers always ask how often the oil was changed and I produce the receipts and they look happy.

I have a different approach to buying my cars. Since 18 I have always got a low interest bank loan for my cars. Each time I pay off the loan, I change cars and the equity is always greater. So each time I get a better car and am building equity with minimal interest. I have been paying £250 per month for my cars since then and when I bought this one had about 20K equity.
It is also condition based, so the car monitors usage and the condition of the oil to adjust the service intervals suitably, mine come round every 14-15k and I have no doubt that is more than often enough.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #31
rosstin
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i saloon

Quote:
If I couldn't afford to buy a car and had to do a PCP like you
Crikey just come out with it
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      03-18-2018, 04:56 PM   #32
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosstin View Post
Crikey just come out with it
teaston knows the score, he likes to give it out so its only fair that he has his share when it's due
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 04:03 AM   #33
rdabbm
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Plus

I've just been quoted £468 from Dick Lovett Swindon and Cooper Reading for an Oil, Oil filter, fuel filter etc and vehicle check service.

Seems a bit steep? Anyone know of any indy BMW garages in the Cotswold Area that can also throw it into iDrive?

Last edited by rdabbm; 03-19-2018 at 04:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:59 AM   #34
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdabbm View Post
I've just been quoted £468 from Dick Lovett Swindon and Cooper Reading for an Oil, Oil filter, fuel filter etc and vehicle check service.

Seems a bit steep? Anyone know of any indy BMW garages in the Cotswold Area that can also throw it into iDrive?
Get a labour only rate from Cotswold BMW Cheltenham and buy the parts from Lloyd at Rybrook BMW in Warwick that's what I do
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #35
S111SYA
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F30 320dM Sport Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
Oh, I agree. Most on here, in spite of all their bragging about 'my wonderful 340i, etc', don't own their cars. They're hiring the car until they get bored of it, and the next 'Ooh shiny' comes along. They've got the attention span of a goldfish.......

......But as I said. I own my car. Not hire it until I get bored of it.
What an absolutely arrogant prickish couple of things to write by the way.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 06:46 AM   #36
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S111SYA View Post
What an absolutely arrogant prickish couple of things to write by the way.
I agree with what he wrote with the exception of the Goldfish comment
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #37
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d MSport+

Just to wade in with a comment.

Who gives a shit whether anyone pays cash or PCP, keeps it or trades it, cherishes it or bashes it?

I love my new car but I couldn't afford to buy it outright. The majority of people that borrow against the rising value of their property just so they can pay 'cash' to keep up with the Jones' are no different to someone who gets a PCP deal, who in turn is no different to someone who pays cash.

As long as people live to their means, it doesn't matter in the slightest.
      03-19-2018, 07:08 AM   #38
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dMSport+ View Post

Who gives a shit whether anyone pays cash or PCP, keeps it or trades it, cherishes it or bashes it?

I love my new car but I couldn't afford to buy it outright. The majority of people that borrow against the rising value of their property just so they can pay 'cash' to keep up with the Jones' are no different to someone who gets a PCP deal, who in turn is no different to someone who pays cash.

It originally came about as those who own their cars would get an oil change more often than BMW suggest as 2 years or 19,000 miles is too long, those with a PCP generally wont as they don't own the car and probably wont be keeping it anyway.

Anyone who borrows money against their house on the basis that it will increase in value is taking a risk and yes that's madness in my opinion.

Paying cash for a car when you have not borrowed the money but have saved it is not the same as a PCP which is what this was about
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:34 AM   #39
4WDriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31/F-Type 3.0

I'll just wade in:
Highland Pete is right, a filter is more important than new oil but do both! Perkins did tests 35 years ago and were surprised by their own results.

To play devil's advocate, if a car was serviced more than the manufacturer recommends would I be suspicious it had only had the extra oils because it's had a hard life?

To the OP, £317 was about what I was quoted. I got my 7 litres of "genuine" Shell ECT oil from Carparts4less for under £40 amnd paid at total of £213.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 07:39 AM   #40
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

It originally came about as those who own their cars would get an oil change more often than BMW suggest as 2 years or 19,000 miles is too long, those with a PCP generally wont as they don't own the car and probably wont be keeping it anyway.

Anyone who borrows money against their house on the basis that it will increase in value is taking a risk and yes that's madness in my opinion.

Paying cash for a car when you have not borrowed the money but have saved it is not the same as a PCP which is what this was about
I still disagree with you.

BMW are the experts and if they say that the oil doesn't need changing then fine by me. If I decide that I want to change the oil in between services then also fine.

If I'm only using my car for personal mileage and I choose to spend my savings or decide that to PCP as I want a new car every two years, it makes no difference.

If I'm doing business miles and claim an allowance which means that I need to keep the car within a certain age or mileage to continue receiving an allowance then it becomes less about buying a car to keep but more about knowing that in 2-5 years, I'll NEED to change. So therefore before paying out loads of hard saved cash, you'd put down a minimal deposit and keep the payments within a comfortable percentage of your allowance.

Me? I top up my allowance with my own cash to drive the car I want to drive.

My colleague, he buys a three year old car for relative peanuts, using a low APR loan, runs it for two years and sells it on. In some years, his cost of motoring has been negative so therefore his savings pot has increased dramatically.

Who's right, who's wrong? It just comes down to personal circumstances and personal choice in my opinion.
      03-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #41
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I still disagree with you.

BMW are the experts and if they say that the oil doesn't need changing then fine by me. If I decide that I want to change the oil in between services then also fine.

If I'm only using my car for personal mileage and I choose to spend my savings or decide that to PCP as I want a new car every two years, it makes no difference.

If I'm doing business miles and claim an allowance which means that I need to keep the car within a certain age or mileage to continue receiving an allowance then it becomes less about buying a car to keep but more about knowing that in 2-5 years, I'll NEED to change. So therefore before paying out loads of hard saved cash, you'd put down a minimal deposit and keep the payments within a comfortable percentage of your allowance.

Me? I top up my allowance with my own cash to drive the car I want to drive.

My colleague, he buys a three year old car for relative peanuts, using a low APR loan, runs it for two years and sells it on. In some years, his cost of motoring has been negative so therefore his savings pot has increased dramatically.

Who's right, who's wrong? It just comes down to personal circumstances and personal choice in my opinion.
I am not sure BMW are experts when it comes to oil, Shell, Castrol then yes experts.

BMW will take advise from these guys and make commercial decisions based on what they are advised.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #42
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

@JLR1969 Good to see that you didn't disagree with my other comments.

You don't think that an engine manufacturer understands and employs experts in one of the main running components of their product?

Delusional.
      03-19-2018, 08:53 AM   #43
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

You don't think that an engine manufacturer understands and employs experts in one of the main running components of their product?

Delusional.
I didn't disagree because I lost interest and couldn't be bothered to answer, I just found you boring and single minded.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 09:20 AM   #44
335dMSport+
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Delusional.
I didn't disagree because I lost interest and couldn't be bothered to answer, I just found you boring and single minded.
Yet still had enough interest to reply to both of my posts.

You keep listening to the voices in your head petal, expecting everyone to believe your delusional views.