F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > DIY - 2012 F30 NBT retrofit (All features enabled)
Extreme Powerhouse

12-15-2016, 06:41 PM   #1
AJ2206
320i F30 Sportline
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i F30 Sportline

DIY - 2012 F30 NBT retrofit (All features enabled)

Hi Aussie Bimmers,
Sharing my DIY NBT retrofit thread in the Aussie forum (was new to Bimmerpost when I created the below thread on general F30 forum!)

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1329739

Cheers,
Appreciate 3
feng127.50
bcoz80.50
tjlees349.00
      12-24-2016, 03:33 AM   #2
I CU2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: IS250

How much was the total cost of this, if you don't mind me asking? Is it as hard as it looks?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #3
gekrem
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335i

Keen to understand if you have a part list, cost and what was required to have this all setup from a coding perspective. I'm keen to do it on my F30. Patrick from Bimmertech has an NBT kit which is approx. $4 grand AUD.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
AJ2206
320i F30 Sportline
Australia
Rep

Total Cost

Guys,
Sorry for the late reply, have been off since last week.

I bought the kit off Ebay and everything costed me less than 2K AUD (yes, thats everything top to bottom, even the tools and cost to code everything remotely!). Essentially the main components you will need are as follows (everything was supplied to me by one vendor based out of Lithuana):

1) NBT headunit for F3x cars. (NBT)
2) NBT monitor for F3x cars
3) Video wire NBT to CID
4) New Style TouchPad controller (this was really important to me as the bigger dial with touchpad is simply awesome )

5) ECU unit for the TouchPad controller

6) PnP emulator with plug and play wires for microphone, touch ecu, and touch idrive. - This is the MOST important component as the its a wiring harness that makes things plug and play, really easy! The part that I received had very good quality insulated wires. Also the fact that it had ECU unit controller (item 5 above) and NBT emulator integrated in the harness which ensures no wires to be spliced manually.

7) Newest maps for your region (again, the 2016 maps are just awesome and this vendor gave me the activation code for free! )

8) Coding for your vehicle VIN number (Remotely done by the vendor, all you need is an internet connection and OBD-II Enet cable (item 9 below) which is also supplied by the vendor

9) ENET coding cable

10) USB cable for usb in the armrest. (Another plug and play wire supplied by the vendor which avoids the tedious process of trimming old usb connector pin and rotating it by 180 degree)

11) T20 (Torx 20 screwdriver) and car dashboard trim removal kit - NOT supplied by the vendor but can be bought off ebay in less than 20 bucks...

(mind it, i bought an NBT-1 and not NBT evo thats been sold at Bimmertech. Although NBT Evo looks really fancy with Idrive 6 interface, to me shelling out that much money was uncalled for, given how good Idrive 4 performs in the NBT-1 that I use. All NBT Evo has extra is touch screen interface and a fancier layout of icons on main screen - not worth double the price!!)

Here's the ebay link for the kit from the same seller (Naviprof) - I would highly recommend him as he supported the install well. Not a 5 star as there were delays at times due to time difference but overall support and part quality are impeccable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-f30-f31-...wAAOSweW5VVcsS

Lastly far as the retrofit is concerned, its certainly not for the faint hearted. But if you've ever worked with small tools before on menial household jobs, this installation will be a cakewalk! It took me 5 hours in total when I did it but now I think I can knock the installation part within 2 hours, coding another 45 mins (done by the vendor).

Hope this information helps!

Cheers...
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2016, 10:38 PM   #5
I CU2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks! Does he give you an instruction guide as well on how to install? The only thing I'm scared of is splicing/cutting wires.

Does wiring change depending on your sound system? Eg. Base, HiFi, Harmon Kardon?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 06:20 AM   #6
AJ2206
320i F30 Sportline
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
Thanks! Does he give you an instruction guide as well on how to install? The only thing I'm scared of is splicing/cutting wires.

Does wiring change depending on your sound system? Eg. Base, HiFi, Harmon Kardon?
Well that's the best part, NO splicing or cutting any wires if you the get right harness like I did. It's plug and play.

Physical installation ain't too bad - google DIY F30 NBT retrofit and you will get plenty of links which show the installation process in detail...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 06:48 AM   #7
I CU2
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2206 View Post
Well that's the best part, NO splicing or cutting any wires if you the get right harness like I did. It's plug and play.

Physical installation ain't too bad - google DIY F30 NBT retrofit and you will get plenty of links which show the installation process in detail...

Cheers,

I cam across this video:

It looks so much easier vs. other installs I've seen with cutting/splitting wires. Is your install the same?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 07:41 AM   #8
AJ2206
320i F30 Sportline
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I CU2 View Post
Cheers,

I cam across this video:

It looks so much easier vs. other installs I've seen with cutting/splitting wires. Is your install the same?
Yes, about the same (minus one step) .. I didn't have to connect MOST cable to the harness which only makes it easier as my module didn't have these connections ...

If you were in Brisbane, I would've extended better support by paying a visit
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #9
S_Onyx
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport

Does anyone know where in Sydney can retrofit the NBT if I purchased the parts?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #10
RogueAI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Co/2022 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Onyx View Post
Does anyone know where in Sydney can retrofit the NBT if I purchased the parts?
Carbon Car Systems may. They work on a lot of euro models and know them well. Did the sound system in mine and I'm very happy with the work
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #11
S_Onyx
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kier77 View Post
Carbon Car Systems may. They work on a lot of euro models and know them well. Did the sound system in mine and I'm very happy with the work
Cool. Cheers Kier77! I will contact them for a quote.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 07:01 PM   #12
kajf30
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mineral Grey 320D M Sport

Quote:
Guys,

I bought the kit off Ebay and everything costed me less than 2K AUD (yes, thats everything top to bottom, even the tools and cost to code everything remotely!). Essentially the main components you will need are as follows (everything was supplied to me by one vendor based out of Lithuana):

3) Video wire NBT to CID
4) New Style TouchPad controller (this was really important to me as the bigger dial with touchpad is simply awesome )

6) PnP emulator with plug and play wires for microphone, touch ecu, and touch idrive. - This is the MOST important component as the its a wiring harness that makes things plug and play, really easy! The part that I received had very good quality insulated wires. Also the fact that it had ECU unit controller (item 5 above) and NBT emulator integrated in the harness which ensures no wires to be spliced manually.

7) Newest maps for your region (again, the 2016 maps are just awesome and this vendor gave me the activation code for free! )

8) Coding for your vehicle VIN number (Remotely done by the vendor, all you need is an internet connection and OBD-II Enet cable (item 9 below) which is also supplied by the vendor

9) ENET coding cable

10) USB cable for usb in the armrest. (Another plug and play wire supplied by the vendor which avoids the tedious process of trimming old usb connector pin and rotating it by 180 degree)

11) T20 (Torx 20 screwdriver) and car dashboard trim removal kit - NOT supplied by the vendor but can be bought off ebay in less than 20 bucks...

(mind it, i bought an NBT-1 and not NBT evo thats been sold at Bimmertech. Although NBT Evo looks really fancy with Idrive 6 interface, to me shelling out that much money was uncalled for, given how good Idrive 4 performs in the NBT-1 that I use. All NBT Evo has extra is touch screen interface and a fancier layout of icons on main screen - not worth double the price!!)

Here's the ebay link for the kit from the same seller (Naviprof) - I would highly recommend him as he supported the install well. Not a 5 star as there were delays at times due to time difference but overall support and part quality are impeccable.

Lastly far as the retrofit is concerned, its certainly not for the faint hearted. But if you've ever worked with small tools before on menial household jobs, this installation will be a cakewalk! It took me 5 hours in total when I did it but now I think I can knock the installation part within 2 hours, coding another 45 mins (done by the vendor).

Cheers...
Funny I just came across this..I just purchased the exact same kit from the Same ebay seller and am patiently waiting for it to come! So according to you installation is not rocket science and the overall package seems to be in good nick? Do you have any tips or tricks that might help me out as well? This is gonna the the first time im doing it but I have taken out my current headunit to wire up some amplifiers and speakers previously. Cheers man! Btw your build thread was very helpful and explanatory. Also have you had any further issues with the setup? Like some options not working or any glitches? And do you service as bmw? Because I have the service package so I'm wondering if the retrofit is gonna be an issue when they go to update the service records and stuff because I don't see the unit affecting the engine or its service for that matter. Thank you in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:45 PM   #13
AJ2206
320i F30 Sportline
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajf30 View Post
Quote:
Guys,

3) Video wire NBT to CID

9) ENET coding cable

Cheers...
Funny I just came across this..I just purchased the exact same kit from the Same ebay seller and am patiently waiting for it to come! So according to you installation is not rocket science and the overall package seems to be in good nick? Do you have any tips or tricks that might help me out as well? This is gonna the the first time im doing it but I have taken out my current headunit to wire up some amplifiers and speakers previously. Cheers man! Btw your build thread was very helpful and explanatory. Also have you had any further issues with the setup? Like some options not working or any glitches? And do you service as bmw? Because I have the service package so I'm wondering if the retrofit is gonna be an issue when they go to update the service records and stuff because I don't see the unit affecting the engine or its service for that matter. Thank you in advance!
Sorry for the late reply mate - bet you would've successfully completed the retrofit by now. o answer your question, all features work for me including BMW online and apps like M-Lap timer, sport dials, RT weather, prof Nav etc. Not had a problem at all as the vendor support for coding etc. was really good.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 07:47 PM   #14
AJ2206
320i F30 Sportline
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajf30 View Post
Quote:
Guys,

3) Video wire NBT to CID

9) ENET coding cable

Cheers...
Sorry for the late reply mate - bet you would've successfully completed the retrofit by now. o answer your question, all features work for me including BMW online and apps like M-Lap timer, sport dials, RT weather, prof Nav etc. Not had a problem at all as the vendor support for coding etc. was really good.
Also, i do service with BMW and just got servicing done last week with the retrofit installed. They not only didn't complain about the retrofit but also updated all my service records in the new unit which I had lost due to the upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #15
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Big thanks to AJ2206 for hooking me up with Naviprof

I got the NBT with the 10.25in display & touch controller, seller was top notch and the price is very very reasonable.

PM me if you want his contact
      07-02-2017, 04:59 AM   #16
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

more photos

Absolutely stoked, speed alone is worth it, no more wrong turns because of vague buisness navigation either
      07-03-2017, 07:24 AM   #17
donR
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E91 335i, B5 RS4, F31 330i

Garage List
Looks like a great upgrade.

Excuse my ignorance but what actually does NBT mean? I am still in the dark ages with Idrive 1 in our 335i.

So is this the latest nav system called Idrive 6? What are the major benefits apart from the bigger screen?

Just wondering what sort of phone features it has? Will it read out text messages from Android and Apple phones? Any apps like Google maps?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 02:23 AM   #18
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donR View Post
Looks like a great upgrade.

Excuse my ignorance but what actually does NBT mean? I am still in the dark ages with Idrive 1 in our 335i.

So is this the latest nav system called Idrive 6? What are the major benefits apart from the bigger screen?

Just wondering what sort of phone features it has? Will it read out text messages from Android and Apple phones? Any apps like Google maps?
dunno what idrive 1 is?

for me the main benefit is the speed, updated multimedia functions, clearer navigation (compared to buisness nav) and the larger screen.

If I had the 8.8cic nav professional, i probably wouldnt have bothered upgrading aye
      08-08-2017, 09:54 AM   #19
rkspeck33
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi - F32

Also did this retrofit from the same vendor. Having a few more issues then the other guys, but We will continue work on Coding.

Not Working:
1. Trip Info
2. Onboard Info
3. BlueTooth Mic (Not working) Anyone else have this issue? Sound comes through and bluetooth works, but the MIC does not. I have the cord coming from the NBT to the Mic in the headliner.
4. Vehicle information gone (Vehicle picture not showing up or the info)
5. Still need Video in Motion
6. Extended Office wouldn't work, kept removing Telephone. He was going to go back and investigate some more on a trial system
7. Cluster and Radio not fully communicating
8. Losing Time and Date every time I shut off my car, and turn it back on. Time never updating on the Screen from NBT or the Cluster.
9. Service records (lost currently) but it sounds like I Can go the dealer and they will update it for me?
10. Internet
11. Eco-Systems not showing the picture or diagrams

I know that seems like a lot, (it is) but
Working:
Sound
M-Logo turn on screen
Enhanced Bluetooth (just not the Mic)
Radio
Sirius
USB port now plays music and with Album Art
DVD/CD player (Watch movies on my lunch.)
Touch iController
BMW Apps
Split Screen

The only thing Im really worried about is the Blue Tooth Mic. Not sure why its not working.......
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 04:06 PM   #20
Jtara
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320D F30

This is seemling exactly what I want in my new (to me) 2012 320D! Does anyone know of somewhere in melbourne I might be able to get this done?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 05:29 PM   #21
AJ2206
320i F30 Sportline
Australia
Rep

Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtara View Post
This is seemling exactly what I want in my new (to me) 2012 320D! Does anyone know of somewhere in melbourne I might be able to get this done?
Hey mate, no clues about Melbourne but just letting you know that I haven't come across any garage or shop that does it for you, at least in Brisbane. It's mostly a DIY project.

I've done it for a few folks in Brizzy but unfortunately not your city!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #22
Who?
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspeck33 View Post
Also did this retrofit from the same vendor. Having a few more issues then the other guys, but We will continue work on Coding.

Not Working:

3. BlueTooth Mic (Not working) Anyone else have this issue? Sound comes through and bluetooth works, but the MIC does not. I have the cord coming from the NBT to the Mic in the headliner.
let me know if you sort this, ive only realized afterthefact mine doesn't work, been trying to figure it out for a while now..