F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 435 -----> M4
Extreme Powerhouse

10-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport

Love my 435i but thinking of making the move to more of a drivers car. With the money I've spent on my 435i, I'm not that far off of a year newer, lower mileage M4....

Anybody here made the switch?
Appreciate 1
Insane435476.50
      10-31-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
T_flare
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I haven't because as much as I would love a m4, I can't imagine it being the perfect everyday driver, driving 300 miles a week and lasting as long as my 435i.

I feel confident the 435i has a better chance to go 5 years 100k than an m4.

Other than that, if your situation is different, m4 is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 03:03 PM   #3
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

I wouldn't get the current generation M3/M4 at this point in the game. So before the villagers start grabbing their pitchforks, I'll state that this is entirely my opinion and not necessarily fact lol.

The M3/M4 was definitely the car to have several years ago when the platform was new and the competition wasn't as stiff. 425hp with a 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds is getting dangerously close to what a new S4/S5 or C43 pump out. Given that the latter send power to all 4 wheels, I'd be hard pressed to make the current M3/M4 my car of choice as a year round driver or a long haul daily commuter. I'd take a pass on the current M3/M4 until the next generation version comes out on the G platform. I'd only really be inclined to make the jump now if I was able to get an absolutely incredible deal on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
Calvin36
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M Sport

Really depends on the usage. Will it be a commuter?
      10-31-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
uncleruckus
no relation
Rep
Drives: F30 328i xDrive

It also depends on what you want in a M3/M4.... the current M3/M4 may be the last generation that's offered in RWD and with a manual (or even DCT). The G series m3/m4 will most likely have ZF Auto transmission (instead of "true" DCT) and there are rumors that there will be no manual option; much like the new M5.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
I wouldn't get the current generation M3/M4 at this point in the game. So before the villagers start grabbing their pitchforks, I'll state that this is entirely my opinion and not necessarily fact lol.

The M3/M4 was definitely the car to have several years ago when the platform was new and the competition wasn't as stiff. 425hp with a 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds is getting dangerously close to what a new S4/S5 or C43 pump out. Given that the latter send power to all 4 wheels, I'd be hard pressed to make the current M3/M4 my car of choice as a year round driver or a long haul daily commuter. I'd take a pass on the current M3/M4 until the next generation version comes out on the G platform. I'd only really be inclined to make the jump now if I was able to get an absolutely incredible deal on it.
I think 0-60 is the only metric regarding speed they'd be close on and it's acutually not that close. Car and Driver got 3.7s 0-60 on the non comp pack M4 and got 4.1 from the Merc C43. That is a big difference. Especially given that the Merc is only down ~20lb ft and has AWD

Performance is really no where near that of the M4 for what you mentioned.

I'm not trying to tell you what your preference should be but the M3/4 performance is the real deal
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      10-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435ix M Sport EWG

Quote:

Agreed, but that it straight line speed, pretty sure the M3/M4 can dust those cars on the twisties/tracks. Too bad it sounds really bad IMO otherwise I would literally make the switch, still debating it pending an exhaust setup that I can stand.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 04:13 PM   #8
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

I actually made the switch and I'm not regretting it one bit. As a matter in fact, I don't think that you will find many to say otherwise.

To address what T_flare was saying earlier:
I have put almost 8000 miles on the car since I bought it in June as my commute is quite long.
I do Geneva to Lausanne 3 times a week, which brings me to at least 300 miles a week with the car.
So far, it's proving to be an excellent everyday car. I haven't tracked it yet, but I plan to.

Anyway, it's comfortable for the commute and makes me look forward each morning and evening when I get to drive it.

And then there are times where I get to drive it on the twisty bits and you really see what it's capable of.
It's a very different beast to my 435d. It feels more raw, more planted and gives you better feedback on what the car is doing.

When you're in throttle mode Sport+, the throttle response is amazing. It just feels instantaneous.
When you accelerate with the DCT in S3 (most aggressive mode) and upshift, it feels like you're riding an uninterrupted wave of power

Oddly enough, in this car, my wife doesn't get sick anymore when I drive more ... spiritedly I put it to the better suspension.

As a side note, what I didn't expect was the attention that it gets on the road, in a way that my 435 never drew. I've gotten waves, thumbs up and photos taken of my car from other people on the road.

That's not to say that it's a flawless car, but to me, it's by far the best one that I've owned to date.

The only downside compared to my old one (435d) would be the fuel consumption.
But I think against a 435i, the difference in consumption is lower.

I also didn't get to see the cost over time yet either, so that's something to think about.
Insurance wise, it actually lowered from my old one

I'd like to end by addressing 5ilver-5amurai 's point.
The next gen 3 series will debut next year, but the next gen M3/M4 will only start production ~2021.
That's a lot of time to wait for a "new" one.
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 04:17 PM   #9
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Tried the M4.... got a used 435i loaded M options instead and tweaked her. Saved about $15,000 to $20,000 doing it. Actually, would have gotten the Jag F-Type R, but not enough legroom for me.

Anywho.... For me, the 435i tweaked makes for a far better overall street legal car than the M4. If you're looking to track the car often, then perhaps the M4 would be better but not by as much as you might think as the N/S55 engine pumps out well over 400HP/TQ.

Have you tried the Jag F-Type R?

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 06:18 PM   #10
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
I actually made the switch and I'm not regretting it one bit. As a matter in fact, I don't think that you will find many to say otherwise.

I have put almost 8000 miles on the car since I bought it in June as my commute is quite long.
I do Geneva to Lausanne 3 times a week, which brings me to at least 300 miles a week with the car.
So far, it's proving to be an excellent everyday car. I haven't tracked it yet, but I plan to.

Anyway, it's comfortable for the commute and makes me look forward each morning and evening when I get to drive it.

And then there are times where I get to drive it on the twisty bits and you really see what it's capable of.
It's a very different beast to my 435d. It feels more raw, more planted and gives you better feedback on what the car is doing.

When you're in throttle mode Sport+, the throttle response is amazing. It just feels instantaneous.
When you accelerate with the DCT in S3 (most aggressive mode) and upshift, it feels like you're riding an uninterrupted wave of power

Oddly enough, in this car, my wife doesn't get sick anymore when I drive more ... spiritedly I put it to the better suspension.

As a side note, what I didn't expect was the attention that it gets on the road, in a way that my 435 never drew. I've gotten waves, thumbs up and photos taken of my car from other people on the road.

That's not to say that it's a flawless car, but to me, it's by far the best one that I've owned to date.

I also didn't get to see the cost over time yet either, so that's something to think about.

The next gen 3 series will debut next year, but the next gen M3/M4 will only start production ~2021.
THe million dollar question is: thoughts on the sound?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane435 View Post
Well, I like the ZCP exhaust... but then again this is coming from a guy that lived for 3 years with a 435 diesel :P
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well, I like the ZCP exhaust... but then again this is coming from a guy that lived for 3 years with a 435 diesel :P
Did you have a downpip or anything on the 435?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 06:32 PM   #13
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Did you have a downpip or anything on the 435?
Nope ... the Swiss are quite restrictive to what you can modify on the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 07:05 PM   #14
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_flare View Post
I haven't because as much as I would love a m4, I can't imagine it being the perfect everyday driver, driving 300 miles a week and lasting as long as my 435i.

I feel confident the 435i has a better chance to go 5 years 100k than an m4.

Other than that, if your situation is different, m4 is the way to go.
I'd agree it has a better chance. I've also read S55 owners with 65k with no issues. I'd hoping if I pull the trigger I'll get another cheaper car to put most of my miles on

Quote:

I'm not interested in the S5 because of the old body style, and I'm not a fan of the C43 coupes, I'm tall and the sedan is too small for me. I also have Xdrive now and I miss RWD more than anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin36 View Post
Really depends on the usage. Will it be a commuter?
I drive about 20k miles a year. I'd say 40-50% of that would go on the M

Quote:

New G chassis will be out of my budget, I'd be looking at a used 2015-2016 at 50-55k.

I'm def curious about the cost of ownership of an M4 vs 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Tried the M4.... got a used 435i loaded M options instead and tweaked her. Saved about $15,000 to $20,000 doing it. Actually, would have gotten the Jag F-Type R, but not enough legroom for me.

Anywho.... For me, the 435i tweaked makes for a far better overall street legal car than the M4. If you're looking to track the car often, then perhaps the M4 would be better but not by as much as you might think as the N/S55 engine pumps out well over 400HP/TQ.

Have you tried the Jag F-Type R?
I have upgraded suspension as well (KW coilovers) and it rides great but still feels heavy around corners. I've already spent a good $5k on mods and doing bolt ons and BM3 to get me to 400+ hp would be another 5k anyways, so why not just go M3?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 07:09 PM   #15
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I also want to add I agree on the "presence" aspect. I got lots of compliments on my 435, and as much as people always ask if it's an M4, the M4 has a much more wide and aggressive appearance.

The N55 also undoubtably sounds better but the S55 doesn't sound bad IMO, it's sounds unique which is a plus IMO
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 11:10 PM   #16
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I went from a fully loaded 340i M Sport to an M3. They are worlds apart and as much as I loved my 340i, I would have saved a lot of $$ by just going straight to the M3. I daily commute 80 miles a day with no problem. I actually got an i3 to split duties just for wear and tear and despite what a "better" daily drive the i3 is, I get that am3 itch every single day. Compared to my 340i, the M3 is just as comfortable as a daily. Throttle modulation is something you get used to. It's very easy to spin the tires when overtaking.

Quote:

You are going to be waiting a long time. As another poster pointed out, 0-60 is not the ONLY metric. If it is, then go ahead and skip the M3/4 because that's the wrong car for you.

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, but that it straight line speed, pretty sure the M3/M4 can dust those cars on the twisties/tracks. Too bad it sounds really bad IMO otherwise I would literally make the switch, still debating it pending an exhaust setup that I can stand.

My MPE sounds awesome. I'd suggest an akropovik though, if you are planning on buying.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
stormlv928.00
      10-31-2017, 11:42 PM   #17
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbweber View Post
I have upgraded suspension as well (KW coilovers) and it rides great but still feels heavy around corners. I've already spent a good $5k on mods and doing bolt ons and BM3 to get me to 400+ hp would be another 5k anyways, so why not just go M3?
The M4 isn't really lighter than 435i, so it sounds like it might be a chassis/suspension setup situation. Maybe your 435i has too much unsprung weight? Am sure you properly corner weighted the car during suspension upgrade and optimized mechanical grip via new alignment. Hmmm...

The 435i's CG might actually be lower than the M4. Hmmm... Maybe time to go Lotus or ??? i totally get the desire for a tossable car, yet few street cars really are as compared to track counterparts. Of course if you want an M4 just get it and have fun. The 435i is a lux-hinting GT-ish fun car, whereas the M4 aims for a more sporty appeal.

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 12:11 AM   #18
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
The M4 isn't really lighter than 435i, so it sounds like it might be a chassis/suspension setup situation. Maybe your 435i has too much unsprung weight? Am sure you properly corner weighted the car during suspension upgrade and optimized mechanical grip via new alignment. Hmmm...

The 435i's CG might actually be lower than the M4. Hmmm... Maybe time to go Lotus or ??? i totally get the desire for a tossable car, yet few street cars really are as compared to track counterparts. Of course if you want an M4 just get it and have fun. The 435i is a lux-hinting GT-ish fun car, whereas the M4 aims for a more sporty appeal.
435i starts at 3635 lbs., the M4 at 3530 lbs. More importantly the M4 has a lower CG not just because of ride height, but distribution thanks to the lack of sunroof and CF roof. The M4 is also 2 inches wider. Even MORE important is the LSD. So really, there is a LOT going for the M4/M3 as far as handling.

One other thing that most people forget: the M4 doesn't come with RFTs. OP, are you still running run flats?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
stormlv928.00
      11-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #19
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
Not to mention the xDrive 435i is somewhere near 3800lbs if I remember correctly
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 08:56 AM   #20
Insane435
Major
United_States
Rep

The M4 is all fine and dandy but i can't get over the raspy, civic-y exhaust note. I personally believe any F80 owner who thinks it sounds good is fooling them-self. When you are driving it, I could see why an owner would think its fine because the cabin is so well insulated. But if you are behind one or see one go by its really not appealing. Believe me, I want to be proven wrong so I can go buy one. Until I can hear one in person with an aftermarket exhaust and DP's thats sounds good enough to live with, I will continue to pass on it and piss money into my 435.

Its undoubtedly better than an 435 msport in every department but I personally draw the line somewhere and sound to me a big part of the driving experience. Its unfortunate because the whole segment is beginning to sound terrible, so maybe in like 5 years the M4 will sound like God's chariot compared to the rest.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 09:17 AM   #21
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:

435i starts at 3635 lbs., the M4 at 3530 lbs. More importantly the M4 has a lower CG not just because of ride height, but distribution thanks to the lack of sunroof and CF roof. The M4 is also 2 inches wider. Even MORE important is the LSD. So really, there is a LOT going for the M4/M3 as far as handling.

One other thing that most people forget: the M4 doesn't come with RFTs. OP, are you still running run flats?
The car was properly corner balanced and aligned when the coilovers were installed. It's not any issue with the car, it just doesn't feel as nimble as the M4 and I don't think it ever could for reasons stated above and then some.

I have Hankook Evo2 V12's as summer tires and Continential Extreme Contact as all seasons on the stock wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 613Bimmer View Post
Not to mention the xDrive 435i is somewhere near 3800lbs if I remember correctly
Quote:
The M4 is all fine and dandy but i can't get over the raspy, civic-y exhaust note. I personally believe any F80 owner who thinks it sounds good is fooling them-self. When you are driving it, I could see why an owner would think its fine because the cabin is so well insulated. But if you are behind one or see one go by its really not appealing. Believe me, I want to be proven wrong so I can go buy one. Until I can hear one in person with an aftermarket exhaust and DP's thats sounds good enough to live with, I will continue to pass on it and piss money into my 435.

Its undoubtedly better than an 435 msport in every department but I personally draw the line somewhere and sound to me a big part of the driving experience. Its unfortunate because the whole segment is beginning to sound terrible, so maybe in like 5 years the M4 will sound like God's chariot compared to the rest.
The sound is subjective, it is raspy but I would not compare it to a civic.

I think the N55 sounds much better but I've also heard S55's that sounded damn good, it's all preference.

It might not have the best note but I think that's countered by the uniqueness and burbles and pops
Appreciate 2
Insane435476.50
jmg18493.00
      11-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #22
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

This is probably the best exhaust video I've heard of the S55

Appreciate 0