F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > How much did your insurance go up due to the PPK?
GetBMWParts

04-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #23
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

We have other provisions lumped together with our no-fault requirements. Short of criminal intent on your part during the act of the damage, there has to be significant reasoning for insurance companies to not pay out. Not disclosing something piddly like a power modification is not sufficient for that to occur. It's been litigated and there's standing case law around it.

I understand that if you claimed you had a new F30 and in actually you had a flood damaged one with a salvage title, that'd be different. That is understandable.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #24
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

What is the purpose of self reporting a power increase package? To insure its replacement if the car is totaled? That's silly.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #25
sarafil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
What is the purpose of self reporting a power increase package? To insure its replacement if the car is totaled? That's silly.
Yes... depending on your contract, you might have limited or no coverage for accessories unless you have them added to the policy for an increased coverage amount. It's up to you, only way to ensure you get coverage for it is to let them know you have it.
      04-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #26
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

I think many people in this thread have got it upside down ... you report your mods to insurance not because so you may claim the value of those mods in case of an accident (which you might still do, but is besides the point).

The real reason is because insurance companies do not like to insure "modded" cars - custom suspension, over-sized wheels, turbos, etc. It is too much of a risk for them. By not letting them know that you are modding your car, you are essentially lying that could lead to the insurance company not paying up in case of an accident (a bill that could cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars due to liability).

However, I'm guessing/hoping most insurance companies should not have a big problem with "BMW's authorized" mods, but they would still "likely" perceive these mods as higher risk cars.

A quick google on this subject brings out several articles that reiterate this:

http://www.insure.com/car-insurance/upgrades.html

http://www.lelandwest.com/reporting-...ce-company.cfm

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...fied-cars.html
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 02:10 AM   #27
JamesMA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Interestingly enough, my insurer did not seem to care about hp as they just list the car as a 3 series (I expected a more detailed reference like 335i etc and a hp power "penalty"). I would think that a true M car would make a difference, but what really did me in was the fact that I bought a new car at all. If they don't var about the extra hp in a 335i, I doubt extra 20 would make a difference. All things being equal, what an insurer really cares about is what that car costs.

Gone: 2018 F80 ///M3 ZCP 6 MT, 2013 F30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

They replace the parts on the car. Don't tell 'em. If it gets damaged, they'll pay for the replacement, unless you have the world's worst insurer or $20k in mods. If it's just a few add-ons it's no big deal.
Appreciate 0