F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > CEL after BMS intake install
GetBMWParts

03-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #45
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw007 View Post
Where does it say anywhere.. on the BMS website that this is designed for use with JB4 only and not stock, it is just an intake after all. If i had known that i would not of bought it.
I have a stock car and if i run in to problems then i will be expecting a full refund... i think that's fair?..... or i'll get a JB4!!!
Email BMS. I think you're right. In development and release terry never said this wouldn't work on a stock car. He just said less gains. As far as I know this is the only person with a cel after installing the intake. Could have tripped something with the sensor upon installation, something with the car could be wrong or maybe the intake is bad. Things happen and like our cars one bad apple doesn't mean every car has The same issue.

Moral of the story is come here for general advice but when it gets really technical and you want to know from the most reliable of sources ask BMS. They are quite responsive and very helpful to their customers.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #46
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Email BMS. I think you're right. In development and release terry never said this wouldn't work on a stock car. He just said less gains. As far as I know this is the only person with a cel after installing the intake. Could have tripped something with the sensor upon installation, something with the car could be wrong or maybe the intake is bad. Things happen and like our cars one bad apple doesn't mean every car has The same issue.

Moral of the story is come here for general advice but when it gets really technical and you want to know from the most reliable of sources ask BMS. They are quite responsive and very helpful to their customers.
Last I heard they know what the issue was with this OEM tune car and are making a tweak to the tube itself to accommodate it. So if anyone has a CEL with the intake just contact BMS and they will get you sorted out.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #47
Alpine435i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Last I heard they know what the issue was with this OEM tune car and are making a tweak to the tube itself to accommodate it. So if anyone has a CEL with the intake just contact BMS and they will get you sorted out.

Mike
Interesting. I was also planning on running my BMS intake (ordered on 2/27) on my stock car until I eventually got the JB4 down the line.

Will shipment of the units be halted until this is sorted out? My order on your site just changed to "Order Complete & Dispatched" this morning and I'll gladly wait until the revised version since I won't even take delivery of my car until May. PM me if you wish, Mike.

Thanks.

Last edited by Alpine435i; 03-04-2014 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #48
frenchfries
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw007 View Post
Where does it say anywhere.. on the BMS website that this is designed for use with JB4 only and not stock, it is just an intake after all. If i had known that i would not of bought it.
I have a stock car and if i run in to problems then i will be expecting a full refund... i think that's fair?..... or i'll get a JB4!!!
Terry emailed me about this and they are working to get this tweaked on a stock tuned car. BMS was helpful, email them if you ever run into any problems. btw are you running this intake full stock?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #49
IcebergM4
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 M4C

My 435 is being shipped with the MPPK and MPE already installed, will the intake still cause a CEL with the power kit? If not, I'll definitely order an intake immediately.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #50
djw007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 M Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfries View Post
Terry emailed me about this and they are working to get this tweaked on a stock tuned car. BMS was helpful, email them if you ever run into any problems. btw are you running this intake full stock?
Yep, full stock for about three weeks now. No CEL. I have noticed though in the last couple of days that my car has a bit of a flat spot under acceleration at 2500 rpm, wasn't there before. I might stick the stock intake back on for a comparison. Anyhow i'm going to order JB4 i've decided so i'm not too concerned.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #51
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just personal preference, I don't see why anyone would put an intake on a stock car unless you just want a different sound. There is really negligible performance gains (i.e., you won't notice a difference) on a stock car. The gains are pretty small even modified but start to become somewhat worthwhile as a performance modification.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #52
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle
Just personal preference, I don't see why anyone would put an intake on a stock car unless you just want a different sound. There is really negligible performance gains (i.e., you won't notice a difference) on a stock car. The gains are pretty small even modified but start to become somewhat worthwhile as a performance modification.
Good point. I already have the MPPK and am planning on Borla S-Type along with the intake. I figure the combo of new intake and catback exhaust together might give me a tad better performance (and much better sound). Not planning on JB4 at this point though....so who knows, maybe I am wasting my $$ with the intake.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 01:40 PM   #53
Alpine435i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Most mods in general aside from a tune provide negligible gains. Bolt-ons purely enhance aesthetics, sound, feel, or provide some type of enjoyment to the end user, which an intake does.

For $200 and change, it's something simple which doesn't require constant tinkering or fuss like other mods and enhances sound. Plus I figured I'd jump on it while it's still at intro pricing. Compared to black grills and painted reflectors, it provides more of tangible difference for the same price.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:58 AM   #54
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Good point. I already have the MPPK and am planning on Borla S-Type along with the intake. I figure the combo of new intake and catback exhaust together might give me a tad better performance (and much better sound). Not planning on JB4 at this point though....so who knows, maybe I am wasting my $$ with the intake.
I don't want to say you're wasting your money, heck I am running one

But if we're honest with ourselves and are modding for performance and not whistle sounds or looks, an intake is probably one of the last mods you should do as it provides a pretty bad $/hp value. With MPPK or JB4 Map 1/Stage 1, we're looking at a 5whp gain, less if the car is stock, slightly more if using more aggressive boost.

Doing a dollars to hp gain: Intake is $45/1hp if you are mildly tuned (worse if stock). Compare that to the JB4 at $400/30whp (i forget the exact pricing) which is $13/1hp. Go full on Stage 2 JB4 + Downpipe for around $1k and you're looking at another $13/1whp gain (interesting the math came out that way). Obviously, this is spit balling but you get the idea, the intake gives less than 1/3 the hp/$$ value as the other mods listed. Now if you're fully tuned to max and then get the intake the value is a bit better at $20/1whp and makes much more sense from a 'performance value' stand point.

Full disclosure, I'm one of the guys who got the intake even if it didn't make the best performance to the dollar value proposition, but I plan on going with DP in the future and already have Stage 2. That and it was an easy install and sounded cool. In the end, I don't even follow my own advice...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 06:09 AM   #55
Hawkeye2326
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 6MT

Garage List
2021 Bmw M4 G82  [0.00]
2014 BMW 435  [0.00]
Tdizzle. Written like a true enthusiast! Love the logical assessment, then....passion takes over! Did the same math, and bought the CAI, as well! (JB4, stage 2 installed already)
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #56
The Nerd
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 Comp xDrive

Any updates on this? I'd really like the BMS intake, but don't want CEL's that my dealer is going to charge me for to turn off (I don't have JB4).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #57
frenchfries
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Any updates on this? I'd really like the BMS intake, but don't want CEL's that my dealer is going to charge me for to turn off (I don't have JB4).
I've been running this intake all stock with the CEL for a few weeks now. The car is kinda rough sometimes during a cold start or i could feel a quick slight shudder during a full stop sometimes. I guess this is normal? (LINK) other than that, everything is fine, but just the annoyance of CEL.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #58
M-terkait
Major
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: F30 335i 3/13

i have removed JB4 for two days now, i have MPPK as stock map
so i have MPPK now and ran 100-110miles in these two days and no CEL
plus my car is 3/13 build.

mods: Highflowcat Challenge USA , BMS intake with MPPK airbox, WG IC, ER cp, using 93octane.
      03-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #59
GhazaliGTE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

I've been running this intake for several weeks now. The only issue I've encountered is a rough idle on cold starts. It lasts less than twenty seconds at its maximum duration but it gets rough. It does, however, eventually smooth out and run/sound great. I have a tune from ECU Tuning Group, Challenge down pipe, ER charge pipe, and a muffler delete.

I am curious, though, if the gains that the DYNO's show are realistic under normal Texan driving conditions. The DYNO is performed with the hood up, which might make a bit of difference. I don't know, though, this is just a random thought. Any comments?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #60
Alpine435i
Banned
Rep

Not too inspiring news. I guess I'll hold off on installing my BMS intake for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #61
nemith
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW 335xi M-Sport EBII

Garage List
I just want to chime in. I got my BMS intake installed 3 days ago with no CEL. No JB4 but I do have the MPPK.

Also I have a manual so there was no vaccum hose and I was extra careful when dealing with the MAF just cause I know they can be finicky. I also don't seem to have any other issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #62
Alpine435i
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemith View Post
I just want to chime in. I got my BMS intake installed 3 days ago with no CEL. No JB4 but I do have the MPPK.

Also I have a manual so there was no vaccum hose and I was extra careful when dealing with the MAF just cause I know they can be finicky. I also don't seem to have any other issues.
Nice.

You mentioned the lack of a vacuum hose for a manual...when I ordered the BMS intake from N54tuning, there was no option for an AT or MT version of the intake (whereas from BMS there was, but now there is no longer the option to designate AT or MT). My intake has a provision for a vacuum hose attachment but it also has a blue silicone cover for it. Is that what you're referring to? I'm curious if your intake is the same design/version.

I just wanna make sure my intake is for the MT, and what differences (if any) there are in the AT and MT intakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #63
nemith
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW 335xi M-Sport EBII

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine435i View Post
Nice.

You mentioned the lack of a vacuum hose for a manual...when I ordered the BMS intake from N54tuning, there was no option for an AT or MT version of the intake (whereas from BMS there was, but now there is no longer the option to designate AT or MT). My intake has a provision for a vacuum hose attachment but it also has a blue silicone cover for it. Is that what you're referring to? I'm curious if your intake is the same design/version.

I just wanna make sure my intake is for the MT, and what differences (if any) there are in the AT and MT intakes.
Yes I got the blue silicone cover. So far no issues but I think I am going to try and find a black replacement as well as add a hose clamp to secure it. It doesn't seem to be the tightest of fits.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 03:15 AM   #64
frenchfries
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update.
Terry sent me a new tube that had been modified a bit on the MAF . Unfortunately with the new tube, CEL came back on (same code).

I am 99.9% sure that I installed everything correctly since it was so straight forward. ( did many intake installs, but never on a bmw)

Since some of you guys run this intake stock with no CEL, can someone post close up pictures of all the connections to the car running stock or stage1?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #65
mannymazz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfries View Post
Update.
Terry sent me a new tube that had been modified a bit on the MAF . Unfortunately with the new tube, CEL came back on (same code).

I am 99.9% sure that I installed everything correctly since it was so straight forward. ( did many intake installs, but never on a bmw)

Since some of you guys run this intake stock with no CEL, can someone post close up pictures of all the connections to the car running stock or stage1?
Same outcome for me...light was off for some time then it came back on, went off again but of course went back again. They are working great with me but unfortunately it just doesnt seem to fix the problem.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 06:41 PM   #66
Alpine435i
Banned
Rep

frenchfries, can you take detailed pics of both tubes so we can see the difference?
Appreciate 0