F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > “Young” UK drivers - Insurance companies
Studio RSR

09-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #1
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

“Young” UK drivers - Insurance companies

Thought I’d kick this off for anyone else in a similar position. Been spending what feels a lifetime the past 5-6 years on every renewal to find a company to provide a quote, without the stupid error message asking to call - only to be told you don’t meet requirements (age).

Since 19 my policies haven’t dipped below 4 figures, which always warranted the extra effort researching various providers. Sharing some things that may or may not be obvious.

A number of things come into play, or just one, like Postcode!

First year cover at home address - £5100.
First year cover at halls of residence - £1850 (had to be there for more than ‘half’ the year, so I stayed a few days out of term and did that).

Always change your job description, some job role names are higher risk at 30 or below!! I couldn’t believe this one, I changed the age alone and it cut £240+ off most quotes.

It’s a bit of a minefield as you’ll know when insurance is due for renewal, especially if under 25/26. I haven’t had any communication from my current provider, and a quick check online reveals that you now need to be 26 to drive the same car currently insured

Plenty of topics are around, but nothing detailed for this age group in the UK!

Through some extensive research and hours spent, below is what I’ve found to provide a quote albeit at varying prices. Cars are F3X series up to 3l

Age group is 19-26 for recommendations. Quotes are not based on telematics! This is subjective but I don’t quite like tracking devices.

- Endsleigh
- ESure (can have ridiculous excess charges if on the younger side)
- Hastings
- AXA
- GoSkippy
- Churchill (Covers M vehicle, though expensive with several runs on F3x x30/x35/x40 and M cars)
- BMW (I personally couldn’t get this as I tested it out by increasing age/NCB, only until passing my birthday and recently checking it worked! Currently the cheapest)
- Swiftcover (Underwritten by AXA - can provide plans that AXA refuse to do direct..)
- Admiral - Be very careful as they tend to show up as cheap because they offer a ‘accelerates’ 10 month policy!! You get 1 year NCB, but have to reapply to expensive insurance. False economy!
- LV - Does not quote 6 cylinder BMW's until 26+..

You’ll be surprised, prices between a F3x x20i/d don’t vary too much from a x35d/x35i/x40i. We’re talking about £50-£150 on average. At £1000+ and the differences between the cars that’s not much, as I’m sure there’ll be some disagreement on that point.

I’m lined up with BMW as it stands, despite them not quoting a few months back, yes, it’s sad that I need to check months in advance - but better that than to find out no one will insure that doesn’t cost your soul in premium and excess.

If anyone can chime in on who they’re insured with, rough location, costs, car, years of ncb and age we can hopefully get a master thread with go to companies for this category of drivers.

Key information:
  • Job description - I cannot stress the importance of this one, it can save x00's!
  • Additional drivers (parents, older siblings, older friends etc..) - Usually caps off at 2, but no harm in trying both parents and any siblings. Do these one at a time to check for any changes to the premium.
  • Address - Read carefully the T&C's as you may be 'required' to be at the address for 30/40+ weeks of a year
  • This age group is already high risk, avoid modification unless really necessary.. paying £150 extra for another insurer vs BMW insurance due to a modification can be a kick in the teeth. Stick to OEM and fit at dealers if necessary.
  • Play around with the excess, bizarrely sometimes reducing from higher amounts to say £200 works out cheaper! If increasing the excess by £100 reduces the premium by £40+ the risk may be worthwhile to take for some. Only go for a excess that is affordable and will not put you in a bad place!!

Further below points courtesy of @RobUK, not had to chance to confirm effects on example premiums but worth considering!
  • Having children added £146 to the premium vs. having no children.
  • Using a gmail address vs. using a hotmail address added £391 to the premium!
  • If you're born outside the UK you're more likely to pay more.
  • If you have a foreign sounding name such as Ahmed Khan you could pay £462 more than if your name was David Smith. Also, someone with the name David Ledwell paid £1,169 more than someone called David Montgomery.
  • If you're married you could pay up to £200 less than a single person.
  • When answering the 'How did you hear about us' question, choosing 'From a friend' got you a £135 lower premium than if you chose 'TV Advert'.

NB: As tedious as it is, always make a change at a time to see how (if at all) it affects the premium.

Real examples:
  1. 435i - AXA- £1600 - 3 Years NCB - AGE: 24 - London
  2. M4 - Churchill - £2500 - 3 Years NCB - AGE: 21
  3. 320i - GoSkippy - £600 - AGE: 27
  4. 435i - Admiral - £1050 - 7 Years NCB - AGE: 27 - London
  5. 320D M sport - Hasting Direct - £1.1k - 6 Years NCB - AGE: 24 - Staffordshire
  6. 418D - LV - £1800 - 2 Years NCB - AGE: 19 - Portsmouth (SP50 - 3 Points)
  7. 330d - GoSkippy - £1800 - 5 Years NCB - AGE: 25 - Birmingham

Last edited by KTE; 10-08-2019 at 02:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13282.50
      09-29-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

If you've been driving a few years I would have thought you'd be getting better quotes than the ones you've mentioned. Have you investigated what effect your postcode is having as that can make a big difference?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
If you've been driving a few years I would have thought you'd be getting better quotes than the ones you've mentioned. Have you investigated what effect your postcode is having as that can make a big difference?
Can’t really use a different postcode this time around, that example was almost 5 years ago finishing up my final year at Uni. I did check this against a few friends addresses, +/- 5% difference to the premium. Was more of a heads up for others in that boat lucky enough to have a F3x at uni

I was told directly that due to Eastern European drivers insurances being difficult to chase, and the surrounding area heavily populated by the mentioned demographic, prices were high as a result of it being a high risk zone...

I’m being quoted circa £1250 for a 435i (not including breakdown) which is a drop on last year already, but not as much as I thought it would be hitting the magical number of 25 where everyone instantly matures and becomes experienced
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
SynTom
IAM Roadsmart Fellow
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Coupé

Great post! Nothing I hate more than insurance.

I'm 21 with a 3 years NCD and IAM Roadsmart certificate.

For the M4 it's just over £2500 for the year. This is from Churchill, really really good insurer.

Regards,
Tom.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 04:01 AM   #5
roopsy1992
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series 320i M Sport

I've just turned 27 this year. For my 1 st car Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4. I paid £1400 for 1 year . Me as first driver and my dad 2nd driver

Now I bought a BMW 320i Msport last December from Rybrook Warwick and the insurance I am paying for it is £600 for the year. 1st driver me and my dad second driver. The insurance company I am with is Goskippy
      09-30-2019, 04:27 AM   #6
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Have you thought about adding one of your parents as a named driver (as long as they're okay with it)

When in my 20's, my insurance with either my mum or dad (having both didn't make too much difference) as a named driver was significantly cheaper than not having them at all.

Insurance companies also like it if there is access to other cars in a household. I think 3 is the sweet spot as then they feel risk is spread.

Excess wise, I've found that £300 is usually gets the cheapest quote, anything lower or higher and the quotes get pushed up.

Also, 21 days before renewal gets you the cheapest quotes and make sure you clear you cookies before every quote.

HTH
      09-30-2019, 05:40 AM   #7
MH94
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

I have also paid £0000s for my insurance every year and I've been driving 7 years with 7 years NCB I'm 25 am currently insured on a 435i for £1050 with admiral which is only £150 more than a 320d I was insured on before makes no sense to me but then again living in London probably pushes up the price a fair bit.

Matt.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 06:08 AM   #8
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH94 View Post
...but then again living in London probably pushes up the price a fair bit.

Matt.
Oh totally, I'm in my 30s with over 10 years NCB and my insurance is still high because of a London postcode!
      09-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Updated the main post to reflect the responses. List is growing which will help some come renewal time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
Have you thought about adding one of your parents as a named driver (as long as they're okay with it)

When in my 20's, my insurance with either my mum or dad (having both didn't make too much difference) as a named driver was significantly cheaper than not having them at all.

Insurance companies also like it if there is access to other cars in a household. I think 3 is the sweet spot as then they feel risk is spread.

Excess wise, I've found that £300 is usually gets the cheapest quote, anything lower or higher and the quotes get pushed up.

Also, 21 days before renewal gets you the cheapest quotes and make sure you clear you cookies before every quote.

HTH

These points are key!! Each thing potentially reduced up to ~£150 with some brokers.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 04:14 AM   #10
gelogelo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M SPORT

320D M sport - Hasting Direct - £1.1k - age 24 - 6 years no claims - Staffordshire

Had a peugeot 206 with some modifcations for a few years with Adrian flux paying £500 a year, coming upto my 7 years no claim but for some reason they could not transfer my insurance to my 320d, also if i were to get a new quote from them it was costing around £2-3k and they were not willing to price match hastings so I decided to just cancel and go for hastings.

Thanks op for the 'key informations' maybe next time I shop around for insurance i will change my job description etc
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 05:15 AM   #11
Somebloke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post

Adding any relative with experience older than you as an additional driver should lower the premium. I added my brother in law temporarily to my car - I could add him on for a few days for no additional premium, or have him added on for 10 days accompanied by a reduction of premium of £1. Guess which option I went for?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #12
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Be careful with Admiral & Churchill as they assume your car is totally standard with no factory fitted optional extras. I realised later on and added them on with around 20% increase in premiums. Doh

Direct line has given me the cheapest quotes over the last couple years. I'm 31 now, living in London with wife as named driver. 7 years plus NCB.

I've found building up your NCB is the best way to reduce your premiums.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #13
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Post code is really crucial sometimes. My son's F-Type, living outside Manchester got a renewal of £1,300. He has now bought a flat outside Glasgow and spends a lot of time there and insuring the car at that address brought the premium down to £550. I am told however, that Manchester post codes do attract a significant premium price hike.

Same car, same insurer, different postcode.
Appreciate 1
TaranF32129.50
      10-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #14
TaranF32
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

I'm in pretty much the same position, am very fortunate to have an F32 4 series as a uni student.

Background when I took out my current policy.
LV - £1800
Aged 19
Live in Portsmouth
Car is on driveaway
Full time education, living away.
Both parents on the policy as named drivers
3 points on my licence for SP50 (Speeding )
Driving 2 years with 2 years NCB
LV give the option to select parking sensors and dashcam to reduce the policy price which my car has. There's further discount if you have auto emergency braking.

I found that having my location at my halls of residence or my new uni house doubled the premium so didn't bother, and my car is at home most of the time anyways. My area is quite low crime/risk so works in my favour thankfully.

Cheaper to say I was a student living away than living at home or in full time work.

My previous car, a 2010 Polo 1.2 was £1200 for the first year with Directline with blackbox, second year was £1300 with the points on my licence and one year NCB, as I was going into my 3rd year of driving it was £750 with hastings and no blackbox.

Funnily enough I was looking at the BMW 218i M sport coupe as the 1.5l engine was coming in at around £1300-400. The 420d was coming at around £3000. Didn't even know BMW did a 418d until I saw one on Autotrader. Started searching for quotes and at £1800 I didn't think that was bad for a 2.0l coupe! Especially considering my age, points on my licence and the price difference betweent a 418d and 420d.

I'll spend ages looking at renewal quotes from various companies. Best for me was LV.
Still, can't get insurance on anything bigger than a 2.0 without paying £5k+, which I'm simply not prepared to pay.

Annoys me how expensive car insurance is, if people didn't put in so many b'llocks claims for whiplash, compensation etc and bodyshops didn't overcharge for insurance work then it'd be so much more economical. Guess that's just how the world works though!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #15
TaranF32
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
Post code is really crucial sometimes.
Same car, same insurer, different postcode.
Crazy how the postcode can impact insurance. I varied mine just to see. My Portsmouth postcode was the cheapest. Tried my Uni accom in Cardiff and it was nearly double the price!
In all fairness the student area in Cardiff is notourious for vandalism on cars.

Similarly area's like London/Manchester/Midlands/Liverpool have got a bit of a rep for having cars stolen/damaged/vandalised or having parts stolen off them
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 10:09 AM   #16
Check-Mate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

330d - GoSkippy - £1800 - Birmingham - 25
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #17
N-W
oOOo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check-Mate View Post
330d - GoSkippy - £1800 - Birmingham - 25
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 12:48 AM   #18
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Created a thread a while back (June last year) after watching a TV program about car insurance. The big takeaway from it was that of the 43 data points they collect off you, pretty much everything including your name can count against you! Here are a few examples of things you might not think are relevant but that can affect your premium:
  • If you have a foreign sounding name such as Ahmed Khan you could pay £462 more than if your name was David Smith. Also, someone with the name David Ledwell paid £1,169 more than someone called David Montgomery.
  • When answering the 'How did you hear about us' question, choosing 'From a friend' got you a £135 lower premium than if you chose 'TV Advert'.

The insurance industry guy on the program said it's all heavily data driven. So insurance companies look at their claims data and if they find people with gmail addresses make more claims than people with hotmail addresses for example, then they load the premium.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2019, 05:59 AM   #19
Check-Mate
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by weston.__ View Post
Thats with 5 years NCB might i add
Appreciate 1
N-W30.00
      10-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #20
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Created a thread a while back (June last year) after watching a TV program about car insurance. The big takeaway from it was that of the 43 data points they collect off you, pretty much everything including your name can count against you! Here are a few examples of things you might not think are relevant but that can affect your premium:

The insurance industry guy on the program said it's all heavily data driven. So insurance companies look at their claims data and if they find people with gmail addresses make more claims than people with hotmail addresses for example, then they load the premium.
Updated a section of the main post, thanks

Additional examples also updated.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #21
CL53
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 320D

Real life example for the list,

320d - Admiral - £670 - 6 years NCV - AGE: 24 - London
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #22
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post

Mind blown!
Appreciate 0