F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 1-8 Hot Keys
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
3554
Rep
6,381
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

1-8 Hot Keys

I apologize for asking such a seemingly stupid question but I've searched the forums and haven't been able to find much.

My question, how do you assign various actions to hot keys? Does each hot key do one specific thing only or do they vary based upon which iDrive application is open?

For example, is it possible to set it up so that when the navigation application is open, pressing 1 will send me home, but if I'm in the phone app, could I set it up so that pressing 1 would instead call a specific number?

My second question is how do I save various functions to each hot key? I tried saving my home address by putting in my home address into the navigation, having it start guidance, then holding 1 but it doesn't work. It saves something completely random (I think it just pulls up the map whenever I hit 1 and guides me to wherever I was at the time I held the 1 key).

It seems fairly counter-intuitive how the whole process works so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
S4NoMore
Captain
S4NoMore's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
853
Posts

Drives: 06 330i 6MT, 91 318i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I apologize for asking such a seemingly stupid question but I've searched the forums and haven't been able to find much.
First off, I would recommend to you (and anyone) Google as a search engine rather than the forums. Forum searching can be tricky and often fruitless.


Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
My question, how do you assign various actions to hot keys? Does each hot key do one specific thing only or do they vary based upon which iDrive application is open?

For example, is it possible to set it up so that when the navigation application is open, pressing 1 will send me home, but if I'm in the phone app, could I set it up so that pressing 1 would instead call a specific number?
No, the hotkeys are intended to be global - i.e. their programmed function is independent of where you are within the iDrive system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
My second question is how do I save various functions to each hot key? I tried saving my home address by putting in my home address into the navigation, having it start guidance, then holding 1 but it doesn't work. It saves something completely random (I think it just pulls up the map whenever I hit 1 and guides me to wherever I was at the time I held the 1 key).

It seems fairly counter-intuitive how the whole process works so any help would be greatly appreciated.
I don't have navigation, but I searched via google and came to this explanation: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showpo...04&postcount=7

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
It's very easy. Try this method.

You can pick up a destination easily from Last Destinations. Go to last destinations and select the destination you want to store into key, you will see a green rectangle on the selected destination. Next hold the desired programmable key for two seconds and all done.

With this setting, you can now easily go to the pre-selected destination on NAV from any screen, you need not be on NAV screen.

I set key #8 for Home, its the last key in the row and doesn't interfere with other keys and easy to remember as Final Destination is Home this or that.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
3554
Rep
6,381
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

Yeah I tried Googling searching. I did find how to save addresses, but I was wondering how to save other functions, such as a hot key to call an individual.

I assume I just go to my recent calls, highlight the number and assign a key to it which I'll try today.

Thanks for the reply though.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
S4NoMore
Captain
S4NoMore's Avatar
United_States
116
Rep
853
Posts

Drives: 06 330i 6MT, 91 318i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
I assume I just go to my recent calls, highlight the number and assign a key to it which I'll try today.
I forget exactly but if that doesn't work, go to the number in your phone book then assign the key. I think if you assign a key while looking at your recent calls, the key will bring you to your recent calls list.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #5
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
BMWbill's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (0)

there is a huge thread on this forum with more idea than you could ever imagine about what to assign to the hotkeys.
Too lazy to find it though. Someone else will shortly.
__________________


F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #6
M.barnes
Lieutenant
29
Rep
596
Posts

Drives: 123d
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rugby, uk

iTrader: (0)

Go to what you want to do in idrive then hold the hot key.

Ie if you want to set number 1 as call home, browse through the idrive for telephone, names, find home, highlight it then hold down 1.

1 will then do that function. So basically keep going until yo get to the point where clicking the idrive button would do the action (final stage) then instead of clicking, hold down the hot key (hold for 3 ish seconds)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
3554
Rep
6,381
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.barnes View Post
Go to what you want to do in idrive then hold the hot key.

Ie if you want to set number 1 as call home, browse through the idrive for telephone, names, find home, highlight it then hold down 1.

1 will then do that function. So basically keep going until yo get to the point where clicking the idrive button would do the action (final stage) then instead of clicking, hold down the hot key (hold for 3 ish seconds)
Yup, tried that and it worked. Thank you!

So it is intuitive after all, just have to know the logic behind it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
u080570
Private First Class
u080570's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: 2012 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post
there is a huge thread on this forum with more idea than you could ever imagine about what to assign to the hotkeys.
Too lazy to find it though. Someone else will shortly.
Here ya go !!

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=730317
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
homeland
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 2011
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (0)

I think there must by a reset function that will allow you to assign keys to whatever action you want.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
3554
Rep
6,381
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeland View Post
I think there must by a reset function that will allow you to assign keys to whatever action you want.
You can just overwrite them. Hovering over the button will allow you to see what function (if any) is saved to that key.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
JSTDR1V's Avatar
No_Country
206
Rep
2,913
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 & 2016 X5 35i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5 35i  [5.00]
If I'm not mistaken holding keys 1 & 8 clears them all.


You can make, almost any function a hot key. I have 1&2 as phone numbers, 3 as my "messages" for when I get texts, emails or send info to the car, 4 is another phone number, 5-8 are my places of employment and home.


Hovering lets you see what it is. I wouldn't put any function in that is already available via steering wheel controls, or the iDrive controls.

If you want a contact, go to that contact, the exact number to dial, and as you are getting ready to dial, push and hold the button.

Same goes for navigation - when you are ready to hit "accept destination" or "start navigation" press and hold the button and it will save that function. It essentially saves whatever your iDrive cursor is over.

you can do this for the user manual, Vehicle Info, Efficient dynamics, Sport displays - almost anything.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
GSAL55's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
To reset all hot keys you press 1 and 8 at the same time and hold for approximately 10 seconds. To save something to a hot key, you hover over what you want to save and press and hold the corresponding number you'd like to program. Done. If it cannot be done, it'll let you know that it cannot be saved. Simple. Don't need to go through a million lines of threads.
__________________
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #13
matt
Captain
Germany
45
Rep
613
Posts

Drives: munichs finest
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Stuttgart

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to matt
Is there a list for dumb people to remember whats saved under each number?
Or do I have to write it down like my gradmothers tv channel settings?
__________________
f*ckin' love my car <3
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
GSAL55's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Is there a list for dumb people to remember whats saved under each number?
Or do I have to write it down like my gradmothers tv channel settings?
Just run your fingers across the numbers - it'll show you on your screen what you saved without having to press the button.
__________________
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
BMWbill
BMW Enthusiast
BMWbill's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: F31 M-Sport wagon, E46 M3
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAL55 View Post
Just run your fingers across the numbers - it'll show you on your screen what you saved without having to press the button.
But you should write that down because you are going to forget about the hover-hand trick.
__________________


F31 Estoril Blue Wagon | E46 Phoenix Yellow M3 | 1958 BMW R50 | 1981 BMW Café Racer
My BMW café racer on BikeEXIF
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
GSAL55's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post
But you should write that down because you are going to forget about the hover-hand trick.
__________________
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2014, 04:14 PM   #17
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
GSAL55's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Are there no CAs out there showing these people how to work their cars or how about
__________________
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 01:16 PM   #18
matt
Captain
Germany
45
Rep
613
Posts

Drives: munichs finest
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Stuttgart

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAL55 View Post
Are there no CAs out there showing these people how to work their cars or how about
Not having it yet thats why im penetrating the forums
__________________
f*ckin' love my car <3
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #19
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
GSAL55's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
260
Posts

Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
Not having it yet thats why im penetrating the forums
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
__________________
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:51 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST