F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Manual Vs Auto
Extreme Powerhouse

04-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Manual Vs Auto

I've noticed on the BMW AUC site that almost all (if not all) the 328is and 335is seem to be autos.

I've always driven manual cars and to be perfectly honest think would prefer to stay with a manual if possible as and when I upgrade. I have no doubts that the 8speed auto is brilliant as no doubt many of you will testify to, I'm just not sure I want an automatic.

I suspect ill either go for another F31 or possibly a F32 next with 28 or 35 petrol engine, my question is if I specced this a manual would it be detrimental from a residual value point of view, put another way, does the market "expect" the more powerful variants to be specced as autos?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
I've noticed on the BMW AUC site that almost all (if not all) the 328is and 335is seem to be autos.

I've always driven manual cars and to be perfectly honest think would prefer to stay with a manual if possible as and when I upgrade. I have no doubts that the 8speed auto is brilliant as no doubt many of you will testify to, I'm just not sure I want an automatic.

I suspect ill either go for another F31 or possibly a F32 next with 28 or 35 petrol engine, my question is if I specced this a manual would it be detrimental from a residual value point of view, put another way, does the market "expect" the more powerful variants to be specced as autos?
Just curious... you say you think you'd prefer to stay manual- how come you're not absolutely sure?

I used to be an avowed manual only driver, but then my commute was constant stop start traffic. But even that aside, all the reasons I disliked autos have fallen by the wayside:

Economy was worse - now better
Made the cars slower - now autos are faster
Less control over gears - flappy paddles are instantaneous
Modern programming also means they 'learn' your driving style and adapt

Of course, there is pleasure to be had from the stick and clutch and a petrol motor, and if that's what you like and you actually get to drive roads where you can enjoy this, more than you spend in traffic then I'm jealous!

But yes, the bigger engined cars really now are expected to be autos, now that the autobox is such a good piece of kit. There will always be someone who wants to buy one secondhand. If you buy on a PCP you could ensure that you get a good MGFV so that the future resale is not your problem.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
MRPoisson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport+

Quote:

I never thought Id own an auto but trust me you'll be auto forever once you've driven with the 8AT

Gone F30 320D 8AT M Sport Mineral grey
Gone E92 320D M Sport Sparkling Graphite
Gone E46 320D M Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
Alkidrew
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS

Pros and cons for both. 10 years ago auto was definately for Volvo drivers but they are now very good and not the slow clunky rubbish they use to be. I love manuals as you have total control of the gears and don't worry about residuals with a manual in a 3 series, might affect a 5 or 7 but 3 series is a drivers car so manual is still a good choice.

The new m3 has manual and auto as an option. That says it all.

I went for manual this time but will certainly give auto a go next time.

Neither are a bad choice.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPoisson View Post
I never thought Id own an auto but trust me you'll be auto forever once you've driven with the 8AT
This will be my first ever auto and 3rd diesel.

I read up on the 8AT and had a number of test drives in both 320d and 330d, was sold on it.

The speed of changing gears is sublime and like today sitting on M6 changing gears between 2 and 6th is a royal pain.

Next car is (if BMW sort themselves out) likely to be a 6 cyl petrol auto tourer.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
johno
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

I was like you for 30 years, but really the ZF box is light years ahead of the old-style auto transmissions that I still have to suffer in rental cars when in the US.

I think it probably would be a bit harder to sell a manual, but equally there will be people who want one, and yours will be one of the few they can find. So if you really want a manual, go for it.

But first, do test drive the auto. I did, and - well, I picked up my 435i auto today. I was still a bit nervous about my decision, but driving home was enough to convince me I had made the right choice.

Last edited by johno; 04-07-2014 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
Matts435coupe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Coupe Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
I was like you for 30 years, but really the ZF box is light years ahead of the old-style auto transmissions that I still have to suffer in rental cars when in the US.

I think it probably would be a but harder to sell a manual, but equally there will be people who want one, and yours will be one of the few they can find. So if you really want a manual, go for it.

But first, do test drive the auto. I did, and - well, I picked up my 435i auto today. I was still a bit nervous about my decision, but driving home was enough to convince me I had made the right choice.
I am about to take delivery of my second 435, first was stick. The car just didn't feel as quick as my 335is coupe I had before, for obvious reasons. I happened to test drive a 435 with the 8speed and was instantly hooked. It felt so much quicker, like a different car. Hopefully second time is a charm.
2010 BMW 335i coupe( Sold)
2009 BMW 335i coupe ( Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

I love a manual gear change as much as anyone but the rapid clicking up through the gears while your foot is hard pinned to the floor on the auto is a whole different addiction. If the f30 was a proper sports car I may feel a bit different, but it's not.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
Proftinkerpot
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport -Superman

It's been said above but drive a car with the 8 speed sport auto box and I think you will be sold on it. It's smooth and fast. It is the future and you get flappy paddles too.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 12:14 AM   #10
Paulotheb
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330D F31 M Sport

Love the 8AT. Sounds silly, but it almost feels like it only has one gear it's that smooth.

Personally, don't see the point of the paddles. I can't change as well as the machine, so why bother? Also, with a traditional manual, you really do feel like you're in control: clutch pedal, move the gear lever, clutch pedal. With the 8AT you don't and I just feel like I'm 'pretending' to change gear.

I love manuals and now I love autos (this being my first). But I think the paddles are a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 01:17 AM   #11
Captain Cow Pat
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: VO F31 330d xDrive M Sport

I'm now on my 5th Diesel and this is my first auto. I wanted to change to an auto as the traffic nowadays isn't going to get any lighter as time moves forwards. Quite the opposite in fact and I didn't fancy having to keep using the clutch to move forward only small amounts. The auto just takes the pain out of the modern drive. but it can still be fun when the roads are clear.
      04-08-2014, 02:09 AM   #12
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

335i with the ZF8AT is, for a family/business class saloon a lot of fun. Conversely it is just as pleasurable sitting in stop start traffic oddly.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 02:20 AM   #13
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

Thanks for all the responses guys, as always, informative and very interesting.

I suppose my reluctance to move from a manual is probably a pre conceived idea around losing the feel of connection with the car. Doesn't sound like that's really an issue for any of you so I suspect that concern is probably unfounded.

Probably need to drive an auto on an extended test drive to be sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:11 AM   #14
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses guys, as always, informative and very interesting.

I suppose my reluctance to move from a manual is probably a pre conceived idea around losing the feel of connection with the car. Doesn't sound like that's really an issue for any of you so I suspect that concern is probably unfounded.

Probably need to drive an auto on an extended test drive to be sure.
I too was a die hard manual driver. For my last car I'd have been happy with a second hand E90 330d but I could not find one anywhere in a manual - so had to order brand new as I wanted a manual so much.
But when it came to ordering the F30 335d, of course there is no choice....but I'm absolutely converted . A few people have asked me what I think about it and I think it's fantastic, I've never looked back.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:51 AM   #15
sunscreemer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon

I echo many of the points above. I'd always been a die hard manual fan and it was the opinions on here of many previous die hard manual fans who'd tried the 8AT that convinced me to take a look at it and it's one of the best decisions i've ever made.

Once you get used to it the paddles are superfluous as you can control the gearchange with a slight change in pressure on the throttle. It's so refined yet delightfully raw when you go into sport mode on car and auto box.

And of course, when you're stuck in traffic as i am all too often it's a far less tiring experience. It's now become pretty much a "must have" in future cars!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 04:14 AM   #16
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

I love changing gear, double de-clutching was always part of my daily drive. It came from getting the best out of small engines and sounded great when I got to bigger petrols. Loved the noise...

When I turned to the dark side of Diesel I found I was constantly changing gear in traffic or worse still riding the clutch... The move to auto was forced on me, again no manual option (330d). Though, once driven there was no looking back.

Eco Pro really suits slow traffic trundling, the box seems even smoother than in comfort at slow speeds. Comfort does just what it says. Relaxed touring and great for driving in normal flowing traffic. Smooth gear changes in normal running. Kick down is easily achieved for an overtake. Though, I usually either put it in sport or use paddles to preselect a gear to avoid the kick down. If paddles are used it reverts back to Drive after a few seconds or normal driving.

In sport mode the changes come smooth and quick, really great when accelerating. It just feels like endless power.

Manual boxes are rare on higher spec and larger engined cars. This was so even before the ZF8AT. Though, this box makes an even better reason for all cars being auto.

Due to the fuel/emissions advantages I can see the manual box completely disappearing from the premium luxury side. I think it will be the preserve of true sports cars and budget cars soon. Also, hybrids seem to be autos...
      04-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #17
VonRat
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

After 30 years of driving, I've just bought my first automatic (8AT).

Trickle along in traffic in full auto or use the paddles for instant manual gear changes. The latter is good enough for F1 so the days of auto boxes not being associated with sport are surely numbered?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #18
Torquein
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sdrive

I can't yet comment on the 8AT having only test drove so far (god I hate waiting!!) but having driven an auto for the last 3.5yrs I have had a manual loaner for the last 2 weeks and you REALLY notice the change going back, it's such a pain in traffic when you've become so used to the auto. I've also lost a bit of the finer clutch control so sometimes the gear changes are a bit snatchy as you just drop a bit of the old muscle memory. It's not like I can't drive a manual but it's just not as smooth as it once was, and I notice I'm driving a manual the whole journey. It's getting less and less like this as I drive the car for longer but I can't wait to get my new car and get back to that easier life
      04-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #19
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
The ZF 8speed is awesome but I'm going back the other way to 6MT, much more involving, less performance and more emissions but hey ho. Both great transmissions.
      04-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #20
Hunky Dory
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Touring M Sport

My F31 is my first auto and I have to say its excellent. It's faster, more economical and more efficient all round than the combination of me and a manual shift, as well as being a fantastically judged piece of engineering.

That's not to say I prefer it to manual if I'm honest. There are occasions when I miss the manual, namely heel and toe situations whilst having a bit of a blast.

I knew this would be an issue when I went for the manual but reasoned the number if times I would be in those situations wouldn't be that often and when balanced against the advantages of the auto the other 95% of the time, the 8 speed was the better choice.

I was right. It's the better choice in every quantifiable way. I just don't find it as engaging as a manual when you're just after a bit of fun and feeling engaged is everything in those situations for me.

I realise this opinion is very much against received wisdom from most folk, not to mention the motoring press as far as I can tell, so have come to the conclusion I obviously don't know what I'm talking about!
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 03:05 PM   #21
zooberoo
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C HS

Quote:
+1 The 8AT isn't perfect but it's miles better than the manual in the 135i IMO.
      04-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #22
RichardJS
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunky Dory View Post
That's not to say I prefer it to manual if I'm honest. There are occasions when I miss the manual, namely heel and toe situations whilst having a bit of a blast.

I knew this would be an issue when I went for the manual but reasoned the number if times I would be in those situations wouldn't be that often and when balanced against the advantages of the auto the other 95% of the time, the 8 speed was the better choice.

I was right. It's the better choice in every quantifiable way. I just don't find it as engaging as a manual when you're just after a bit of fun and feeling engaged is everything in those situations for me.
This is my feeling exactly. I've only had my first auto for a couple of weeks but I know that I'm always going to miss the manual for "spirited" drives down country lanes. But having said that, the Auto is fantastic for around town and on motorways and especially stop-start driving. The worst thing for me is when the auto decides to change down when accelerating out of a bend or roundabout. So I tried the manual change for the first time at the weekend. Didn't get off to a good start when I washed the windscreen instead of changing up but once I'd found the paddles(!) it worked well - although as the engine is so quiet I find it tricky to be in the right gear without looking at the indicator and/or tachometer. Also, I'm getting into the habit of knocking from Drive into Sport as I come off a motorway down to a roundabout as I find that helps - then go back into D when I've left the roundabout.
Appreciate 0