F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Brand new 13 335 xdrive dead ten miles from dealer
GetBMWParts

06-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #67
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by concerthiker View Post
I spoke with the sales manager again last night. I have to say, they've really turned it around. We're working together to move forward, he's been great about addressing my concerns and working with me. I'm not unrealistic. I live in reality. I have my own business (10 years now) which is based on service and relationships, so those qualities are very important to me and I the sales manager and my CA have restored in faith in this dealership. One might expect I wouldn't recommend or do business with them again - but quite the opposite. This is the real world, we are all human and we all make mistakes. Whether it's BMW, Porsche or Ferrari, whether the car is $10k, $60k or $800k, mistakes and failures happen. It's about how we address them and make it right. They're doing that here and that's what matters. I've been to other dealerships when considering other cars that provided attitude and little customer service, or wouldn't listen to simple requests or "hear" what I was looking for. That's not the case here. We both made mistakes in this transaction and are working together to make it right for everyone - that's a relationship and that's why I'm a loyal customer when I find a dealership (or CA) that does more then write numbers on paper for the customer.

The new 3 will be ready today and I'm keeping the 2010 Z I purchased. They've generously offered to install the parking sensors on it and help me with some performance upgrades for the 3 - and he did present my the option of swapping Zs but the payments just didn't work because the financing options available on the CPO 2010 don't apply to the 2009. I give them full credit for going the extra mile, keeping me informed, and working with me to resolution - and I think they would agree I didn't make any demands in working this out. I would recommend them again, as a dealership, the sales manager and my CA. I normally don't get my car serviced there since I have a good friend as a service agent at a closer dealership, but when speaking with the master tech at Morristown, he was always very friendly, knowledgeable and informative - so I would use them for service if I lived closer.

Looking forward to the Cape May trip tomorrow despite the tropical storm we'll be driving straight into. Thank you all again for your thoughts, feedback and for sharing in this journey. I'll post pics of the cars and keep you updated, but I feel the train is back on track and running smoothly.
I am glad to hear that the dealer is in the process of making things right! I always find that freebies and good will gestures from a company go a very long way in making up for screw ups and mistakes that invariably happen in any large company. I also wonder if the discussion on this forum had any influence on the eventual actions taken by the dealer??????
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #68
concerthiker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 11 X6 5 / 09 Z4 35

It might have. And yes, they are installing OEM parking sensors on the Z which has iDrive, but not PDC. They say they've done that before - I think a very generous offer on their part.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #69
concerthiker
Enlisted Member
Rep

Many thanks to Morristown BMW - Mark, Dave and Andrew. They really went above and beyond and I greatly appreciate their efforts and generous offerings. I now have a gorgeous EB on black loaded 335xi with some much appreciated extras. I'm very excited to have the car and, despite the storm forecast, for the Cape May trip tomorrow. I do recommend them and will be bringing both cars back next week for some addons. Hope everyone has a great weekend. And thanks for easing me through this. It worked out in the end and I feel good about it. I believe they do as we'll.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #70
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Damn with how things worked out in the end for you, I wish my 2013 335 xdrive also broke down on the way home from the dealership. Congratulations and enjoy the weekend in your new and improved car
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #71
phx08
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MKV Jetta

Quote:
Many thanks to Morristown BMW - Mark, Dave and Andrew. They really went above and beyond and I greatly appreciate their efforts and generous offerings. I now have a gorgeous EB on black loaded 335xi with some much appreciated extras. I'm very excited to have the car and, despite the storm forecast, for the Cape May trip tomorrow. I do recommend them and will be bringing both cars back next week for some addons. Hope everyone has a great weekend. And thanks for easing me through this. It worked out in the end and I feel good about it. I believe they do as we'll.
Well there ya go! Awesome news!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #72
mikemike
Private
Rep
Drives: F10, F25, F30, E71, R56.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEMANRICK View Post
Damn with how things worked out in the end for you, I wish my 2013 335 xdrive also broke down on the way home from the dealership. Congratulations and enjoy the weekend in your new and improved car
I am sure the 4 dealers in our area will NOT able to provide the level of service like the OP received.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #73
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
I am sure the 4 dealers in our area will NOT able to provide the level of service like the OP received.
It sounds like the initial level of service from the OP's dealer was quite terrible before the dealer saw the light and made amends for their errors. Over the past 7 years I have bought my last 3 BMW's from Brian Jessel and I have been very satisfied with their service and pricing.

For example, whenever I get my car serviced I use their valet service and they drive a loaner to my house (usually a 328 or 335 model with less than 1,000 km) and they drive my car to their service department for service. When the service is complete they drive my car back to my house and take their loaner back to the dealership. The last time I was interrested in upgrading my 2008 335xi to a 2012 or 2013 F30 I called the sales manager at Brian Jessel and told him my car was getting serviced next week and for him to send me over a 2012 335i as a loaner for me to test drive overnight..........no problem, when my car was serviced the next week the valet dropped off at my house a new 2012 335i with less than 500km.

When it comes down to negotiations on a new car I tell them to look at my car when it is in service and for them to email me an on the road after trade in price for me to upgrade to a new vehicle. No hassle and no BS straight up on the road pricing with no games and no time wasted at the dealer...........
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #74
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Glad it all worked out. But, to play devil's advocate, I think expectations were a little higher than a base in reality. I understand customer service. But I don't know that I really see a miss that warranted the initial reaction. It seems all of the fuss was over the fact that management didn't chime in or respond. Management likely didn't have a story to tell that differed from what your CA was relaying. All they would have been able to do is kiss and/or blow smoke up your posterior. Is it really that important to hear someone in a position of power fawn over you?

As you've ascerted, they very early on indicated that they would attempt to locate a replacement. This is not mandated by law. Once delivered it's delivered. Anything that happens is a warranty claim - even a catastrophic failure. While the selection and purchase of vehicles is highly personal and often emotional, in the end, it's a mode of transportation. They immediately provided a loaner for your use. It may not have been as nice or big as you would have liked, but it got you back on the road. They also agreed to provide another vehicle that better suited your needs for your road trip. I'm afraid I just don't see why all the hub bub.

Finally, while I think it's great you have a sucessful business, I'm disheartned by everyone I run across that claims they "understand customer service" because they own a business. More often than not, they have a tendency to try to draw direct parallels between their own business and business X that they're having a problem with. Unless you own a high end automotive franchise you really don't understand what's happening on their side of the desk/phone/email. Rather, as a business owner, you should have patience and understand that sometimes things go horribly wrong and that every once in a while it's something no one has ever seen/experienced before. As I stated originally, I'm very glad that it all finally worked out. You're going to love the 335.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #75
concerthiker
Enlisted Member
Rep

I appreciate your thoughts and don't want this to turn into a back and forth on what is an appropriate response or why. Customer service is not determined by business but but by approach, attitude and value. As a business owner, especially one where direct customer service is integral and critical, i often encounter people who are frustrated, disppointed or hindered by their particulr problem. Solving the problem is the minimal requirement. Whena customer is disgruntled over something my business is responsible for, even if not in direct control of, then I thinkits good customer service which not only resolves the problem quickly but goes above and beyond for the customer. This is what separates the good from the great, the average from the top. Customer service and appreciation is also not driven by law and no where did I mention or consider any legal action. As I noted in my posts I took responsibility for some of the shortcomings in this event - publicly here and directly with the dealership. I don't need or want undue attention, not a glory hog, never followed the popular crowd. I was disappointed when management of any kind hadn't responded because I'm a long term customer who experienced a very drastic negative experience. A brand new car that didn't make it five miles from the dealership I think warrants more emphasis and response than I initially encountered. That's all. I would have taken the same approach with any client of mine. The communication and response since Tuesday of last week has really kicked up and has been phenomenal. It's as I've come to encounter from this dealership.

In the end all worked out. The weekend was mostly rainy but we did get to see all we wanted including a walk on the beach, great food, exploring some haunted and historical places and enjoying the view from atop the Cape May Lighthouse and WWII Fire Tower. If you ever have the chance visit Cape May. It's a beautiful town with great history and a lot to do in a small area. I'd encourage doing so just before or just after the crowded summer tourist season.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #76
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
I appreciate your thoughts and don't want this to turn into a back and forth on what is an appropriate response or why. Customer service is not determined by business but but by approach, attitude and value. As a business owner, especially one where direct customer service is integral and critical, i often encounter people who are frustrated, disppointed or hindered by their particulr problem. Solving the problem is the minimal requirement. Whena customer is disgruntled over something my business is responsible for, even if not in direct control of, then I thinkits good customer service which not only resolves the problem quickly but goes above and beyond for the customer. This is what separates the good from the great, the average from the top. Customer service and appreciation is also not driven by law and no where did I mention or consider any legal action. As I noted in my posts I took responsibility for some of the shortcomings in this event - publicly here and directly with the dealership. I don't need or want undue attention, not a glory hog, never followed the popular crowd. I was disappointed when management of any kind hadn't responded because I'm a long term customer who experienced a very drastic negative experience. A brand new car that didn't make it five miles from the dealership I think warrants more emphasis and response than I initially encountered. That's all. I would have taken the same approach with any client of mine. The communication and response since Tuesday of last week has really kicked up and has been phenomenal. It's as I've come to encounter from this dealership.

In the end all worked out. The weekend was mostly rainy but we did get to see all we wanted including a walk on the beach, great food, exploring some haunted and historical places and enjoying the view from atop the Cape May Lighthouse and WWII Fire Tower. If you ever have the chance visit Cape May. It's a beautiful town with great history and a lot to do in a small area. I'd encourage doing so just before or just after the crowded summer tourist season.
I'm in Ocean City for a few weeks myself...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #77
concerthiker
Enlisted Member
Rep

Enjoy! Nice area.
Appreciate 0