F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Steering "clunk" -- BMW NA is refusing to investigate further
GetBMWParts

04-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Steering "clunk" -- BMW NA is refusing to investigate further

There have been quite a few posts in the past about steering clunks, etc. Also at least one or two threads about clunks on the driver's side over certain bumps and uneven pavement, but with little information on a resolution. I wanted to post to see if anyone else has any solutions that have worked for them.

I've been engaged in a bit of a fight with BMW NA to fix this problem, but have been stonewalled by the resolutions department...they stopped returning my calls.

Is anyone else experiencing these problems and has anyone had a satisfactory resolution?

My car makes a clunking noise on the driver's side over most bumps and uneven pavement that can be felt in the steering wheel. In certain situations the front left sounds almost like it's falling apart over certain surfaces. When stationary, you can replicate the clunking sound by moving the steering wheel back and forth. I've raised this problem EVERY SINGLE TIME the car has been to the dealership (too many to count). I first noted it before I installed the H&R springs. Every time they looked at the car, everything was in working ordered, every nut and bolt torqued to spec...no visible problem. I insisted that it's not suspension-related, it's clearly a steering related issue (other forum members noted it was happening on driver's side...left hand and right hand drive cars). Finally, they ordered a new power steering rack (as that was suggested as a fix by another forum member); the rack took months to arrive and after replacement it did not solve the problem, and several new problems arose. And now the clunking seems more and more obvious.

Now there is a "squeak" when I turn the wheel, and there is a distinctive "swishing" almost electro-mechanical sound...like a servo...when moving the wheel that wasn't there before.

I raised the issue with BMW NA as my dealership service department was at a loss -- I asked BMW NA's resolutions department to either figure out the problem, replace the car, or buy it back. They had me take the car BACK in to the dealership for re-evaluation so one of the the regional "field service engineers" can be engaged to figure out the problem. Long story short, I received the same story -- nothing appears to be wrong, all components torqued properly. They claimed that when they tried wiggling the steering wheel of other F30s on the lot, they made the same sound and now claim that this is "normal" and refused to investigate the sound further because I "have aftermarket springs." But, in every F30 loaner I've had, I haven't been able to replicate the sound over bumps or wiggling the wheel. The BMW NA resolutions department called me back saying "Good news! The field service engineer team came back and said everything is OK with you car!" Which was infuriating, because it's not better, it still squeaks, it still clunks, etc. I escalated the problem to the next level with BMW NA, it was re-evaluated internally, and a week late I received call back with the same results. "Your car is fine, BMW won't buy it back and there's nothing more we can do." I've called back several times looking for a more technical explanation of what makes this sound if it is indeed "normal" but my voicemails have not been returned.

Now, I'm stuck with a car that clunks over bumps, clunks and squeaks when moving the steering wheel...and BMW NA claims that it's "normal" but then in the same breath won't investigate further because I have H&R springs.

I suppose my next move is to put the stock springs back on, show that it still makes the clunking noise, and the see what the next step is. Here are a couple videos demonstrating the sounds -- note that the "clunk" sound when moving the wheel is the exact same clunking sound the car makes over bumps and uneven pavement.

So, is anyone else experiencing this? Am I being "too picky?"

Clunking sound:

Now the new squeaking sound:

The new "swishing sound" since replacing the steering rack (turn up volume or use headphones):

Last edited by AWF30MSPORT; 04-02-2014 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
jmaak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 370z

You put on aftermarket springs, have developed suspension issues, and now want bmw to buy back your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
ajfriedm87
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4, CP, Manual

The last video sounds like a servo or electric motor. Where can you find a schematic of the steering assembly? May help think of locations that this noise is coming from
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #4
doug piston
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 320

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

is that true? you put aftermarket springs on it?
      04-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
Damn Dirty Ape
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaak View Post
You put on aftermarket springs, have developed suspension issues, and now want bmw to buy back your car?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
Damn Dirty Ape
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Infiniti Q50S

Going back to stock would have been the first thing I would have done - and bmwna should have insisted on it before looking at it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Hold up. You brought your car to the service with aftermarket springs on it and started complaining about the steering?
      04-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #9
AWF30MSPORT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 Porsche 981 Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaak View Post
It's a steering clunking noise, as demonstrated in the video when moving the steering wheel. It also make the sound when going over bumps. This is well documented in several previous threads on other members' cars with stock springs. The H&R springs did not cause this issue to develop, it's been ongoing. I love this car, I just want it to work well and not clunk constantly, BMW can't seem to fix it, so yes, I would like them to buy it back from me if they can't fix it. See threads below:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798642

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=876523

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928817

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712998

This problem that can't be resolved is not related to the springs. But, it looks like I will need to switch the springs back in order to BMW NA to play ball. And I first noticed it a few times before the springs went on, but it's one of those things I didn't really become familiar with until I put in more driving time. (the springs were installed days after the car arrived in the US, BY THE DEALER'S SERVICE DEPARTMENT in addition to every other M Performance part on the car)

This is all on top of the ticking sound form the M Performance brakes that have never been addressed, the rusty seat frames, a failed attempt at MPPK install that required a second DME replacement (and 3 weeks with the car in the shop for that alone), warped M Performance brake rotors within 15K miles, etc. etc. My car has been in an out of service more times than every single other car I have every owned, combined. So, yeah, after they replaced the power steering rack in an attempt to solve the clunking and it still didn't solve the problem...cumulatively with the other issues I've had with the car, I asked them to buy it back from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfriedm87 View Post
The last video sounds like a servo or electric motor. Where can you find a schematic of the steering assembly? May help think of locations that this noise is coming from
Yes, and it didn't make that sound until after the new power steering rack was installed, which as I understand is a new part number since my production. I was curious if anyone else hears that same noise in their cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
is that true? you put aftermarket springs on it?
Yes, clearly stated in the original post and my signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Dirty Ape View Post
Going back to stock would have been the first thing I would have done - and bmwna should have insisted on it before looking at it.
In retrospect, I should have done that, but my dealer service department installed the springs, and my dealer examined and attempted to diagnose the steering clunk several times with the springs on. The power steering rack was replaced under warranty by my dealer in an attempt to solve the steering clunk...this is an implicit acknowledgement that there is indeed a "problem" and this is not "normal" as BMW NA is now claiming. See the handful of threads I posted where others have the same problem.

BMW NA just hung their hat on the fact that I have aftermarket springs as a reason to not dig any further. My SA discouraged me from spending the money to swap the springs back to stock and to instead push BMW NA on a resolution as it was his opinion and service manager's opinion that I have a strong case based on the numerous failed attempts to diagnose and resolve this problem in addition to the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Hold up. You brought your car to the service with aftermarket springs on it and started complaining about the steering?
It's been an ongoing issue, see above on the numerous other threads of people experienced the steering clunk (stationary and moving over bumps). It's not a suspension issue, but a flaw with the steering mechanicals. BMW covered a new power steering rack under warranty in an attempt to fix the problem, but it didn't work. Now after they replaced the steering rack and nothing was changed and now there are NEW steering related noises, they are saying it's normal and refusing to take any deeper look.

This is all on top of the ticking M Performance brakes, the rusty seat frames that seemed to affect the pre-Nov 12 builds, a failed attempt at MPPK install that required a second DME replacement (and 3 weeks with the car in the shop for that alone), warped M Performance brake rotors within 15K miles, etc. etc.

So, back to my original question -- has anyone else who experienced this steering clunk issue previously had an luck with resolutions?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

If you feel strongly about your stance, it's time to engage counsel.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #11
newoldbeemer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 328i

What am I missing - what does clunking sounds from the steering have to do with aftermarket springs? Isn't that like refusing dental insurance to someone who donated a kidney?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
dL.
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Coupe xDrive

I don't know why BMW is treating you like this, and I won't comment on this part as I don't know how you approached them.

All I can say is this is definitely not normal. I have the same car as yours and I don't have any of the noises that you currently have, and I too have lowering springs.

Did you try demonstrating the difference between your car and the dealer's lot cars with the engineers and foreman in person? That's the best way to prove to them that it is not normal. Have you also tried another dealership? Having a service manager that actually cares goes a long ways.

If that's how BMWNA is going to treat you at the end, then I suggest to just take a loss and move on with another brand and never get BMW again.

It sucks, but in this world, nobody really gives a shit about anybody anymore, unless you have the patience to find the one that does.

dL
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #13
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Not sure how this could be related to the springs either. I'm not in your car but from the video it sounds like the clunk is coming from a part near the steering wheel and nowhere near the springs. As far as the last video, with the swooshing sound, I'm tempted to say "it's normal", without having checked in my own car. But I'm not shocked by this noise unlike the other one.

I remember the clunk having been discussed several times on this forum, you should look around.

One thing is for sure, you can't disclose certain things when making a claim like this, or the other party will be quick to use your honest disclosure in bad faith, just like what BMW is doing here. This is something I've learned the hard way and being honest doesn't pay when dealing with a corporation.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #14
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeb817 View Post
The squeaking sound can be fixed. There is a bulletin for it. I believe my dealer just lubricated it. It's been squeak free for six months.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #15
Roki_014
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 i5 M60

Any aftermarket part is an excuse for them not to do anything especially buy back the car, before they offered buy back to me they made sure that there was no mods on te car, and this just proves y i wouldnt put anything on the car, i am happy i got the new car and its much better than my previous
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 10:04 PM   #16
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

OP, if you would have went back to stock, you would be in a new car by now. fyi.
      04-02-2014, 11:30 PM   #17
Alpine435i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 435i

Please hold your phone sideways when taking videos.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 12:34 AM   #18
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

I have the exact same problem on my 335i. It clunks when I go over a bump, especially if I'm turning left over a driveway or speed bump. I've had my car in to BMW 5 times already and they haven't fixed it. I'm taking it back again and leaving it until its fixed.

I also have H&R Sport Springs, BUT the clunk developed before I had the springs installed and I took it in for repair before the springs were installed. It is most definitely not caused by the springs.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 12:47 AM   #19
Roki_014
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
I have the exact same problem on my 335i. It clunks when I go over a bump, especially if I'm turning left over a driveway or speed bump. I've had my car in to BMW 5 times already and they haven't fixed it. I'm taking it back again and leaving it until its fixed.

I also have H&R Sport Springs, BUT the clunk developed before I had the springs installed and I took it in for repair before the springs were installed. It is most definitely not caused by the springs.
It doesnt metter if they find out u have the springs they will blame it on them and end of story they are not responsible to do anything
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 12:50 AM   #20
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
It doesnt metter if they find out u have the springs they will blame it on them and end of story they are not responsible to do anything
So far my dealer hasn't made any issue about the springs because its on record that the problem was reported and brought to them before the springs were installed. They are genuinely trying to help, but its frustrating that they tell me its fixed and then I pick it up and its not fixed.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 12:51 AM   #21
Roki_014
Major
Rep

Op if u keep playing with the steering like that while parked who knoes what other sounds u ll get, its not meant to be jerked in place while parked
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 12:56 AM   #22
Roki_014
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
So far my dealer hasn't made any issue about the springs because its on record that the problem was reported and brought to them before the springs were installed. They are genuinely trying to help, but its frustrating that they tell me its fixed and then I pick it up and its not fixed.
Just wait untill bmw na looks into the case they will go csi on ur car before doing a buy back and the springs r reason for them not to proceed with buy back
Appreciate 0