F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Any news on F31 Touring?
proTUNING Freaks

03-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #45
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

it seems there's a disconnect with the ordering guide and the website.
it says here Active Cruise is available in Canada.
maybe there's still a chance we could see Lux and Sport Lines, no?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #46
shag
pullin a boat
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Welp, here's my understanding of things...

I once reached out to product marketing directly (I know some people) asking them why the hell they won't let us order anything we want that wouldn't impact federalization or Transport Canada certification. The New Product Introduction process, common to many companies selling products or services (automotive or not), requires that internal groups & dealer staff receive proper training with regards to the product. If the offering is too complex, or if a set of options have a very low take rate (such as cloth interior, active park assist/active cruise control, front side cameras, etc), it makes product knowledge training a PITA for the company. If the CA doesn't know much about the features, how do you expect them to sell these features to the masses? Bad customer experience because expectations are set too high & the CA will fail to explain the shortfalls of this & that option.

Not all customers are enthusiasts like us - we are a minority, unfortunately. ZSP (Special Order) is there for us geeks who know ordering codes by heart. For example, this code would let a customer order a 328i with 2TB (Sport Auto) even though it isn't offered on the normal build sheet - one Canadian member actually got this. If you press hard enough, BMW Canada can probably let some non-standard options fly, but it has to make sense - if it entails adding features and/or parts not supported, featured or stocked/spared in Canada, I don't think it's going to fly.

Most cars in Canada are bought off the lot or are pre-built with 100% take-rate packaging (e.g. strippers with Premium package). I don't have any statistics to compare BTO vs off-the-lot but I'm sure there's a rationale behind these choices. That being said, I still don't get why we can't get a Luxury or Sport line Touring... I didn't push the matter as the current offering for the Touring in Canada fits my needs almost perfectly - this would not be the case if I was in the market for a sedan. At one point I was complaining about not being able to order the M Sport Package on a 328 sedan, now I'm supposed to complain that a Touring can't be ordered with Sport Line?! Nah... some times you just have to let it go.

My two cents - and no I don't work in the auto industry, so I have nothing to do with BMW Canada other than being a customer and an all-around car nut.

2021 X3 M40i, Phytonic/Cognac
Past:
2017 330i xDrive Touring M Sport, EBII, Dinan
2014 328d xDrive Touring M Sport, BSM/CR.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #47
canbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31

Well, the ordering guide lists 544 dynamic cruise control as standard on the Canadian F31. Is that the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 11:06 AM   #48
benbenwin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag

I once reached out to product marketing directly (I know some people) asking them why the hell they won't let us order anything we want that wouldn't impact federalization or Transport Canada certification. The New Product Introduction process, common to many companies selling products or services (automotive or not), requires that internal groups & dealer staff receive proper training with regards to the product. If the offering is too complex, or if a set of options have a very low take rate (such as cloth interior, active park assist/active cruise control, front side cameras, etc), it makes product knowledge training a PITA for the company. If the CA doesn't know much about the features, how do you expect them to sell these features to the masses? Bad customer experience because expectations are set too high & the CA will fail to explain the shortfalls of this & that option.

Not all customers are enthusiasts like us - we are a minority, unfortunately. ZSP (Special Order) is there for us geeks who know ordering codes by heart. For example, this code would let a customer order a 328i with 2TB (Sport Auto) even though it isn't offered on the normal build sheet - one Canadian member actually got this. If you press hard enough, BMW Canada can probably let some non-standard options fly, but it has to make sense - if it entails adding features and/or parts not supported, featured or stocked/spared in Canada, I don't think it's going to fly.

Most cars in Canada are bought off the lot or are pre-built with 100% take-rate packaging (e.g. strippers with Premium package). I don't have any statistics to compare BTO vs off-the-lot but I'm sure there's a rationale behind these choices. That being said, I still don't get why we can't get a Luxury or Sport line Touring... I didn't push the matter as the current offering for the Touring in Canada fits my needs almost perfectly - this would not be the case if I was in the market for a sedan. At one point I was complaining about not being able to order the M Sport Package on a 328 sedan, now I'm supposed to complain that a Touring can't be ordered with Sport Line?! Nah... some times you just have to let it go.

My two cents - and no I don't work in the auto industry, so I have nothing to do with BMW Canada other than being a customer and an all-around car nut.
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #49
YYC Bimmer Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 & 2018 X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post

You make some very good points. Another point to consider is that BMWCA also limits options as many of these cars will be lease returns that they have to sell via an auction. They are not going to let a customer custom order a car that will not have a resale market to appeal to.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #50
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Does $48k for a 328xi F31 seem high? Just wondering what everyone thinks....
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #51
canbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31

^ Compared to what? Add a few options and you are in 60k territory! Personally I think it is what it is probably due to much lower sales volume than the sedan, X3 etc... I ordered the F31 because I love wagons and there really are so few competitive options.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #52
TObimmer
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by canbmw View Post
^ Compared to what? Add a few options and you are in 60k territory! Personally I think it is what it is probably due to much lower sales volume than the sedan, X3 etc... I ordered the F31 because I love wagons and there really are so few competitive options.
Wise words!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #53
shag
pullin a boat
Canada
Rep

HUD is now available as a standalone option for the Touring (1500 MSRP).

Past:
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #54
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
nice!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #55
benbenwin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag
Where did you get this info?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #56
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Great post, but somewhat demoralizing that CAs in Canada can't be expected to learn about a broader range of options. If you look at the way a 3 series can be configured in the UK, for example, there is a completely overwhelming range of engines and options, virtually all of which can be ordered with every body style and line.

Quote:

03-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #57
TObimmer
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Just be glad we are finally getting something we wanted. Canada is a tiny fish in the pond.
I'll take my Msport Diesel wagon thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
Great post, but somewhat demoralizing that CAs in Canada can't be expected to learn about a broader range of options. If you look at the way a 3 series can be configured in the UK, for example, there is a completely overwhelming range of engines and options, virtually all of which can be ordered with every body style and line.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #58
foxmccleod
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Quote:
Any more information on this? Do you know if this is in Canada only, or perhaps a MY14 change?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #59
shag
pullin a boat
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmccleod
Quote:
Any more information on this? Do you know if this is in Canada only, or perhaps a MY14 change?
Canada only. Bulletin is only for 2014 F31.

Past:
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #60
YYC Bimmer Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObimmer View Post
Just be glad we are finally getting something we wanted. Canada is a tiny fish in the pond.
I'll take my Msport Diesel wagon thank you!
Any idea on what the oil burner will cost over the gas engine?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #61
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep

for those itching to configure an F31, bmwusa.com is now live!
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=14tc
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #62
benbenwin
Private
Rep

Where is Canadian F31 assembled?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #63
YYC Bimmer Driver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

All 3 series tourings are built in Munich.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #64
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ademitt View Post
Any idea on what the oil burner will cost over the gas engine?
Wont be released until well into the year.

We get the dud 320d engine. Its shitty compared to the 330d or similar.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #65
benbenwin
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ademitt
All 3 series tourings are built in Munich.
That would be better! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #66
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Dont forget to order the stand alone heads up display. $1500 but I think one of the best options avail for the F31.
Appreciate 0