F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Post retrofit NBT questions
Extreme Powerhouse

01-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #1
mickiii
Rep
Drives: Z4, 2 x 1`s, current G21

Post retrofit NBT questions

So finally have everything installed, but a few issues / questions:

Question 1:
My car is a MY2017 420D GC, so technically it would have been born with EVO if spec'ed with 609. I have retrofitted NBT, but I have the dark green cable which I am not able to plug into the unit. Is this okay? As far as I can understand, it is related to SOS calling and such?

Question 2:
I also have the white/beige cable to plug in, but it does not fit. I assume this is the one going to the USB in the armrest, and I am supposed to "shave" the plug and plug it in 180 degrees in reverse. Problem is that if I do that, how on earth would I be able to plug the HU back in? I can't see it fit, as the metal-jacket of the plug would be in the way? Is is possible to have a small adapter or something? I do not wish to pull a brand new cable.
Here is a picture of the plug (notice the huge metal jacket):

Question 3:
The donor car came with the following: 6AC, 6AE, 6AK, 6AM, 6AN, 6AP, 6NS. If I want app’s, browser, live and all that, do I then need to do the change of VIN and build date as I have been reading in various guides, or can I somehow avoid doing that? Also, is 3G bluetooth tethering possible for my unit? Not sure if it is important, but my NBT is from 2015.

Any help on the above is much appreciated - thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:37 AM   #2
mickiii
Rep

Okay, so to get around the USB issue, I decided to buy one of this cable.

I have now fitted the white plug into the female plug and shaved / mounted the male into the NBT unit, but as soon as I plug in my iphone it connects / disconnects all the time (just like when you have a faulty charging cable that shorts or something). Why could that be? I really need some help here, as I am going crazy not having my USB plug working.

Could it be that my MY17 F36 has the correct wiring and that I do not need to flip it? The white plug cable does not fit into the NBT unit at all, not even in the "correct" way.
Is my "cable" solution above wrong? I assumed it would just be plug to plug basically.

Appreciate any help on this! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 09:08 AM   #3
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickiii View Post
Okay, so to get around the USB issue, I decided to buy one of this cable.

I have now fitted the white plug into the female plug and shaved / mounted the male into the NBT unit, but as soon as I plug in my iphone it connects / disconnects all the time (just like when you have a faulty charging cable that shorts or something). Why could that be? I really need some help here, as I am going crazy not having my USB plug working.

Could it be that my MY17 F36 has the correct wiring and that I do not need to flip it? The white plug cable does not fit into the NBT unit at all, not even in the "correct" way.
Is my "cable" solution above wrong? I assumed it would just be plug to plug basically.

Appreciate any help on this! Thanks!
Is your iPhone cable genuine? This cable should work fine as we have used something similar for all of our retrofits.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
mickiii
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmercoders View Post
Is your iPhone cable genuine? This cable should work fine as we have used something similar for all of our retrofits.
Yep, tried with a couple of cables even, so I think it has to be wrong wiring.

I started reading on bimmerfest yesterday and could it be that I have gotten the "flip 180" wrong? I have seen a thread with Shawn and others, basically saying the flipping is not enough, one has to splice and rewire. I assumed: shawe "male" plug, flip 180 degrees before inserting into NBT unit, i.e. the "lockingpin"-end pointing opposite the female plug on the NBT unit.

I have to break out the volt-meter this weekend I guess
Appreciate 0