F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Extended Warranty - Best Price
Studio RSR

07-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
DanITman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Extended Warranty - Best Price

Who should I contact for a good extended warranty price? I'm looking at Gold or Platinum for an additional 50k miles.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
440GCSTL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 440 Gran Coupe

If you didn't just purchase/lease the car my answer probably won't help but I did want to post it in this thread as it might help others that are doing research. Thanks to another poster I was made aware of the GEICO MBI policy that is about $7/mo and takes you up to 7yr/100k. It can only be added when the car is purchased/leased and at the time it's purchased it must have less than 15k and be less than 15 months old.

I already know up front I'll be keeping my car for the distance so I don't mind committing upfront to the coverage, although I'm not sure I can even call $7/mo a commitment. To me it's a no brainer for anyone that is even remotely unsure about if they will keep the car past the factory warranty. To top it off the auto insurance itself was WAY cheaper than my State Farm policy so that was nice as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440GCSTL View Post
If you didn't just purchase/lease the car my answer probably won't help but I did want to post it in this thread as it might help others that are doing research. Thanks to another poster I was made aware of the GEICO MBI policy that is about $7/mo and takes you up to 7yr/100k. It can only be added when the car is purchased/leased and at the time it's purchased it must have less than 15k and be less than 15 months old.

I already know up front I'll be keeping my car for the distance so I don't mind committing upfront to the coverage, although I'm not sure I can even call $7/mo a commitment. To me it's a no brainer for anyone that is even remotely unsure about if they will keep the car past the factory warranty. To top it off the auto insurance itself was WAY cheaper than my State Farm policy so that was nice as well.
I actually have GEICO and I called about MBI for my 330e. Long time customer. Nonetheless, they WON'T write MBI for a phev.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
I actually have GEICO and I called about MBI for my 330e. Long time customer. Nonetheless, they WON'T write MBI for a phev.
I had it on AH3.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post
I had it on AH3.
Darn you...you are probably the reason that GEICO won't underwrite phevs!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 10:23 PM   #6
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Darn you...you are probably the reason that GEICO won't underwrite phevs!
Actually, it got on my policy somehow and when I found out I cancelled as I had no intention of keeping car after lease.

Things changed and I decided to keep it.

Now I wish I had kept it.

Never had a claim against them.....was all factory warranty stuff.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 11:16 PM   #7
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanITman View Post
Who should I contact for a good extended warranty price? I'm looking at Gold or Platinum for an additional 50k miles.
If you're looking at the BMWNA warranty, be aware that they changed their policy a couple years ago so that you can no longer shop the whole USA. You have to physically bring your car to the dealer(s) selling the warranty for examination/inspection, so call around only to dealers you're willing to drive to. The warranties are still good in the entire USA... This policy change was in reaction to a few dealers cutting excellent deals and the perception that they were sticking it to the full-price dealers/sellers.

A good price for Gold 2/100K would be in the $2600-$3000 range IME.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 11:57 PM   #8
chuckles01
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Sport, 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Quote:
If you're looking at the BMWNA warranty, be aware that they changed their policy a couple years ago so that you can no longer shop the whole USA. You have to physically bring your car to the dealer(s) selling the warranty for examination/inspection, so call around only to dealers you're willing to drive to. The warranties are still good in the entire USA... This policy change was in reaction to a few dealers cutting excellent deals and the perception that they were sticking it to the full-price dealers/sellers.

A good price for Gold 2/100K would be in the $2600-$3000 range IME.
Very helpful info, as I'm shopping for extended warranty from BMW as well. I was quoted $3300 for 3 yr / 75k platinum warranty. Is that a decent price?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles01 View Post
Very helpful info, as I'm shopping for extended warranty from BMW as well. I was quoted $3300 for 3 yr / 75k platinum warranty. Is that a decent price?
Seems like a fairly good price, as it's in the ballpark when I was shopping for them: although they have changed the options and coverage somewhat since then. There are many threads on warranties that you can search for and peruse (also in the e90post forum.)

Since you're in CAlifornia, remember that you have an emissions warranty that covers MANY engine problems to 7/70K anyway. It may not be worthwhile to you to buy a warranty because of that coverage - it wasn't for me (in WA, also a CARB state.)
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #10
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles01 View Post

Regardless of posts claiming otherwise, you can purchase Gold or Platinum anywhere in USA IF the Dealer wants to sell it to you.

They do not need your car on location.

You can find several BMW Dealers mentioned on forum that will give good deals.

MSRP pretty much standard...you can find 10%-15% discount when I checked less than 90 days ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 01:33 PM   #11
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinFLA View Post
Regardless of posts claiming otherwise, you can purchase Gold or Platinum anywhere in USA IF the Dealer wants to sell it to you.

They do not need your car on location.
So, your opinion/statement trumps many other posts, including direct responses from Greg Poland at PacificBMW: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=543775
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016744

Granted Greg doesn't DIRECTLY address location.

Last edited by floydarogers; 07-27-2017 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #12
GCinFLA
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
So, your opinion/statement trumps many other posts, including direct responses from Greg Poland at PacificBMW: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=543775
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1016744

Granted Greg doesn't DIRECTLY address location.
Sorry, but it's reality.

Greg might not like it....but Many places to buy BMW EW at discount.
Appreciate 0