F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > aFe N20 Downpipe Fitment Issue
Studio RSR

11-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

aFe N20 Downpipe Fitment Issue

So I went to install my brand new aFe downpipe on my 2013 328i (N20) and everything went fairly smooth until the very end where you need to slide the factory exhaust over the tip of the downpipe and then clamp it down. The issue that I ran into is that the last small 3-4" piece of the downpipe appears to be just slightly too large and I cannot get the factory exhaust over it (see pics attached). Just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this issue before as it really surprises me that I would run into an issue with probably the simplist part of of the construction of the downpipe. You would think that checking this part of the fitment would be part of the Q&A check before they are shipped out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #2
rmsurfer212
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM View Post
So I went to install my brand new aFe downpipe on my 2013 328i (N20) and everything went fairly smooth until the very end where you need to slide the factory exhaust over the tip of the downpipe and then clamp it down. The issue that I ran into is that the last small 3-4" piece of the downpipe appears to be just slightly too large and I cannot get the factory exhaust over it (see pics attached). Just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this issue before as it really surprises me that I would run into an issue with probably the simplist part of of the construction of the downpipe. You would think that checking this part of the fitment would be part of the Q&A check before they are shipped out.
I had the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsurfer212 View Post
I had the same issue.
What'd you end up doing?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
MCD
Private
Brazil
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

I had the same issue too...
I had to cut the final part of the DP and get a new piece welded to fit inside the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Helli217
Rep
Drives: E55 AMG, 11 Mustang GT

For over 400.00, that's ridiculous. They advertise "hassle free installation". It's supposed to be slip fit correct? Then it should fit, albeit a tight fit. I'd give them a call.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helli217 View Post
For over 400.00, that's ridiculous. They advertise "hassle free installation". It's supposed to be slip fit correct? Then it should fit, albeit a tight fit. I'd give them a call.
I 100% agree and am really pissed off. I'm probably going to get a tailpipe expander from autozone to try to stretch the factory exhaust pipe just the tiniest bit to get this damn thing in there. I'm already down 4 hours of my own time which will probably grow to 6 or 7 tomorrow. REALLY disappointed in aFe's quality control on this one...

Last edited by TurboM; 12-01-2013 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCD View Post
I had to cut the final part of the DP and get a new piece welded to fit inside the exhaust.
Did you call them and ask them to reimburse your for this??
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

I was contemplating this being my next purchase within the next month.

sub'd for fitment fix/resolution (both aFe & OP)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
MCD
Private
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM
Quote:
Did you call them and ask them to reimburse your for this??
I'm from Brazil, so I hadn't too many options left... As I already was at a specialized center, it was easy for them to had this cut and weld thing done.
But they were making jokes about the plug&play, simple bolt on as advertised, LOL....
Mine wasn't from AFE, I bought it from evolution race werks, and sent them an email describing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
marcoac14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I'm from Brazil, so I hadn't too many options left... As I already was at a specialized center, it was easy for them to had this cut and weld thing done.
But they were making jokes about the plug&play, simple bolt on as advertised, LOL....
Mine wasn't from AFE, I bought it from evolution race werks, and sent them an email describing the issue.
Hi MCD, I'm from Rio and I just placed my order as part of a black friday deal.
I'm afraid I have this very same issue. Gonna send them an email asap.

I intend to install it myself but if it comes like yours I'll have to go to a exhaust shop to get it installed properly.

I can't understand how a flaw like this is ignored by quality control.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoac14 View Post
Hi MCD, I'm from Rio and I just placed my order as part of a black friday deal.
I'm afraid I have this very same issue. Gonna send them an email asap.

I intend to install it myself but if it comes like yours I'll have to go to a exhaust shop to get it installed properly.

I can't understand how a flaw like this is ignored by quality control.
So I finally got it installed and now I cannot get rid of an exhaust leak that I have where the downpipe slips into the factory exhaust. I have literally tried EVERYTHING and cannot get this stupid thing to seal up. I have informed aFe and am awaiting their response. I'll let you know what they say, hopefully tomorrow.

All that I can say as a word of advice is before you do anything, unbolt the factory exhaust from the downpipe first and remove the 4 bolts that mount it to the frame (you have to do this anyway and it will only take you 5 minutes). Then slide the exhaust out and over a few inches so you can test fit the new downpipe into the factory exhaust. If it slides in flush, proceed with the install, if not, consider contacting aFe for advice before dealing with what Im dealing with. This install should literally only take about 1-2 hours depending on the tools you have available, I'm about 8-10 hours vested at this point, and still not done
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Sounds like typical aFe shenanigans. I have the Scorcher module and it throws engine codes like a madman. I called them about this and they will not return my calls. I will search else where for future parts purchases.
      12-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishhead24 View Post
Sounds like typical aFe shenanigans. I have the Scorcher module and it throws engine codes like a madman. I called them about this and they will not return my calls. I will search else where for future parts purchases.
Hello phish can elaborate more on the engine codes you are getting?

I sent AFE an email asking about codes that can be seen during maintenance and the replied leading me to believe I can expect no codes
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
bmwluvr24
Driving Mika all over California.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Here are the codes from the dealership. They are mostly computer confusion due to increased power or wheel spin. These aren't terrible by products, but I am not too happy that my car goes into limp mode as a result.
Attached Images

12-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

It's actually not good customer service that you are not getting support. I will point the sale guy who contacted me to this thread. Safe to say i am not very comfortable going for AFE ATM perhaps stage 1 BMS should be the way for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #16
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouzzo View Post
perhaps stage 1 BMS should be the way for me.
It's been in my car since 25th Feb '13 and hasn't missed a beat. Was removed for one day so BMW could carry out first service. They didn't know about the BMS as all diagnosis data/codes were clear.

The BMS went straight back in after I drove my car home. No issues to date.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
It's been in my car since 25th Feb '13 and hasn't missed a beat. Was removed for one day so BMW could carry out first service. They didn't know about the BMS as all diagnosis data/codes were clear.

The BMS went straight back in after I drove my car home. No issues to date.
Thanks Dave for the heads up. I was about to order being sold on the early arrival of torque in the AFE dyno and ease of install condering only two connectors are involved.

In my country the best fuel we get is RON 95 equivalent to us 91 . Do you think I will benefit from BMS stage 2 or shall I stick to stage 1
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #18
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouzzo View Post
In my country the best fuel we get is RON 95 equivalent to us 91 . Do you think I will benefit from BMS stage 2 or shall I stick to stage 1
Hi Ouzzo,

We also have RON95 & 98 as well amongst other fuel mixes.
I have stuck with Stage 1 as Stage 2 is still in Beta form and personally, I prefer to wait until S2 is out of beta.

Others on this forum have S2 and love it. With the electronic waste gate (late 2012 build N20 engines onwards), the power & torque boost over S1 is not as high as with the solenoid controlled waste gate.

Until BMS find a solution, I'm happy with staying put. S1 is a great jump over an already impressive stock performance.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Hi Ouzzo,

We also have RON95 & 98 as well amongst other fuel mixes.
I have stuck with Stage 1 as Stage 2 is still in Beta form and personally, I prefer to wait until S2 is out of beta.

Others on this forum have S2 and love it. With the electronic waste gate (late 2012 build N20 engines onwards), the power & torque boost over S1 is not as high as with the solenoid controlled waste gate.

Until BMS find a solution, I'm happy with staying put. S1 is a great jump over an already impressive stock performance.
Thanks for jacking this thread guys

On a side note I suppose, spoke to aFe technical support today and theyre going to send me another exhaust clamp to see that that does the trick. I dont have high hopes at this point but I guess we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #20
Ouzzo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboM View Post
Thanks for jacking this thread guys

On a side note I suppose, spoke to aFe technical support today and theyre going to send me another exhaust clamp to see that that does the trick. I dont have high hopes at this point but I guess we'll see.
Oh sorry my bad there

I really hope it works out with the new clamp, keep us updated when it arrives
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #21
MCD
Private
Brazil
Rep

I really don't think a new clamp will do the job.... the problem is the final section's diameter of the DP. It HAS to be thinner so it can go inside the exhaust...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is (#5 of 586)

I would tend to agree with MCD.

I think the clamp will be a NO-GO to complete the installation correctly.

Just judging by the pictures you posted, I imagine that even if the clamp is 4"-8" in length, and is REALLY torqued down on the DP & pipe, the exhaust will leak like a siv.

Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst (with this 'fix')...keep us posted.
Appreciate 0