F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Pilot Super Sport tires going on today
GetBMWParts

04-29-2016, 02:42 AM   #45
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfanos View Post
I have a question for those who have Dynaplug.
I bought a kit but I haven't put it in the car yet. It's because I'm wondering what will happen with the metal peak thing. When the tire is inflated, no problem. But what if the tire loses all the air and is completely flat? If the peak happens to be at the bottom when it happens, will that metal peak damage the rim? I know it's worst case scenario but I always plan for the worst.
*with russian accent* - What is this "Dynaplug"?

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #46
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco View Post
*with russian accent* - What is this "Dynaplug"?
Sounds like something to stick in the ass.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #47
zeezz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport Line

PSS is a great tire, only shame is the treadwear (to be expected for such a sticky tire). I'm at about 20K and it will probably be time for a new set in 5k or so. they get pretty loud at this point as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 12:01 PM   #48
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 GTI 6MT, was 320i ZSP/ZMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Why are they evil? Late Saturday night you are out of town 200 miles from a BMW store and your tire goes down.... now what? Nobody stocks them so you wait until Monday to order one and have it shipped to you so you are about 2 days no car.

Also, many guys wont repair a RFT flat so each puncture is a new tire at considerably more than a normal tire.
There really aren't many scenarios where RFT vs go-flat has a significant impact on your schedule. Let's look at all the scenarios:

-If it's a nail/screw in the tread, you slime it and carry on your merry way with either tire type. Run-flats shouldn't be driven any significant distance with no air in the tire, so it's not like you are going to drive 200 miles home on your RFTs anyway.

-If it's sidewall damage/blowout/etc, you are calling roadside assistance with either tire type

-In my experience, 18"/19" MPSS go-flats and 18"/19" RFTs are equally unlikely to be in stock at the nearby tire shop, so either way you are waiting a few days for your replacement tire to come in

-My local tire shop will repair tread punctures on RFTs; they don't even charge more. I asked the guy about it, and he said there is no significant difference except mounting/dismounting RFTs might cause the technician to cuss a bit more. The actual repair is the same either way. I had a RFT repaired for ~$25, and it never had another issue in the next 10k miles.

What I do is keep a second set of wheels/tires/tpms (sometimes with winter tires) at home, then I have something I can mount in case of a blowout/sidewall damage. If I am really concerned on a long trip, I'll just throw one of the extra wheels+tires in the trunk to use as a full-size spare. Since you usually have to buy a second set of tires on a BMW lease anyway, it's really no additional expense (used wheels/TPMS don't really depreciate much, so I can always sell them for what I paid less shipping costs).
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #49
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
Meh, they get pretty hard by 40 degrees, but they are no way unsafe. You are driving a car on the street, not trying to win the Indy 500 to save the human race. Coldest I've driven them was 29ish degrees on frost covered roads. I drove like there might be ice on the road, because there might be ice on the road... thus I was fine.

Good news is that since its hard in cold temps, they wear like iron in cold temps.
My PSS definitely got slick at low temps. This was most evident during acceleration and accelerating while turning. Add in a little water with those cold temps and cornering dropped off dramatically too. Still, like you said, the car was perfectly drivable with a bit of extra care.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #50
the_phew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 GTI 6MT, was 320i ZSP/ZMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
My PSS definitely got slick at low temps. This was most evident during acceleration and accelerating while turning. Add in a little water with those cold temps and cornering dropped off dramatically too. Still, like you said, the car was perfectly drivable with a bit of extra care.
This aspect of summer/winter tire swapping is seldom discussed. In my climate in April/October, a typical day might swing from a low of 30F to a high of 70+F. With either tire type, you have the sub-optimal tire type for the conditions at some time during the day.

People call all-seasons "no-seasons", but in the temperate months, either winter or summer tires are also "no-seasons". Poor low-temperature traction with summer tires and awful treadwear/flatspotting with winter tires in warm temperatures are both much more annoying than the moderate compromises of performance all-seasons like Conti DWS.

Going forward, I'm leaning toward running Nokian's WRG3 all-weather tires (still has snowflake symbol) from Oct-April, and summer tires from May-Sept. This avoids the issues above.

Last edited by the_phew; 04-29-2016 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 12:08 PM   #51
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Palacios. MD View Post
Hi! Did you use the OEM sizes for the new MPSSs? I'd like to increase a little bit the widths...

Maybe 245/35 front - 275/30 rear. Yes I know I'd probably have to change the wheels...

Excellent day...
Be aware that the PSS run wide for their given size.
For reference, go to tirerack and look up the specs for your current tire and size.
Then go back and look at the specs for the PSS in the same size.
Pay attention to the tread width measurement and also the sidewall width.

The PSS is sure to be wider at both points.

I mention this because if you upsize the PSS too much, they may rub.
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #52
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post
This aspect of summer/winter tire swapping is seldom discussed. In my climate in April/October, a typical day might swing from a low of 30F to a high of 70+F. With either tire type, you have the sub-optimal tire type for the conditions at some time during the day.

People call all-seasons "no-seasons", but in the temperate months, either winter or summer tires are also "no-seasons".
Exactly! A good portion of the year, here in Little Rock is below optimal summer tire temps.
The winter months are an automatic no-go. But as I do a lot of night time driving, the temps are too cold during a lot of spring and fall nights too.

For me, the Pilot Sport AS/3 might be a better fit, as I can run them year round.
But then again, the PSS is so good, I don't mind swapping tires for the winter.
In fact, I had to swap them... The PSS I bought in May were bald in the rear in November. About 8k miles later. The quick tread wear, combined with a bit of hooning inspired by my new tune and inability to rotate my staggered wheels, wore them out in short order.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #53
x986
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by etinifni View Post
Do those of you that are running non-RFTS carry a spare in your trunk?
No! I would love to have a 'space saver', but haven't found a good solution. That said, since the run flats on my '07 Bimmer went to heaven, I have gone naked and proud in three cars.

Thank about your own experiences. How often have you needed a spare or run flat?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #54
etinifni
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Modern Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x986
Quote:
Do those of you that are running non-RFTS carry a spare in your trunk?
No! I would love to have a 'space saver', but haven't found a good solution. That said, since the run flats on my '07 Bimmer went to heaven, I have gone naked and proud in three cars.

Thank about your own experiences. How often have you needed a spare or run flat?
This is the first car I've owned with rfts so I'm learning as I go. If I go on a long trip it may make sense to carry one of those donut kits.
      04-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #55
phattbam
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 Protonic Blue i3 REx

I'll chime in. I recently replaced my factory RFT's with MPSS as well. great tires and great move by the way.. But I did encounter a pothole on the freeway traveling at 65MPH on a Sunday a week ago. It was not noticeable until i made the lane change. Tried to slow down and go through, as I did not have any room to dodge left or right. The impact popped my tire immediately. I had to pull over and call for AAA to get a tow back to my home. I wouldn't go back to RFT's. for future "long" distance travel, I'll consider packing the Dynaplug kit but if space is available, i'll bring a full size spare (M-Brakes).
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 07:33 PM   #56
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32
Quote:
Can you run stock rims with non-rfts without issue?
Of course you can. I've done it for over 10 years now on 4 BMWs.

The wheels don't care what tires you use, they weren't specially made for RFTs.
Not quite true.

The wheels are indeed made for run flats. They have an additional hump or something which helps the run flat tire to stay on the wheel in the event of pressure loss.

However, these wheels can take normal tires too.

Fitting runflat onto a wheel not designed for it is not recommended due to the lack of this additional component meaning it would slip off the rim in the event of pressure loss.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 07:40 PM   #57
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EBII MPPK/BBK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezz View Post
PSS is a great tire, only shame is the treadwear (to be expected for such a sticky tire). I'm at about 20K and it will probably be time for a new set in 5k or so. they get pretty loud at this point as well.
I get 10k miles from the PSS rears on my Porsche (305/35R 19's). Michelin should send me a damn Christmas card every year. Lol
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 07:52 PM   #58
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daberlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezz View Post
I get 10k miles from the PSS rears on my Porsche (305/35R 19's). Michelin should send me a damn Christmas card every year. Lol
I had pss on my 135 vert and found them to wear the best (compared to original re050 and p zero, non runflat). It had done over 40k km and still going strong when I sold my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #59
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EBII MPPK/BBK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
I had pss on my 135 vert and found them to wear the best (compared to original re050 and p zero, non runflat). It had done over 40k km and still going strong when I sold my car.
Agree. I've got 20k km (12,000 mi) on the 335i and they are wearing well. For general everyday sunny weather road and occasional track fun, these tires are just the best balance of $ vs. performance.
Appreciate 2