F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Build week! :)
GetBMWParts

12-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Build week! :)

After what seems like actually quite a short wait compared to my previous cars, as I only ordered 3 weeks ago (sorry guys for those of you with longer waits ), it's my build week this week (49), and this morning the current production status is "Bodyshop Start", so it looks like they started on the car this morning.

Does anyone know when I should expect it to be fully finished and departed from the plant, considering they started on it this morning? And when after that would you expect it to be actually on the ship on its way? Apparently there's a Bremerhaven-Southampton ship leaving on the 5th and 11th December - will I likely catch either of those?

Definitely a painful wait - however long it is - but this time is the first I've actually known about the production process and that most of the wait is waiting for it to be started, and the shipping etc. It definitely helps that I know I can track it to see exactly what stage it's at

Last edited by MarkW83; 12-04-2012 at 05:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #2
pirulove
Major G33k
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport Estoril Blue

Hi Mark,

My build week was originally meant to be this week as well but had a phone call last Thursday to say its done! Dealer didn't commit to anything ofcourse but ideally they were going to try have the car in country this week..... Will get my weekly update on Thursday/Friday so will let you know if its been turned around that quick, gut tells me to not get my hopes up so worst case I won't be disappointed, best case ill be extremely excited haha
      12-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Piru, that's great news about your call being a week early! Let me know if it lands in the UK this week, I have a feeling that's a bit quick, but you never know! Fingers crossed...
      12-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
After what seems like actually quite a short wait compared to my previous cars, as I only ordered 3 weeks ago (sorry guys for those of you with longer waits ), it's my build week this week (49), and this morning the current production status is "Bodyshop Start", so it looks like they started on the car this morning.

Does anyone know when I should expect it to be fully finished and departed from the plant, considering they started on it this morning? And when after that would you expect it to be actually on the ship on its way? Apparently there's a Bremerhaven-Southampton ship leaving on the 5th and 11th December - will I likely catch either of those?

Definitely a painful wait - however long it is - but this time is the first I've actually known about the production process and that most of the wait is waiting for it to be started, and the shipping etc. It definitely helps that I know I can track it to see exactly what stage it's at
Once the build starts it's usually only a couple of days or so before it's rolling out as the finished car. After that the timescale can be open to a lot of differences. My car did the Cuxhaven to Southampton route which was a relatively quick crossing. Mine was released to carrier on the 13th August and arrived at the dealership on the 23rd.

As far as I know, once it's left the plant there is no way of tracking it until you get the call from your dealer to say it's in. It's a long wait but you're nearly there now
      12-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the info Realistically I'm thinking it won't make the boat tomorrow (5th) so will likely be on the boat on the 11th, which arrives in the UK on Friday 14th. 2-3 days to get to and leave Thorne, and a further 2-3 days to get to my dealer, so delivery to my dealer around Christmas Eve (hopefully a couple of days sooner so no staffing issues etc.) - do you think that sounds realistic?

Apparently you can track the car on the ship using the VIN, when it's actually been loaded onto the ship. This works for the guys in the US so I see why this wouldn't work for us, given it's a European shipping company?
      12-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Thanks for the info Realistically I'm thinking it won't make the boat tomorrow (5th) so will likely be on the boat on the 11th, which arrives in the UK on Friday 14th. 2-3 days to get to and leave Thorne, and a further 2-3 days to get to my dealer, so delivery to my dealer around Christmas Eve (hopefully a couple of days sooner so no staffing issues etc.) - do you think that sounds realistic?

Apparently you can track the car on the ship using the VIN, when it's actually been loaded onto the ship. This works for the guys in the US so I see why this wouldn't work for us, given it's a European shipping company?
It all sounds plausible enough. You may be pleasantly surprised and it takes a different route so manages to get on an earlier ship.

I think the trouble with tracking UK cars is that you don't know which port it's leaving or which ship it will be on. When I was trying to track mine it wrong footed me and was landed even before I thought it would be on the ship. All the tracking I did came to nothing! It kept me entertained though during those last couple of weeks of waiting
      12-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
It all sounds plausible enough. You may be pleasantly surprised and it takes a different route so manages to get on an earlier ship.

I think the trouble with tracking UK cars is that you don't know which port it's leaving or which ship it will be on. When I was trying to track mine it wrong footed me and was landed even before I thought it would be on the ship. All the tracking I did came to nothing! It kept me entertained though during those last couple of weeks of waiting
Ah, I thought they all left for Bremerhaven-Southampton, in which case there's only the 2 ships on 5th (tomorrow) and 11th; so maybe there are more? That would be good

At least it keeps us busy trying to track them, I can feel myself going a bit crazy though, this is the worst one yet for some reason, I don't know why! 4th BMW - 3rd new one - and the wait is definitely the worst !
      12-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

My second car BW was 48. Dealer ETA 10/12. I've arranged collection 22/12 as this is the only suitable date for me.
      12-04-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

Quote:

Mark thats sound very plausible, as long as it makes the 11th you should have it before Christmas.. after 3 months of waiting my car should now be on its way to Thorne, ETA at Dealer is 10/12/12.

Tracking it across the channel is a bit difficult but will definitely keep you busy..the last few weeks of waiting are the worst!!

However your wait has been a walk in the park compared to most of us!

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30FAN View Post
Mark thats sound very plausible, as long as it makes the 11th you should have it before Christmas.. after 3 months of waiting my car should now be on its way to Thorne, ETA at Dealer is 10/12/12.

Tracking it across the channel is a bit difficult but will definitely keep you busy..the last few weeks of waiting are the worst!!

However your wait has been a walk in the park compared to most of us!
Cheers, fingers crossed it makes the ship on the 11th then, I've read stories of cars waiting for a boat for only a day, but also often a week or more, so hopefully I'll have a bit of luck! Annoyingly the production status on the BMW UK number seems to be at least 24 hours behind real time, so it's difficult to get an accurate status on it. For all I know the car has now departed the plant and is on its way to the port, but the latest update BMW had at 5pm was 'Bodyshop Start', which would either have been yesterday morning or this morning at the latest, but would only have been in that status for a couple of hours or so, so it's definitely out of date.

I think I was just lucky when I ordered, to get production so quickly after ordering; I definitely don't envy you guys with the longer waits, don't know how you do it. I had to wait for 4 months for my first MINI when they'd just come out a few years ago though, so I know what it's like; whatever the period, it's still not easy!
      12-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

Quote:
Cheers, fingers crossed it makes the ship on the 11th then, I've read stories of cars waiting for a boat for only a day, but also often a week or more, so hopefully I'll have a bit of luck! Annoyingly the production status on the BMW UK number seems to be at least 24 hours behind real time, so it's difficult to get an accurate status on it. For all I know the car has now departed the plant and is on its way to the port, but the latest update BMW had at 5pm was 'Bodyshop Start', which would either have been yesterday morning or this morning at the latest, but would only have been in that status for a couple of hours or so, so it's definitely out of date.

I think I was just lucky when I ordered, to get production so quickly after ordering; I definitely don't envy you guys with the longer waits, don't know how you do it. I had to wait for 4 months for my first MINI when they'd just come out a few years ago though, so I know what it's like; whatever the period, it's still not easy!
Yup those updates can be anything up to 24 hours behind, when I was monitoring progress I would ring the Dealer in the morning and then BMW CS in the afternoon that way if the code changed I would know without coming across as a big kid! Good Luck!

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30FAN View Post
Yup those updates can be anything up to 24 hours behind, when I was monitoring progress I would ring the Dealer in the morning and then BMW CS in the afternoon that way if the code changed I would know without coming across as a big kid! Good Luck!
Well I'm phoning BMW CS a couple of times a day at the mo while it's in production; I usually get a different person so it's no problem. Dealer is a bit slack so I'd be waiting for their call/email for ages (if it ever came), so figured I'd be better just phoning BMW direct. Makes the wait just that little bit easier!
      12-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #13
pirulove
Major G33k
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well I'm phoning BMW CS a couple of times a day at the mo while it's in production; I usually get a different person so it's no problem. Dealer is a bit slack so I'd be waiting for their call/email for ages (if it ever came), so figured I'd be better just phoning BMW direct. Makes the wait just that little bit easier!
:O what information do you need to speak with BMW CS? I've been waiting on my dealer every week but CS with the stage my car is at sounds like I could 'pester' a little more real time updates lol

Also what number would you phone, I see there is 2 different ones on the site?
      12-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirulove View Post
:O what information do you need to speak with BMW CS? I've been waiting on my dealer every week but CS with the stage my car is at sounds like I could 'pester' a little more real time updates lol

Also what number would you phone, I see there is 2 different ones on the site?
Yep, you're better phoning CS rather than waiting for your dealer!

Phone number is 0800 325 600, you need either your order number from your dealer (on your order form) or the last 7 digits of the VIN...
      12-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #15
PF64
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

I was told last week that mine had left the factory and delivery would be week commencing the 10th december so will try for an update today? Its nearly 16 weeks since placing order.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 02:31 AM   #16
pirulove
Major G33k
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF64 View Post
I was told last week that mine had left the factory and delivery would be week commencing the 10th december so will try for an update today? Its nearly 16 weeks since placing order.
Fingers crossed for you mate
      12-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #17
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Called earlier this morning for a status update and it was 5200 Paintshop Start, as of yesterday. But then I've just phoned back to see if there were anymore updates (yes I know I should be doing some work ) and it's now changed to "5290 Date Change". As 5270 is Paintshop complete, presumably it's now been painted; but the delivery date they have down is still the same as it always has been (week 52), so it doesn't look like the date has changed? Very strange...
      12-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #18
pirulove
Major G33k
United Kingdom
Rep

I spoke to CS and they said I need to speak with my dealer :-/ hmmm?
      12-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #19
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

Did you have the order number of VIN number? They were fine this morning giving me an update but they need one of those two.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #20
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:

Cars that land in Southampton do NOT go to Thorne, they go straight to the dealership, have done since January.
      12-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirulove View Post
I spoke to CS and they said I need to speak with my dealer :-/ hmmm?
They have the same info as the dealer, it's just the lazy ones that say that. Tell them your salesperson is away on holiday or something so you've been asked to call them
      12-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
MarkW83
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Cars that land in Southampton do NOT go to Thorne, they go straight to the dealership, have done since January.
Ah, thanks John, didn't know that. And do all cars that come to the UK land in Southampton?