F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New Car Ahead of Winter: Good or BAD?
proTUNING Freaks

12-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

New Car Ahead of Winter: Good or BAD?

With all the forum member new cars going on the road ahead of the worst of winter weather, how do you guys feel about the timing?

I did it once, but never again, as the winter takes its toll and ages the look of the car so fast. Salt, grit and winter 'sweating' just accelerates the whole rust process, tarnishes all the underside parts, corrodes the brake parts.

I'd choose spring myself for a brand new car, to at least have it all looking good for at least a season or two. Not start with accelerated winter 'wear'.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Estoril1984
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport

It's certainly not ideal, I'm doing all I can to keep winter at bay by having the car totally detailed today. Sealing and protecting every element of the car, inside and out with G-Technic products. Chaps been on the car since 8am this morning and says he should be done by, wait for it..............7-8pm this evening. All for the grand sum of £175.00
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

It's not ideal I agree but needs must and I wouldn't want to wait any longer anyway!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
rich100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport

On the subject of corosion, have you guys seen the posts on the main board about spots of rust being found under the seats of the F30? Seems to have affected quite a few people in different locations. I think the official response is that it does not affect the integrity of the seats but still a bit of a concern on a new car.

Have any of you with F30s encountered this?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Mine has been polish protected and is jet washed and "SNOW FOAMED" at least twice per week no problems at all.
      12-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

Mine's due February so hopefully not too bad and anyway it gives me a perfect excuse to disappear for a day or two and play with my new toy

And bringing up that hardy perennial of winter road conditions I did imagine I'd be in something with FWD (ie a Mini) until my F30 comes. Turns out I'm in an E91 again from Monday. And I've just sold my winters because they don't fit the F30!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Mine has been polish protected and is jet washed and "SNOW FOAMED" at least twice per week no problems at all.
What about underneath, how do you prevent it sitting in the damp and corroding?

Problem up here like today, it is just above freezing and everything is hanging in moisture, it can be like it for days, nothing stops the brake discs just eating themselves away. Just overnight they will go brown and the rust sets in, in no time.

Just like above within a few months from new, and that included the summer.

This corrosion happened with hosing out underneath, quite depressing to see how quickly it occurs. That was at about five years.

Even the 535i looked pretty much like new around the suspension when I got it a couple of months ago, but was already degrading, when I put the winter wheels on a couple of weeks ago. Dread to see what it will be like next spring.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I think most on here are just car tarts Pete. So long as it's shiny, to hell with what you can't see
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
What about underneath, how do you prevent it sitting in the damp and corroding?

Problem up here like today, it is just above freezing and everything is hanging in moisture, it can be like it for days, nothing stops the brake discs just eating themselves away. Just overnight they will go brown and the rust sets in, in no time.

Just like above within a few months from new, and that included the summer.

This corrosion happened with hosing out underneath, quite depressing to see how quickly it occurs. That was at about five years.

Even the 535i looked pretty much like new around the suspension when I got it a couple of months ago, but was already degrading, when I put the winter wheels on a couple of weeks ago. Dread to see what it will be like next spring.

HighlandPete
I dry mine off and garage it, I can blow it dry if need be, I have a blower, but rarely need it, we have another car for town/local driving and that takes the crap weather mines tucked up
      12-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich100 View Post
On the subject of corosion, have you guys seen the posts on the main board about spots of rust being found under the seats of the F30? Seems to have affected quite a few people in different locations. I think the official response is that it does not affect the integrity of the seats but still a bit of a concern on a new car.

Have any of you with F30s encountered this?
This is affecting the f20s as well. Seems a supplier has been instructed to provide the seat bases this way and they are rusting badly.

I need to go and check mine
      12-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Pete, I am not sure what you are saying here. If you we all keep our cars for at least 1 year, the car is going to go through a winer and get this type of wear....

Assume those pics are from your e91, as the brakes hubs were shocking for corrosion. I noticed on the f20 (and assume its the same for all Fs) they seem to be made for a superior alloy.
      12-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I dry mine off and garage it, I can blow it dry if need be, I have a blower, but rarely need it, we have another car for town/local driving and that takes the crap weather mines tucked up
That is a luxury many don't have. I'd love a heated garage, but it is just not practical.

On a point of garaging, that is not the answer up here, as in the average garage a car will go in wet and sweat even more. Some will use car ports as the air movement helps dry a car, but shutting a car in justs helps them rot away more quickly.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Pete, I am not sure what you are saying here. If you we all keep our cars for at least 1 year, the car is going to go through a winer and get this type of wear....

Assume those pics are from your e91, as the brakes hubs were shocking for corrosion. I noticed on the f20 (and assume its the same for all Fs) they seem to be made for a superior alloy.
It just feels so wrong and depresses me to see the corrosion within weeks of having a new car. Hence why the last two new cars were bought for spring delivery, at least you get about a year before it all looks sad.

I had one new VW car in December and within weeks the brakes were growling, and by 12k miles (about 8-months) it needed new brake discs all round, as they were so corroded and brakes were erratic in performance.

Even with the F11, I know I'll be giving the discs and suspension parts attention in the spring and cleaning them up.

It isn't just BMW, but the soft iron disc material on the BMWs certainly pits very quickly, just a couple of days of wet and they start to tarnish and pit, even with use.

Yes, the E91 suspension parts went down hill very quickly, even waxoyl didn't seen to slow it very much. Probably would need doing every autumn.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

BAD, VERY, VERY BAD.
      12-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #15
pops_f30
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d MSport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril1984
It's certainly not ideal, I'm doing all I can to keep winter at bay by having the car totally detailed today. Sealing and protecting every element of the car, inside and out with G-Technic products. Chaps been on the car since 8am this morning and says he should be done by, wait for it..............7-8pm this evening. All for the grand sum of 175.00
Where are you getting that done, sounds like a great price! Might get it done as well
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
matx1982
M Performance
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 + F90 M5 + G80 M3

Garage List
2021 X5  [0.00]
2021 M5 Competition  [9.17]
2022 M4 CSL  [10.00]
2022 M3 Xdrive Comp ...  [10.00]
Wouldn't worry about it if you're not keeping it till it breaks. Naff time of year is one of the best times to be getting the deals, I was a little early ordering in Sep.

And snow foaming makes washing your car fun... well for a few minutes anyway!

Instagram - @matfireworks
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #17
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

Quote:
ditto!!

But I cant believe the corrosion with BMW's exposed parts...my Porsche which was 12 years old had no corrosion what so ever.. but I did keep it mint and normally fair weather use..

I must say I have noticed 2012 BMW's with corrosion around the brake disks being a common occurrence ..very noticeable on the 5 Series..

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #18
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

It seems outside of the car is the least of it problems. Took this tonight

12-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
Estoril1984
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: F31 320d MSport

Found a guy based in Leighton Bromswold who lives and breaths detailing. He started at 8am and finished at 10:30pm. He's done a stellar job. Let me know if you would like his number pops
      12-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #20
pops_f30
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d MSport EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril1984 View Post
Found a guy based in Leighton Bromswold who lives and breaths detailing. He started at 8am and finished at 10:30pm. He's done a stellar job. Let me know if you would like his number pops
Bit far from me unfortunately otherwise I would have taken his number, are you happy with the results?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
It just feels so wrong and depresses me to see the corrosion within weeks of having a new car. Hence why the last two new cars were bought for spring delivery, at least you get about a year before it all looks sad.

I had one new VW car in December and within weeks the brakes were growling, and by 12k miles (about 8-months) it needed new brake discs all round, as they were so corroded and brakes were erratic in performance.

Even with the F11, I know I'll be giving the discs and suspension parts attention in the spring and cleaning them up.

It isn't just BMW, but the soft iron disc material on the BMWs certainly pits very quickly, just a couple of days of wet and they start to tarnish and pit, even with use.

Yes, the E91 suspension parts went down hill very quickly, even waxoyl didn't seen to slow it very much. Probably would need doing every autumn.

HighlandPete
Pete we all do not live in Scotland were frankly weather is bad "year round" with rain ETC, I would do as you do if my area was say North Wales or scotland, BUT I have never had any problems with rust on any of my BMW's. ever.
I still have to drive them in crap as I travel nationwide visiting places, but the Snow Foam and jet washing is the answer IMO.
If I lived up a dirt track or on a farm I would have a 4*4 and not worry to much about cleaning it.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 04:38 PM   #22
F30FAN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -

You think you got problems...

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...ight=corrosion

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
Appreciate 0