F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > So.. a psycho kicked my door in today.
Extreme Powerhouse

04-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #23
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

The POLICE let him get away with kicking your door in like that? Really???

I find it hard to believe he didn't get arrested. What did he do.... follow you until you stopped?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #24
435MSport6Speed
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport 6 Speed

He said campus police. Does anyone know what authority, if any, campus police have? If they made a record of the incident I would get it and contact your insurance asap.

Good luck with this. Glad you took the high road. Let us know how you make out.
      04-27-2016, 10:42 AM   #25
AMDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428iX Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post
Down round these here wherebouts, guy would have got shot.

Thank God for the NRA and stand your ground laws here in the South.

No way I watch some guy do that to my car without passing him along a couple of JHPs.

Maybe the OP should drive normally before the next kick he gets is up his butt. At least fight the guy dude.
I'm assuming you're kidding... otherwise this is pretty stupid advice. No need to put yourself physlcally at risk over a dent in your car door... especially where other more reasonable options exist. The proper thing would be to get his tag number and file a police report. Report the damage to the insurance company and let the law and insurance deal with it. Not worth the risk otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 10:45 AM   #26
AMDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428iX Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post
He said campus police. Does anyone know what authority, if any, campus police have? If they made a record of the incident I would get it and contact your insurance asap.

It varies, some are surrogate/ancillary police officers. Others are "safety monitors"... to use the phrase from that LifeLock commercial... they only 'monitor' and let you know if there's a safety issue.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #27
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteygasp View Post
What's up guys. Had a rough morning today when a guy decided to threaten to kill me/punch me in my "mf'ing" face and proceeded to kick my drivers side door in to the tune of $1700 in damage (quoted today by reputable body shop) after he claimed I was driving aggressively as I used the left lane in a two lane road after he was taking up 2 lanes with his Toyota Tacoma. This happened in Baltimore City so you can only imagine how helpful the cops were, they weren't at all and tried to have me incriminate myself by saying I was driving that way and asked me to say I would go through my insurance on record so he wouldn't "break his bank" Here's the damage, got quoted $1700 for a near perfect finish by SDR in Hunt Valley; was told they could try PDR but the metal looked to be very stretched: What do u guys think.
I find it hard to believe that someone would get out of their car and start kicking someone else's car because they passed him in the left lane. Usually, both parties take actions to escalate the situation until it implodes into something like this.

OP, what are you leaving out?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #28
kenya971
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

i also suspect there is more to the story than we've been told...but there's zero excuse for the property damage and threat of physical harm. Especially when both parties had arrived at the destination safely.

I would be interested in hearing from the OP on what his plans were? Paying for it himself, rather than pursuing damages from the other driver, would seem to me a sort of admission that he was in the wrong somehow (beyond pissing someone off).
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #29
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post

On bigger campuses like a state flagship U, they might be actual cops with full police powers. In other cases they might just be "security" with no legal power, or you might have an in-between situation where they have some sort of auxillary status.

At the private U that I attended the campus PD had a mix of actual cops plus security guards. A sergeant on the campus PD taught a martial arts PE class that I attended for a few years - that guy was a tough mofo. But he would absolutely have supported the OP's non-violent response to the situation.

Anyway I'd make sure a police report was filed and would probably want to follow up with the DA to see if they're pressing charges.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 02:59 PM   #30
peteygasp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Order: 2017 BMW X4 M40i

The police on my campus are "Campus Police" they have a tight connection with Baltimore City but do not carry guns. They were able to contact Baltimore City, but Baltimore City was too caught up with the young college student driving a BMW and felt sympathy for the Toyota Tacoma driver who had "just witnessed a reckless driving accident" (made it sound almost like I deserved it and even attempted to have me incriminate myself by saying I was driving aggressively).

I did not leave anything out in the original post. Full story again is, coming up from a one-lane road that turns into a two-lane (but tight) road, the Tacoma driver decided to take up half of each lane while driving to the light ahead. I would have liked to pass him but did not and instead beeped my horn (probably for 2 full seconds) until he moved over to the right lane. Once in the left lane and able to pass, I was first at the light where he got stuck behind two cars who followed and passed him as well, in addition to two vehicles traveling towards the light that were in the right lane. He was diagonally behind me about 2 cars back screaming and cursing while people on the corner called him insane (as we were stopped at the light).Usually when you know you have made a driving mistake, you are aware and try to avoid confrontation (at least I am), I did not even realize he was screaming at me until I arrived at my campus parking lot (half mile up the same road) turned in and couldn't move further because the parking gate was down. Within 5 seconds I noticed the guy follow me in, jump out of his car, threaten me, damage my vehicle, etc... This is Baltimore City. I'm sure many of you saw the news last year - Place is nuts. Ive had my X5 keyed (NY plates) after people saw me wiping it down with a duster outside of a shopping mall. There are crazy people out here. I told my uncle, who is a NYPD about the incident and he said he was dumbfounded the guy was not arrested after the incident. There are numerous witnesses and a huge case here, I however would like to get it paid for out of his pocket before going to court to hopefully get this sorted out. Since he has absolutely no case and is 100% in the wrong hopefully he cooperates and is able to pay for it.

***To answer everyones questions about fighting the guy, it just wasn't possible. I couldn't have even opened my door enough to get out of the car as the guy was standing at my window between myself and the parking lot attendant booth (which was occupied by the attendant who witnessed the entire thing)...In addition, I really don't think it would have helped the situation in anyway besides giving me some short-lived satisfaction before I returned to see the damage this guy did to my 8 month old car with not a mark on it.
On Order: 2017 X4 M40i CB/SB

Last edited by peteygasp; 04-28-2016 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: add'l info
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #31
subrven1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328 i xDrive M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteygasp View Post
The police on my campus are "Campus Police" they have a tight connection with Baltimore City but do not carry guns. They were able to contact Baltimore City, but Baltimore City was too caught up with the young college student driving a BMW and felt sympathy for the Toyota Tacoma driver who had "just witnessed a reckless driving accident" (made it sound almost like I deserved it and even attempted to have me incriminate myself by saying I was driving aggressively).

I did not leave anything out in the original post. Full story again is, coming up from a one-lane road that turns into a two-lane (but tight) road, the Tacoma driver decided to take up half of each lane while driving to the light ahead. I would have liked to pass him but did not and instead beeped my horn (probably for 2 full seconds) until he moved over to the right lane. Once in the left lane and able to pass, I was first at the light where he got stuck behind two cars who followed and passed him as well, in addition to two vehicles traveling towards the light that were in the right lane. He was diagonally behind me about 2 cars back screaming and cursing while people on the corner called him insane (as we were stopped at the light).Usually when you know I have made a driving mistake, you are aware and try to avoid confrontation (at least I am), I did not even realize he was screaming at me until I arrived at my campus parking lot (half mile up the same road) turned it and couldn't move because the parking gate was down. Within 5 seconds I noticed the guy follow me in, jump out of his car, threaten me, damage my vehicle, etc... This is Baltimore City. I'm sure many of you saw the news last year - Place is nuts. Ive had my X5 keyed (NY plates) after people saw me wiping it down with a duster outside of a shopping mall. There are crazy people out here. I told my uncle, who is a NYPD about the incident and he said he was dumbfounded the guy was not arrested after the incident. There are numerous witnesses and a huge case here, I however would like to get it paid for out of his pocket before going to court to hopefully get this sorted out. Since he has absolutely no case and is 100% in the wrong hopefully he cooperates and is able to pay for it.

***To answer everyones questions about fighting the guy, it just wasn't possible. I couldn't have even opened my door enough to get out of the car as the guy was standing at my window between myself and the parking lot attendant booth (which was occupied by the attendant who witnessed the entire thing)...In addition, I really don't think it would have helped the situation in anyway besides giving me some short-lived satisfaction before I returned to see the damage this guy did to my 8 month old car with not a mark on it.
Unbelievable, This evening I was returning home and overtook a lady on the right lane (She was on the left lane going slow). As soon as i did this, She sped up passed me and showed me the finger.

I could not believe my eyes, followed her to the light, got next to her and basically just kep staring at her, at which point more fingers and more F bombs....all because i tried to pass her on the right side of a 4 lane road.
      04-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #32
WHL102
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 GTI S, DSG, 4-Door

OP, make sure you take the information of all witnesses in case you need to follow up to get a statement.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #33
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Should have told the cops you're gay so he got charged with a hate crime.
      04-28-2016, 10:03 AM   #34
jd_perspective
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i M-Sport

ugh that sucks. some ass hole slammed his door into mine the other day too. I'm waiting on the PDR guy to come take a look. First quote via pictures was $300 very similar damage. fucking assholes.

2019 440i Coupe M-Sport - Retired
2018 330i Sedan M-Sport - Retired
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #35
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

I would do PDR for sure. Try to avoid repaint at all costs unless you are getting rid of it soon. They can work wonders and the original paint stays intact.
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #36
pjkbrit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i 6MT ZHP

If the OP info is all present and correct it's criminal damage and menacing....the cops did not do their job...this guy should have been arrested on the spot and charged. Instead we now have some crazy jerk running around waiting to go off on someone else. I carry a dashcam in my car....seen too much crazy shite in this country NOT to carry one.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #37
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Was going to say, I would have been surprised if this happened on the North Shore of LI, lol.

It's crazy people like this that make me wish CCW laws were better in NY, and really, America.