F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > My BSM '12 328i Sport Line Journal
Extreme Powerhouse

08-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
My BSM '12 328i Sport Line Journal

I figure it's about time I put up a thread to keep track of Heidi, my first brand-new car purchased (financed) myself from a dealer.

I registered on Bimmerpost 6 years ago this month, coming from a B5 S4 but always loving BMWs and wanting to lurk and learn. I drove a VW GTI later in college, then got into an E30 which I had always wanted to do.

My E30 is a very clean 2-owner example but I couldn't leave well-enough alone, plus it's a 4-door 318i so not exactly a collector model. So I swapped an S50 ('95 M3 3.0L) motor and its transmission, going on to have it completely rebuilt and touching every aspect of the powertrain, drivetrain, suspension, interior, etc. to the point where now I'm satisfied. It is daily-driveable but I never put air conditioning back in, and with coilovers and an aesthetically-proper ride height (NOT slammed, but pretty low) the ride is a little harsh for every day. Plus I would not want to drive in the winter. Thus, I needed a 2nd car.

I picked up a mk4 Jetta for a little over 2 grand to get me through winter at my work assignments in central Mass and later Cleveland. Now I'm a little more permanently settled in NEPA but drive to my hometown outside Philly 2-3 times each month for weekends. I split this duty between the DD and the E30. Financially I got into a position to take on a monthly car payment, so I started looking for a black 2011 335i 4-door 6MT with heated seats in late summer 2013.

This car is a struggle to find, and after 6+ months I was still in the Jetta approaching 250k miles. My budget had me at the bottom of the price range which didn't make it easy. Then one day I was on BMWusa.com used car search (expanding to stealerships at that point) and accidentally left the upper year range at 2013. I saw that some E90s and F30s were in the same ballpark and remembered "hey, BMW put a 4-cyl turbo in the new 328i, I could get down with that."

I ran a search for every black sedan 3-series manual, and to my shock there was this "new" 2012 6MT Sport line with Everest Gray interior, premium, DHP/variable steering, summer tires, cold weather, premium sound, parking package, and enhanced BT/USB. It showed 530 miles and priced just a couple thousand above the 40k-50k-mile 2011s I was looking at. On top of that, it was at one of my local dealers and I knew one of the CAs through a close friend (my dad also leased a car from him at one point).

I thought it was a mistake or too good to be true; there were no photos. I called the guy I know, he said they had just gotten it in from the BMW auction and it was a corporate car, but might have been promised already. Maybe BS, idk, but it certainly is a relatively rare find. Lack of HIDs was a bummer, not to mention a drilled bumper a-la New Jersey, but I told him to let me know when he had more info and continued discussions with the 335i folks I was in talks with.

About 10 days later he called me, apologizing and saying with the snow (big storm had hit) they were playing catch-up hence the delay. I was going home that weekend and said I'd like to see the car, so I went and checked it out.

iPhone 5 pics from that day:

The interior shots are through the glass but turned out well enough. The gray leather made me nervous as far as my OCD and keeping it clean, but I figured if anyone can keep it clean it's me. With the black headliner, carpet, and 2-tone doors I really like the look of it. The aluminum trim is something I required or figured I would change to in an E90 that didn't have it, so that was a plus. The coral accent strip is nice and doesn't show fingerprints, and with the steering wheel stitching it really grew on me as a lovely Sport line highlight.

I love the wheels, the options were right, so I was quickly falling for the car. I didn't really know much about the car otherwise, but on the test drive the modes impressed me along with the quick steering and the standard iDrive. The MPG vs. the N55 isn't hugely better, but for my purpose with the E30 as my toy it's a plus. Both are amazing, it's nuts that the N20 is returning better than my GTI. Rear heated seats, premium sound, and the 5 exterior cameras are just icing on the cake. To me, it was hardly believable that I could possibly get into a brand new F30 after my struggles looking at used and out-of-warranty 335s. What a treat. So, I gave my credit card info for a deposit and inquired with my credit union. Got 1.9% APR (since it was a "new" car, per their definition) and I was decided. My girlfriend was the only one who knew I was even seriously shopping all along, so I had good fun surprising my friends and my parents.

The huge discount comes as a result of this car being a "trainer" - it sat at Woodcliffe Lake (or technical HQ nearby perhaps) and regional technicians went to get a close look at the new powertrain, simulate faults, etc. It can't be BMW CPO'd but that is fine by me, I can turn a wrench and any future owner still has the option of aftermarket extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
They came down a little from their listed price, changed the oil (had been about 18 months despite the 530 miles) and gave me a voucher for 1 additional oil change since I'm losing out on a year of BMW coverage. I took delivery 2/15/14.

First thing I did was replace the US plate bracket with a German plate. I got it 1 digit advanced from the plate I got from ebay.de for my E30.

Sadly, at a track event in the E30 I met a fellow from Germany who asked if I was from Berlin. Turns out the first letter indicates the city of registration. I will at some point replace my plates with M tags for Munich to honor BMW's home properly.

The other thing I did right away was de-badge, and install BMW's splash guards. Given that I do a lot of highway driving, I like to keep the spray down and also keep the car cleaner in the event of rain. Call me crazy but I actually quite like the look.

Last edited by S4NoMore; 08-06-2014 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
CHCCubs
Colonel
Latvia
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport

Great looking car, nice to see another F30 with the everest grey interior, there doesn't seem to be too many out there.

2013 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line
Mineral Grey on Everest Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

sweet color combo

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

looks great! any mods planned for it?
      08-04-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCCubs View Post
Great looking car, nice to see another F30 with the everest grey interior, there doesn't seem to be too many out there.
Thanks! Yea it's not very common, and I remember I had trouble getting a visual before I went to see it in person. My dad had "Grey Dakota" in his E90 and I liked it, but the Sport package cars still had a tan headliner and alot more grey on the doors etc. The Everest is a little lighter... more crisp? And with all the black I really like how it looks, especially in contrast to a black exterior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
sweet color combo
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post
looks great! any mods planned for it?
Thank you. At this point nothing too crazy. I'm contemplating something for the exhaust and browsing videos occasionally, but I really love how quiet it is. When I get in my E30 I get a very raw experience, it makes quite a noise. I spent money getting it quieter in fact, but it's still a beast. When I get in the F30 I love the smoothness and its luxury side. It's relaxing when I am just cruising around normally, but also perfectly balanced and quick in Sport mode.

I also keep an eye to the classifieds for JB4, but I'll likely take a year or so to enjoy the stock power delivery. For me this car is my escape from the mod bug
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
In early April I made my appointment for window tinting on a Saturday morning and drove down to the same place I've been going for almost 10 years, with my cars as well as those of family and friends - Car Pretty Auto Salon in northeast Philly. They have a film plotter (though this is only a template, there's always cutting technique to fit exactly) and use quality products, and unlike any other place I've found I can sit in the small waiting area, flip through magazines and watch them handle my car. It usually takes about 2 hours of work. Lifetime warranty is a given but the price is very reasonable at around $200.

I did 20% when I was a teenager as a compromise from 15%. With the E30 I stepped to 30% wanting to keep it classy but still gain a little privacy and a lot of sun protection. I contemplated 35% which is offered, but decided to stick with 30 since the seats are a light color. I actually don't have any photos from this point, but I'll get photos up soon..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #8
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
In late May I went to Las Vegas and saw this F30 taxi:

Then I went up to Montreal for the Formula 1 Canadian GP. Great race, my first race weekend, and a great city

I believe I can control and minimize road rash for 100-mile highway trips, by simply not tailgating and rushing but rather making lane changes at the right time. I've found that it's totally doable, and without going 55 mph.

The journey to Montreal is almost 1,000 miles round trip, though, so I opted to tape the car up with how new it was. Plus getting all those bugs off is a pain. Obligatory (blurry) pic from the night before:

Somewhere on I-87 north of Albany:

Getting to the city:

^side comment: I like to drive on the highway with the screen off, and I really appreciate how easy it is to turn it off. I find it gives me better focus on the road, I'm weird like that.

On the return trip:

Awesome weekend, can't wait for next year
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

The F30 taxi is crazy! Wouldn't think a taxi service would use such a car, haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
After the Montreal trip I finally got around to doing a 1-step paint correction. I detailed cars at my local BMW dealer in my latter college years, so I picked up a little knowledge and technique as well as plenty of what not to do. I was employed by a nearby detail shop who was subcontracted to run their basement 5-bay detail center. I loved the work, and bought supplies after becoming a big fan of Detailers Domain (I still enjoy reading their writeups) so that I could do it on the side, although it's been awhile since I've had the time to do it for anyone besides myself.

Most of the stuff I already had, but my heavy-cut compound was nearly empty and Menzerna has come out with a new formula called FG400 which is great and versatile.

Here's the bulk of my tools in the trunk of my E30:

I also waited until this point to install gloss black M performance grills I bought awhile back when they came up in the classifieds. They were mint, but one tab broke in transit. I still have some "Zap-a-Gap" glue from doing upholstery work and replacing the tweeters in my E30, and boy does this stuff work. So I figure it's my best bet for the tab..

You can see the bond line where it cracked:

This worked as far as holding together when I popped them into place, so I'm pleased. Saved about 50% off the price of new grills.

I taped up the window trim and the plastic portion of the mirror housings and went to work. I took more "before" shots but was dead tired at the end of the 4-6 hour session so I may go back and put more "after" pics into this post.

The car wasn't extremely bad, but definitely handled by a few lot attendants and/or automatic washes between corporate, the auction and my dealership. To illustrate, here's what the mirror looked like before:

and after:

The trunk showed the worst swirls, but everything cleaned up very well. I topped it with Menzerna PowerLock because I had it, waited 36 hours then washed and topped with Adam's Buttery wax. I've since waxed the car at every wash, I believe 3 layers at this point. Now I'll phase down to once every other - I can do it in a matter of 15 minutes and it goes a long way to keeping the black paint looking perfect after rain etc.

I also took this time to do something about the orange bumper reflectors. Painted or tinted pieces are something like $40-50, I think that's a bit nuts. Plus the install isn't super straightforward, necessitating access from behind and dealing with adhesive. I'm a big fan of vinyl because it's cheap, easy to work with, and very temporary.

A few dollars worth of tint film from eBay, 2 layers because it was pretty light, and this is the result:

It's also nice to retain the safety aspect of having the reflector there.

Here's the finished front end:

And a better angle that I liked when, as usual, I was walking away backwards:

This gives a good idea of the tinted marker and the windows at 30%.

A couple more, keep in mind these are around dusk. I also wrapped the edge of the euro plate with black vinyl, because the white edge coming through the frame was bugging me (see above):

Oh and a little touch, finally framed the license plate:

Actually makes a nice difference. At some point my dad will sell a car that he drives which is registered in my name with a PA DARE tag, and the plate will go to Heidi (black plate, white lettering for those unaware).
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
I want to paint the calipers soon, but I'm undecided on the color. I've had good success with G2's kit in the past.

With my base brake calipers I think I've ruled out red and blue, and am thinking either black or silver...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #12
bahasad
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30, E90

I did black calipers on my E90 and it looked great.

My F30 sport has silver calipers though with BMW written on it. Does yours?
      08-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad
I did black calipers on my E90 and it looked great.

My F30 sport has silver calipers though with BMW written on it. Does yours?
Mine are just silver, without any sticker. I am leaning towards black, there may be too many shades of gray if I do silver calipers against the machined wheels. Maybe I can look at decal options.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:47 AM   #14
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
I got around to painting the calipers over the weekend, went with the black G2 kit so as not to be a poser with my standard brakes.

Getting this car onto jack stands was a little nerve-wracking, and I knew it wasn't going to be easy. The underside is ridiculously covered up for aero effect, there is simply nowhere to go for a lift point aside from the plastic boxes.

I didn't want to run out and buy 2 more jack stands so I did the front then the rear, mixing half the G2 kit at a time. I previously ordered a couple of delrin jack point adapters off eBay that worked great, for a fraction of the cost of the (aluminum?) ECS/Burger alternatives. I used those with my floor jack to raise the rear point to where the front point was high enough for my floor jack, into which the plastic square fit nicely lengthwise. I sandwiched a piece of cardboard for good measure. It held up great but is a little scary still, considering it's plastic.

Here's what the front passenger looked like initially, the driver's side was slightly better. I popped off the rattle clips already. Note that the car has 8,000 miles on it at this point:

Not bad but definitely needed to be gone over with a wire brush. Here's the after:

The G2 kit is applied with a brush, so minimal masking is required. I taped off the rotor near the caliper and just used a steady hand elsewhere. Here's the finished caliper:

At this point I decided I should prevent further corrosion of the rotor hats because they already showed some rust, so I went to town masking and sprayed them with plasti-dip that I had lying around:

The inside of the hub was starting to look nasty so I thought I'd nip that in the bud too, if I can. I smeared the area with anti-seize and rubbed a small amount on the face of the hub and the rotor retaining screw:

I took this opportunity to clean the backside of the wheels and apply WheelWax, no photos of that.

The next day I moved to the rears. Here's a before shot, the inside of the hub and the axle nut area were pretty bad:

Pretty shocking for such a young car. I'll finish posting the rest later once I put the car back on the ground.

Last edited by S4NoMore; 09-08-2014 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 12:48 PM   #15
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
I wasn't as good about getting photos of the rear brakes, I will later on.

I finally went over the car to clean off the cosmoline (or whatever they use these days) that seeped from various sheetmetal. I used to geek out doing this on cars at the dealership (I was always much more thorough than others) because it picks up dirt over time and looks nasty in general.

Some examples before and then after a wipedown with a decent solvent:

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Nice!!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #17
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
I changed the oil myself at about 8500 miles, not wanting to go too far towards 10k or beyond but at the same time thinking 5k is silly these days on a modern engine with modern synthetic oil. I figure this splits the factory interval nicely so the dealer can handle the next one 6 months from now.

I ordered the filter tool from Bavarian Autosport, the quality is decent for $20 and it fit and worked like a charm.

I bought the filter and 6 quarts of the specified 5w-30 re-branded Castrol from the dealership, unfortunately I had to go back to swap the filter. I believe the reason is that my car is on the cusp of the April 2012 change to an aluminum oil filter housing, or perhaps there is some option or build spec that dictates this. In any case if you have an Al housing the filter should not appear to have a rubber skirt on it, that one simply didn't fit.

I like the drain pointing straight down, though it's guaranteed to get at least a little messy. I captured some of the oil with a Blackstone kit just out of curiosity, still waiting on results. Not sure if I want to spend the extra $10 to determine if I can push the 8k interval.

After adding 5 quarts I fired her up and moved off the ramps, then drove to recycle the used oil and check the E-dipstick. I was expecting to need half a quart but it showed at max, and repeated after 400 miles. I'm just carrying that extra quart in the trunk now

All said and done it's very easy and I enjoy working on such a clean and new motor
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #18
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
This is a nice thread!
      10-27-2014, 01:52 AM   #19
cracing
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

nice write up, thank you for sharing

Current: 2015 F36 435 Xi GC ///M-Sport
Retired: 2005 ACURA TSX A-SPEC
Retired: 2003 ACURA RSX
Retired: 2002 HONDA CIVIC 4 DR
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #20
paul @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M4

looking good!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2014, 07:15 AM   #21
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
I got the used oil analysis back from Blackstone and the results are just where they should be, so I'm happy with that. No water or antifreeze and virtually no fuel, viscosity where it should be, and elements on par. This is also mainly a baseline for picking up any oddities as the motor ages.

The comments from Blackstone suggest that the oil could go longer than the 8000 miles I used it, for anyone out there wondering. I don't think I'll need to push that yet, given the free dealer change in about 6 months from now.

Edit: Blackstone had entered the wrong engine (old M52 6-cyl) and amended the report to reflect the N20 averages.

Last edited by S4NoMore; 11-03-2014 at 08:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #22
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Heidi got her winter boots on this week thanks to Tirerack.

I went for the Rial X10 in black, 17" x 7.5" ET32 with Pirelli Sottozero 3 225/50/17s. With RWD I'm not going to be a hero out there in fresh powder, so I went for the more dry/wet-road oriented tire rather than the usual Blizzak which does marginally better in the snow.

Pardon the terrible photos. The lighting makes it look even worse, I'll have to update with some daytime shots.

Last edited by S4NoMore; 04-28-2015 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0