F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > About To Buy - Any Price Advice?
Studio RSR

08-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Respm
Rep
Drives: VW

About To Buy - Any Price Advice?

Hello,

I want to buy an F30, 320d Auto, Luxury Model with a some extras. The list price is coming out about 36k. How can I be sure that I am getting the best possible deal? No Part-ex, and I will buy it outright. What is the best % discount that I can get? Any advice will be welcome. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xD

My Sytner dealer said they had 14% in a 330D M Sport when they were trying to match my lease pricing. So that's the kind of margins you're working with
      08-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respm View Post
Hello,

I want to buy an F30, 320d Auto, Luxury Model with a some extras. The list price is coming out about 36k. How can I be sure that I am getting the best possible deal? No Part-ex, and I will buy it outright. What is the best % discount that I can get? Any advice will be welcome. Thanks.
When I was looking, I spoke to Martin at Sytner in Newport and from the figures he gave me I think there was a 9% discount. I'm sure this could be worked on a bit more. It certainly pays to get a few quotes from a few different dealership groups. Then just play them off against each other to see which one gives you the best deal for you.

Bristol worked out with the best deal for me so that's where I took my business. I think they even had a 320d Luxury Auto there as their test drive car.
      08-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Respm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
When I was looking, I spoke to Martin at Sytner in Newport and from the figures he gave me I think there was a 9% discount. I'm sure this could be worked on a bit more. It certainly pays to get a few quotes from a few different dealership groups. Then just play them off against each other to see which one gives you the best deal for you.

Bristol worked out with the best deal for me so that's where I took my business. I think they even had a 320d Luxury Auto there as their test drive car.
I have also been to Sytner in Newport and Bristol. I think I got to about 7% discount with them.
Bristol offer a better deal. Is there any downside, as far as servicing or fixing small problems, to going to Bristol? I intend to keep this for several years.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
rjberry
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Ruby Red II

Quote:
I have also been to Sytner in Newport and Bristol. I think I got to about 7% discount with them.
Bristol offer a better deal. Is there any downside, as far as servicing or fixing small problems, to going to Bristol? I intend to keep this for several years.
As far as I know there shouldn't be any problems. I would think if Newport is closer then you could just as easily take it there if there were any problems or for servicing.

I live in Chepstow so for me the two are about the same distance away. I work in Bristol though so it happens to work out better for me to have gone with Bristol.

If you take out the extended service option I think it just shows up on the system so any dealership should have access to it.
      08-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
mgarvey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Renault Megane

I got about 7% when you take into account the waived finance charges on my car, free servicing and discount on the sticker price. That was on a 318d Sport.

Previous: F30 318d Sport, R56 MINI Dooper 2010, E93 325i M-Sport auto 2007, E91 320d SE 2005, E46 318Ci Coupe 2002
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

I got 11.5% this weekend from Cooper Reading with service pack, sure there was more to b had. Ordered 320 xdrive auto, my z4mc was from there too so had a bit of a 'relationhip' but another dealer offered me 8% without any prompting.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

I emailed the dealer where I got mine from on a new 330d M Sport. Told him the spec and asked for his best price and he just emailed back the list price with no discount.

So I've emailed him back pointing out the discount I got on my current car asking him to try again. Should hear something tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
I emailed the dealer where I got mine from on a new 330d M Sport. Told him the spec and asked for his best price and he just emailed back the list price with no discount.

So I've emailed him back pointing out the discount I got on my current car asking him to try again. Should hear something tomorrow.
Your on a f30 mission now then
      08-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Your on a f30 mission now then
Actually, I could be out of luck at the mo. The missus is on the verge of buying a brand new Fiesta.
But I'm still interested with what the dealer comes up with tomorrow on a 330d. I fear the part ex may be a shocker. Gods knows how much I've lost on mine in 12 months - well over £10K I think .
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 02:23 AM   #11
Respm
Rep

This is fascinating stuff, thanks. So the 7% that I'M being offered by my local dealer is below par. They didn't like the fact that I had another quote. I'll contact Coopers at Reading then.
Has anyone ever used Broadspeed.com? They claim to do the donkeywork looking for quotes.

Also, unrelated to price, I can see that people are sold on the professional SatNav. I opted for the Business version. Is the Professional version so much better? I have no experience of them at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #12
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Actually, I could be out of luck at the mo. The missus is on the verge of buying a brand new Fiesta.
But I'm still interested with what the dealer comes up with tomorrow on a 330d. I fear the part ex may be a shocker. Gods knows how much I've lost on mine in 12 months - well over £10K I think .
Shame, but you still have an awesome 3er, so enjoy .

Let us know the cost to change though

Quote:
This is fascinating stuff, thanks. So the 7% that I'M being offered by my local dealer is below par. They didn't like the fact that I had another quote. I'll contact Coopers at Reading then.
Has anyone ever used Broadspeed.com? They claim to do the donkeywork looking for quotes.

Also, unrelated to price, I can see that people are sold on the professional SatNav. I opted for the Business version. Is the Professional version so much better? I have no experience of them at all.
Prof Nav is "only" 500 quid more, so seeing as you are already paying £1,500 it may be worth it

You get a full size nav screen, which means you can split the information better, e.g. Have you music tracklist and nav maps showing. Plus you get full Black panel display in the dashbaord, but no idea what that really does!

Hmm, is that worth £500 quid come to think of it
      08-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #13
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I agree - no point in going Business Nav without going the whole hog and getting Pro Nav
      08-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

That's tough if they dont like the fact you had another quote! Its A LOT of money you are spending so you have a right to shop around!
With regards to the Nav, doesnt the Prof one have better 3D maps too? I'm sure the cheaper one only has only 2D? As said, if you are going for it then get the better one. I think the Prof also has cool real-time BHP and Torque readouts

Quote:
Let us know the cost to change though
Will let you know when they email me back. I'm hoping it should be a decent quote as I've bought 2 cars from them, last one being new.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Went in for price on 328i M Sport with £3k of extra's was offered £3250 disc without asking, but aware they lost my business on my last car by £2000 so started higher i don't believe the dealer just has 14% as last model was 25% approx, Broadspeed on 320D M Sport showing £3900 and if you take that to some dealers they will beat it like i got on my e90 330D M Sport. I plan to contact a few dealer so they know i'm keen and what till they can't meet targets at end of money and call with far bigger discount or wait for year end like my last two BMW's , i'm aiming for disc of atleast £4500 or not buying simples
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
MaestroAl
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

25% off just means they're either pre-reg cars or there's massive back-end insentives from the manufacturer and/or the finance companies. I worked in the trade for 6 years and there's really not that much money in new cars in terms of the list price - it's everything else that makes the dealers money
      08-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
UK_
Captain
Rep
Drives: 911

Hi Respm,

Definitely think pro nav is worth the £500 extra (though no way nav pack should be £2k). Again a personal choice but I like the idea of being able to store music on the hard drive.

Cooper Reading are usually very good although some salesmen there can be rubbish (like anywhere). I actually complained this time to the sales manager as I was getting nowhere with his staff. He organised a car for me to test drive and eventually did the deal for me. His name is Paul Glister and he is really helpful so don't give up on driving the price down.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
Went in for price on 328i M Sport with £3k of extra's was offered £3250 disc without asking, but aware they lost my business on my last car by £2000 so started higher i don't believe the dealer just has 14% as last model was 25% approx, Broadspeed on 320D M Sport showing £3900 and if you take that to some dealers they will beat it like i got on my e90 330D M Sport. I plan to contact a few dealer so they know i'm keen and what till they can't meet targets at end of money and call with far bigger discount or wait for year end like my last two BMW's , i'm aiming for disc of atleast £4500 or not buying simples
The only problem is when you have a part ex. They may give you a good discount - but sting you on a part ex thus forcing you to try and sell private to get what the car is really worth.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #19
Respm
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb79 View Post
Hi Respm,

Definitely think pro nav is worth the £500 extra (though no way nav pack should be £2k). Again a personal choice but I like the idea of being able to store music on the hard drive.

Cooper Reading are usually very good although some salesmen there can be rubbish (like anywhere). I actually complained this time to the sales manager as I was getting nowhere with his staff. He organised a car for me to test drive and eventually did the deal for me. His name is Paul Glister and he is really helpful so don't give up on driving the price down.
Thanks Rb79. That's useful information. Yes, 2k for the full blown Satnav does, in the cold light of day, to be absurd. But, having paid 34k or so and having to drive it for, perhaps 5 years, would I regret not having all the bells and whistles, perhaps more than having the 2k tucked away somewhere? The jury is out on that.
I have sympathy for the salesman trying to earn their salary and bonuses, but I don't like to be taken for a fool, and I have to say that being frowned upon by them for getting alternative quotes is foolish.
I'm going to sign up for it in the next 2 weeks so I will now look at all BMW dealerships that are accessible to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #20
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Rb79. Yes, 2k for the full blown Satnav does, in the cold light of day, to be absurd. But, having paid 34k or so and having to drive it for, perhaps 5 years, would I regret not having all the bells and whistles, perhaps more than having the 2k tucked away somewhere? The jury is out on that.
You have hit the nail on the head.

Driving my e90 with Pro-Nav for 4 years has been worth every penny as the integration with all car-features is spot on/seamless and safer than a Tom Tom.

Without it, or using a Tom Tom would be niggle me everyday.

Plus, don't forget re-sale - your car with Pro-Nav will be worth more (so you get a bit of the £2k back) and easier to sell on (some cars without Nav in fact struggle to sell)
      08-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #21
Respm
Rep

Quote:
You have hit the nail on the head.

Driving my e90 with Pro-Nav for 4 years has been worth every penny as the integration with all car-features is spot on/seamless and safer than a Tom Tom.

Without it, or using a Tom Tom would be niggle me everyday.

Plus, don't forget re-sale - your car with Pro-Nav will be worth more (so you get a bit of the £2k back) and easier to sell on (some cars without Nav in fact struggle to sell)
Thanks TMP. This could prove to be a slippery slope, but would you say the same applies to Xenon lights? Are there any other "must haves" in your opinion?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 04:48 PM   #22
derekh929
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe & F56 JCW

Quote:
The only problem is when you have a part ex. They may give you a good discount - but sting you on a part ex thus forcing you to try and sell private to get what the car is really worth.
No private sale needed put car out at trade price if in very good spec and condition get best price trade and get dealer to match add £250 on for good measure done it three times know and always been miles better the part ex
Appreciate 0