F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bavsound issues
proTUNING Freaks

01-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
SJA16
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Glacier silver 328i

Bavsound issues

My front passenger side tweeter and speaker are only working at low volumes and are fuzzy. Sometimes they fade in and out playing really quiet and then getting super loud. Every once in awhile they work fine but then they always end up doing the same thing. Has anyone had this issue? What should I do? I already took my car to where I had the speakers were installed which was a shop recommended by bavsound,
But they don't know what it is. At first they thought it was my amp from bimmertech and they retuned it. It worked for about 3 days and now the problems are back.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #2
mcleod52
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 30i-G01 2021 - Alpine White

I've had zero problems with my Bavsound speakers. I'd take the door panel off and investigate the connections.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

Actually I have a similar problem with one of my channels. I have Bavsound all around. Rear right speaker sometimes gets really rumbly and loose sounding at higher volumes (not ear shattering) at certain frequencies. And sometimes at lower volumes it appears to be no sound at all, then cut in and out, eventually coming on. It seems like a loose connection, but that to me seems not likely. I installed them and it just doesn't seem likely. It could be a blown speaker, like an intermittent coil wire or something. I haven't had a chance to pull the door panel off to diagnose better. Too cold out. I contacted Bavsound about it and they said not to worry, it would be covered. But I should diagnose first and verify its the speaker. What I'm going to do is swap it with another one. If the problem follows the speaker it's very likely defective
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
SJA16
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 Glacier silver 328i

Well that's good to hear! Hopefully they'll send me a new speaker and tweeter also! Other than those 2 speakers everything sounds amazing and I'm very happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 04:18 PM   #5
Bspec79
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 - 328i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Actually I have a similar problem with one of my channels. I have Bavsound all around. Rear right speaker sometimes gets really rumbly and loose sounding at higher volumes (not ear shattering) at certain frequencies. And sometimes at lower volumes it appears to be no sound at all, then cut in and out, eventually coming on. It seems like a loose connection, but that to me seems not likely. I installed them and it just doesn't seem likely. It could be a blown speaker, like an intermittent coil wire or something. I haven't had a chance to pull the door panel off to diagnose better. Too cold out. I contacted Bavsound about it and they said not to worry, it would be covered. But I should diagnose first and verify its the speaker. What I'm going to do is swap it with another one. If the problem follows the speaker it's very likely defective
I have the same rumbling coming from my rear right on certain tracks. After further testing i discovered it was my door panel that was actually vibrating. I located the rumbling sound to the rear of the panel itself near the door locking pins. I'm going to pull the panels off over the weekend and add more sound deadening there which should hopefully fix it. Hope this helps in your case.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #6
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah when it's not below freezing I'll pull the panel and check for anything mechanical. To me it sounds electrical though cuz it sounds like the sound cuts in/out. It would be great if it's just a loose connector.

Is yours a deep rumbling or more of a buzzing? I'm sure you've read about the lock pins rattling. I've encountered other buzzes and rattles that are affected by the volume and frequency of the music...spent a lot of time nailing those down. Those white plastic fasteners that hold the panel on can have a little bit of looseness and they can buzz from the speaker vibration. I found the offending ones and dabbed some caulking around where they snap into the panel. That stopped it.

The real tough one to find was a buzzing only when female voices hit a certain note. Buzz. Drove me nuts. I re-ripped the music, tried different encodings...turned out to be the ambient lighting light pipe in the panel. The end of that thing was just loose enough that it would vibrate in the plastic trim at certain frequencies. Dabbed a little silicone caulking there and no more buzz. Once you hear something like that it'll drive you nuts and you won't be able to NOT hear it, lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 06:43 AM   #7
beanbaguk
Captain
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bspec79 View Post
I have the same rumbling coming from my rear right on certain tracks. After further testing i discovered it was my door panel that was actually vibrating. I located the rumbling sound to the rear of the panel itself near the door locking pins. I'm going to pull the panels off over the weekend and add more sound deadening there which should hopefully fix it. Hope this helps in your case.
No need to pull off the panels to fix the locking pins!

Just gently pry them out with a trim removal tool and line the inside of them with velcro (or in my case, draught excluder).

Works a treat and rattle is gone!
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2016, 05:03 AM   #8
Bspec79
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk View Post
No need to pull off the panels to fix the locking pins!

Just gently pry them out with a trim removal tool and line the inside of them with velcro (or in my case, draught excluder).

Works a treat and rattle is gone!
I'll give that a go. Thanks for the tip
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 05:06 AM   #9
Bspec79
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
Yeah when it's not below freezing I'll pull the panel and check for anything mechanical. To me it sounds electrical though cuz it sounds like the sound cuts in/out. It would be great if it's just a loose connector.

Is yours a deep rumbling or more of a buzzing? I'm sure you've read about the lock pins rattling. I've encountered other buzzes and rattles that are affected by the volume and frequency of the music...spent a lot of time nailing those down. Those white plastic fasteners that hold the panel on can have a little bit of looseness and they can buzz from the speaker vibration. I found the offending ones and dabbed some caulking around where they snap into the panel. That stopped it.

The real tough one to find was a buzzing only when female voices hit a certain note. Buzz. Drove me nuts. I re-ripped the music, tried different encodings...turned out to be the ambient lighting light pipe in the panel. The end of that thing was just loose enough that it would vibrate in the plastic trim at certain frequencies. Dabbed a little silicone caulking there and no more buzz. Once you hear something like that it'll drive you nuts and you won't be able to NOT hear it, lol.
I know exactly the buzzing sound you're describing. Only happens on certain vocals or frequencies. I may have to check that ambient light pipe too. That's one place I would never have thought to check
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 12:11 AM   #10
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

That one annoyed me for months. Put on the track that causes it. Sit n the back and press your finger against the pipe on the end closest to the rear of the car to see if that stops it.
Appreciate 0