F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW Colors -- Suggestions to BMW Corp.
GetBMWParts

02-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

BMW Colors -- Suggestions to BMW Corp.

So, up until the F30 came along, I had to give it to BMW for preserving a buyer's ability to mix and match the interior and exterior colors as the buyer saw fit. With the F30, however, BMW promulgated what colors belong on the various lines, which I must admit I detest also, particularly as they are, except for the sport and m-sport, are a lot of money for cosmetics.

Even so, as one who likes red interiors, I can at least get by with the sport or m-sport lines. But I think BMW need to add a new interior color with the introduction of the F32: Estoril Blue, or whatever blue it is that would match that blue stripe that comes on the m-sport's dash.

Aside from the reasoning above, I think BMW should offer blue because it's a great interior color that'll look especially smart with pretty well all of the exterior colors they offer and because it's a color not often available from other mainstream car makers. Indeed, if one desires a blue interior, one has no choice but to buy a car costing well over $135K. So at the very least, I guess that makes blue an upscale color.

Also, I noticed that BMW relatively recently introduced some new interior colors for the 5 and 6 series -- that chocolate brown color and the orange color. So I think it's now the 3er's turn to get a color of it's own.

Lastly, some of you may recall back when the E92 came out, the red interior was unique -- among the 3ers -- to the coupe. So a blue that matches that stripe would be a good choice to give the F32 an interior color of its own.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
jtuds
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335rwd Dinan S2

how about just offering some non boing colours. white, black, grey, blue, red. wow...interesting.

oh, there's a shit brown option, sweet!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Blue interior? Never going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

The last time that I recall seeing and owning a BMW with a blue (dark) leather interior was the E30.

BMW, like other manufactures, spends lots of money doing market surveys for exterior/interior colour choices before offering them to the public. You can be sure that a bright blue interior will be as likely an option as yellow ! A darker red than Coral Red would be a more likely future choice or maybe a return of Natural brown ?
      02-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
The last time that I recall seeing and owning a BMW with a blue (dark) leather interior was the E30.

BMW, like other manufactures, spends lots of money doing market surveys for exterior/interior colour choices before offering them to the public. You can be sure that a bright blue interior will be as likely an option as yellow ! A darker red than Coral Red would be a more likely future choice or maybe a return of Natural brown ?

Well, there's hope then as BMW do offer yellow -- sort of -- on the Z4.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

tony20009:

I stand corrected ! BMW did offer Lemon leather in the E90 sedan. This off-white leather had a slight yellow cast to it, hence the name. It was not a popular choice and was quickly dropped as an option.
      02-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

They only produce what will sell. Blue interiors fell out of favor in the early 80s. There was a two-tone blue/black offering in the E39 M5, but I'm not certain they really sold that many of them. I personally think it looked like the bright vinyl seat covers you'd buy on eBay for $50.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
So, up until the F30 came along, I had to give it to BMW for preserving a buyer's ability to mix and match the interior and exterior colors as the buyer saw fit. With the F30, however, BMW promulgated what colors belong on the various lines, which I must admit I detest also, particularly as they are, except for the sport and m-sport, are a lot of money for cosmetics.
Configurability is intentionally limited when new models are introduced as it simplifies production ramp-up. As the model matures more configuration options will be introduced.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post

Even so, as one who likes red interiors, I can at least get by with the sport or m-sport lines. But I think BMW need to add a new interior color with the introduction of the F32: Estoril Blue, or whatever blue it is that would match that blue stripe that comes on the m-sport's dash.

Aside from the reasoning above, I think BMW should offer blue because it's a great interior color that'll look especially smart with pretty well all of the exterior colors they offer and because it's a color not often available from other mainstream car makers. Indeed, if one desires a blue interior, one has no choice but to buy a car costing well over $135K. So at the very least, I guess that makes blue an upscale color.

Also, I noticed that BMW relatively recently introduced some new interior colors for the 5 and 6 series -- that chocolate brown color and the orange color. So I think it's now the 3er's turn to get a color of it's own.

Lastly, some of you may recall back when the E92 came out, the red interior was unique -- among the 3ers -- to the coupe. So a blue that matches that stripe would be a good choice to give the F32 an interior color of its own.
They are trying desperately to stay ahead in the sales game and offering more colors etc slows reduction down. IMO their focus has moved from enthusiasts to luxury owners. Money talks and that's where the sales are.

Last edited by 335BBS; 02-04-2013 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

BMW, like other manufactures, spends lots of money doing market surveys for exterior/interior colour choices before offering them to the public. You can be sure that a bright blue interior will be as likely an option as yellow !
BMW offered yellow with the individual program.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Well, FWIW, BMW offered red interiors on the E90 when no other car makers, outside the seriously high-end ones did. Now, all of a sudden, everyone offers red.

Blue is an amazaing color. I recall Father had a white convertible with a navy blue seats. That thing was beautiful. Go to one of the high-end car configurators and play around with blue. You'll see what I mean.

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #12
J1n
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8 V8 '14

Matte yellow would be nice
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Who says BMW doesn't have imagination?

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

^ I'm really liking the blue in the last photo. I think it's a bit much on the seats, and the dash, and console, and the doors, and the shifter boot, and the carpets, and the A-pillars....but I like the color.

TY for posting the pics.

Appreciate 0