F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > $2650 to replace the bumper 2014 335i M Sport on Oahu??
ARMA SPEED

02-09-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
robguenther13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Preordered 2014 M4

$2650 to replace the bumper 2014 335i M Sport on Oahu??

Good evening,

My 16 year old daughter hit a speed bump a little too fast where I live (not uncommon), and it ripped half of the front bumper and the lower skid plate off. I secured it with some zip ties and gorilla tape for the time being.

I went to a local well rated body shop, and they quoted me $1640 for parts ($1048 for the bumper!!!) and another $1000 for labor. I feel like this is a sh*tload of money, especially when I noticed that the bumper is like ~$500 on some BMW vendor websites.

The guy who did the estimate told me called the local BMW dealership for all the price quotes (they don't have a body shop). The part costs for the skid plate and all of the associated fasteners, etc were about what I was expecting.

The body shop did say I could buy my own bumper and bring it in, so wonder if I should shop around estimates, or is $400 for labor, $300 for paint, $200 for paint supplies a solid deal.. something tells me it isn't... even in Hawaii.

Thanks!

Rob
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 12:45 AM   #2
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

I had my rear bumper replaced a couple months ago and total was around $1,950 all in. Guy who hit me paid for it. There is only one BMW certified body shop here and they have done a great job both times I went to them.

Another guy I use is O'Sung. Not certified, but they do a lot of work on nice cars. Fixed a nasty dent (huge one) on my wife's Lexus and it was flawless. They also fixed my door when I rubbed up against the corner of a rock pillar. They gave me a fair price for the work.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 07:35 PM   #3
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I had to get my front m sport bumper taken off and painted. They had a small repair to make, paint it and reinstall and they charged $2000. I didn't care as the lady that backed into my car paid the bill. The guy at the autobody said it takes a while to remove the front bumper.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
I had to get my front m sport bumper taken off and painted. They had a small repair to make, paint it and reinstall and they charged $2000. I didn't care as the lady that backed into my car paid the bill. The guy at the autobody said it takes a while to remove the front bumper.
Gotta love those insurance claim price hikes! they know what they can estimate and get paid for. it doesnt take that long to remove the front bumper. its a matter of bolts up top, in the fender well and along the bottom. Then you just need to unhook the PDC and fogs.
      02-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

The repair shop will also check if any mounting brackets have been damaged. It's part of the inspection process after the bumper has been removed.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 05:54 PM   #6
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robguenther13 View Post
Good evening,

My 16 year old daughter hit a speed bump a little too fast where I live (not uncommon), and it ripped half of the front bumper and the lower skid plate off. I secured it with some zip ties and gorilla tape for the time being.

I went to a local well rated body shop, and they quoted me $1640 for parts ($1048 for the bumper!!!) and another $1000 for labor. I feel like this is a sh*tload of money, especially when I noticed that the bumper is like ~$500 on some BMW vendor websites.

The guy who did the estimate told me called the local BMW dealership for all the price quotes (they don't have a body shop). The part costs for the skid plate and all of the associated fasteners, etc were about what I was expecting.

The body shop did say I could buy my own bumper and bring it in, so wonder if I should shop around estimates, or is $400 for labor, $300 for paint, $200 for paint supplies a solid deal.. something tells me it isn't... even in Hawaii.

Thanks!

Rob
The BMW Bumper MSRP is close to $900 as it can only be shipped by freight, even though it weighs only a few pounds.

The extra 20% is your “Island Tax”.

About a grand more on top of Parts for painting is inline for a BMW Dealer, but it certainly can be done right for about a third less. It’s just a matter of finding the right place or you will wish you paid the higher price.

As for the other bumpers for $500, a BMW Front Bumper is essentially 60”x22”x22” and that right under max shipping for FedEx or UPS. In other words, if there is more than an inch of cardboard/packing material used for shipping, it could not go FedEx or UPS (except Air Freight).

BMW has about 5” of packaging on all sides so it has to go freight.

Obviously, the Aftermarket Bumpers do not.

And with only 1” of packing with the aftermarket bumpers, if damaged in transit, Insurance is denied because they were not “packaged properly”.

Why am I telling you all this?

Because FedEx Ground and UPS Ground cannot Drive the highway to Hawaii (obviously).

I bet you will find that at that size, the CONUS $500 aftermarket Bumper at that size will end up close to the OEM Price after you pay for shipping to Hawaii. Even more if you use air freight.

BTW, has your pre-ordered 2014 M4 arrived? If so, you might want to update your info. Guessing you do not live in WA either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robguenther13 View Post
The guy who did the estimate told me called the local BMW dealership for all the price quotes (they don't have a body shop).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
There is only one BMW certified body shop here and they have done a great job both times I went to them.
If Dealership does not have BMW Certified Body Shop, who does

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 02-12-2018 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0