F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bavsound Base vs Hifi Speakers
Studio RSR

06-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 328xi

Bavsound Base vs Hifi Speakers

Hi Guys,

I had a F30 (320i Canadian) with base (non-hifi) system and had upgraded to Stage 1. This week upgraded to a 2016 F30 (328xi) with Hifi. I was wondering if i can still use the same speakers?

Is there a difference in bavsound speakers between Base and HiFi? if not can I install the speakers and order the extra center channel speaker from bavsound?

My plan is to also install my JL XD 700/5 v2 and JBL MS8 processor. First of all have to figure out the plug and play harness.

What do you guys think.

Thanks in advance.

Vithy
Appreciate 1
jondaman157.50
      06-23-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
carmo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i xdrive

Congrats on the upgrade. I think the bavsound for the base stereo and hi fi are different. You should ask the gents at BAVsound to make sure though. Many people disconnect the center speaker in the hi-fi systems but I have no experience with it.

Can you let me know where you find an MS-8 processor in Canada. I've been trying to find one and had no luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #3
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thank you. Actually I did ask bavsound, they said speakers are different. Response from bavsound was from a sales expert. I would love to hear back from one of their technical folks. However i went ahead an installed the speakers anyway, I do notice significant difference between the factory speakers. I still haven't installed my MS8 & JL XD amp yet.

My question for bavsound is, what the difference between the two. Speakers looks exactly the same. As i have someone with the hifi speakers and got them to take picture of the speakers. I guess we just have to find out.

I picked up my MS8 on Kijiji about 3 years ago. I don't think they retail them anywhere I know.

Thanks
Vithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmo View Post
Congrats on the upgrade. I think the bavsound for the base stereo and hi fi are different. You should ask the gents at BAVsound to make sure though. Many people disconnect the center speaker in the hi-fi systems but I have no experience with it.

Can you let me know where you find an MS-8 processor in Canada. I've been trying to find one and had no luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 01:39 AM   #4
GeertB
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran coupé

Normally the bav speakers for base audio have an extra filter of some sort. You have to remove it when you install the speakers in a hifi setup.
Check out this topic:Bimmer-Tech - Amp Upgrade - Base Stereo Only (F3x / F8x)
There are pictures of the filters and how to remove them somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #5
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

GeertB, Yes, I spoke directly to bavsound techs. They confirmed the same. So i removed the inline capacitor and connected them directly. All good now.

Thanks
Vithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeertB View Post
Normally the bav speakers for base audio have an extra filter of some sort. You have to remove it when you install the speakers in a hifi setup.
Check out this topic:Bimmer-Tech - Amp Upgrade - Base Stereo Only (F3x / F8x)
There are pictures of the filters and how to remove them somewhere.
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2016, 07:44 AM   #6
shaunsookoo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport Plus E92

BAVSOUND Stage One and Ghost Subwoofers upgrade, AMAZING

I installed a Stage 1 Speaker upgrade and underseat Ghost Subwoofers for my BMW E92 Base Sterio. It's safe to say I am nothing short of blown away. They have taken my BMW from a rubbish muffled and distorted sound system to a concert within my car! The sound is crystal clear (tweeters in particular made a massive difference) and the sub is incredible! I'm not a "car man" but even I was able to do the full installation with no hick ups in a few hours. Couldn't recommend these speakers enough, I feel like I have a new car.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the review shunsookoo. I'm with you on that. Base or even Hifi OEM speakers (which i think are the same) are bad.

I had the bavsound speakers on my base F30 and now moved it to the LCI-F30. They sound better even without DSP/Amp upgrade.

I was impressed with the OEM under-seat woofers. I was going to order the Ghost Subwoofers from bav, but i'm going to wait out and install my MS8/JL Amp before I decide to swap them out. I think OEM woofers have potential with DSP and more power. My cable should be here by next week, will install and have a listen and let you guys know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunsookoo View Post
I installed a Stage 1 Speaker upgrade and underseat Ghost Subwoofers for my BMW E92 Base Sterio. It's safe to say I am nothing short of blown away. They have taken my BMW from a rubbish muffled and distorted sound system to a concert within my car! The sound is crystal clear (tweeters in particular made a massive difference) and the sub is incredible! I'm not a "car man" but even I was able to do the full installation with no hick ups in a few hours. Couldn't recommend these speakers enough, I feel like I have a new car.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 09:24 AM   #8
Mrfurious214
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral White M3

Does anyone know if there would be any significant upgrade to audio if I swapped HiFi amp with a Bavsound amp but left all speakers the same? My OEM amp just blew a channel (the one for the woofers under the front seats) so I’m trying to decide if I should get the OEM amp or the Bavsound. I have an aftermarket amp and 2 8” sub’s in the rear spliced on the OEM woofers also (wanted a little extra thump over OEM). Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 11:31 AM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Probably. There's nothing at all special about the Bavsound speakers, and nothing substandard about the OEM Hi-Fi speakers. The main shortcomings of the Hi-Fi amp are too little power and no DSP EQ. The Bavsound and Fischer Match Up amps fix those problems.
Appreciate 0