F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i now always starting as if it was cold
proTUNING Freaks

07-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #23
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcrunch View Post
I was wondering if I was the only one experiencing the same behavior: high RPMs on start whether cold or warm, and the shake under 1k during warm up that makes it seem like the engine is misfiring. I haven't complained to the dealer yet, but I may if it helps resolve it.
PLEASE, please, report this to your dealer!

My service writer says he opened a "case" with BMW regarding the issue, but BMW claims there haven't been many reports of this so they don't have an answer. Well, it seems there are, but it could be that many are not making their service writer report it, or customers don't want to bother with it.

If our small collection of owners shows a small number of the same issue, then it's likely that many others have this as well and it needs to get reported so that BMW can find the cause and fix it.

To be clear, this is not about a high RPM on cold start or warm/hot restart, but the engine "shake" and vibration as the cold start or restart starts to drop around 1000rpm and eventually smooths out as RPM drops to normal.
In my case this issue has become worse in hotter weather because I have had a number of "bogs" and stumbles now when starting to drive off just as I add a bit of throttle right off idle. A number of times the engine bogs very quickly and recovers, or the car starts moving with a st...st...stutter and then smooths out.

Report this to your dealers service department if you have these symptoms so that we can get BMW on it!
Thanks!

BMW >
They, BMW, are pretty good at getting things sorted, but only after they finally get enough complaints.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 04:33 AM   #24
mikkenoone
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i F31

I've got this "cold start issue" after I got the power and sound kit installed. Though it was normal due to the new flash until I saw this thread. I'm going to report this to my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #25
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Another data point for this issue, after the MPPSK install the cold start is still present and just slightly worse. The high RPMs last about 5-15 seconds longer than it did before the install.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #26
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

A catalyst heating phase is required - engine cold or hot - for the latest emission requirements. Other OEMs must do the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 04:44 AM   #27
ErkanTR16
64-bit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xDrive

Garage List
I've noticed this as well from Day 1.
Few weeks later I unplugged the Exhaust Flap valve/sensor it's even louder which i like. No complaints here.
Appreciate 1
xlover2191.00
      10-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #28
jeebus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
PLEASE, please, report this to your dealer!

My service writer says he opened a "case" with BMW regarding the issue, but BMW claims there haven't been many reports of this so they don't have an answer. Well, it seems there are, but it could be that many are not making their service writer report it, or customers don't want to bother with it.

If our small collection of owners shows a small number of the same issue, then it's likely that many others have this as well and it needs to get reported so that BMW can find the cause and fix it.

To be clear, this is not about a high RPM on cold start or warm/hot restart, but the engine "shake" and vibration as the cold start or restart starts to drop around 1000rpm and eventually smooths out as RPM drops to normal.
In my case this issue has become worse in hotter weather because I have had a number of "bogs" and stumbles now when starting to drive off just as I add a bit of throttle right off idle. A number of times the engine bogs very quickly and recovers, or the car starts moving with a st...st...stutter and then smooths out.

Report this to your dealers service department if you have these symptoms so that we can get BMW on it!
Thanks!

BMW >
They, BMW, are pretty good at getting things sorted, but only after they finally get enough complaints.
I don't think this is an "issue" though. It's emissions related. Just drive off slowly after startup.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #29
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus View Post
I don't think this is an "issue" though. It's emissions related. Just drive off slowly after startup.
No, this NOT emissions related.
High rpm cold start, and even high rpm hot start, are part of emissions to help heat the cat-con.

The complaint I have, as some others do as well, is the "shaking", seeming like a misfire. Also, taking off too soon after cold start or hot restart often results in a big bog/stall.
Emissions standards haven't changed since I had my F30 2013 335i w/N55, and that engine did not shake as idle dropped on cold start or hot restart.
Also, not everyone with the new B58 is reporting the "shake" problem.

Remember, BMW does NOT recommend a "warm up". They recommend that you drive off quickly after you start a cold engine, and simply drive at nominal rpm until the engine warms up. That is emissions related, because idling to warm up an engine is not as efficient as driving.

I have the shake issue reported to BMW. The thing is BMW needs to get a number of complaints on the same issue and then they will figure it out.
I'm due for my 1yr maintenance this week. I'll see if BMW has s something for this problem
I will escalate the issue with BMW as well, because the bog has been a bit scary a couple of times as I'm trying to accel away at a light, or merge into traffic soon after restart, even when the engine has not shake.
It's not normal in the least.

As for new engine or first year, of course, anything can happen with new products. Issues even happen with 2nd, 3rd and on years of production.
I don't expect perfection on any initial run. What I do expect is for BMW, or any auto maker, to correct any problem that arises.
BMW Financial expects me to make my payments, I expect BMW to fix warranty issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 08:46 AM   #30
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenieur View Post
A catalyst heating phase is required - engine cold or hot - for the latest emission requirements. Other OEMs must do the same.
This is nothing new regarding emissions.
High cold idle start has been used for decades with every car maker.

The question some have here is that they notice that even when hot their 340i goes through a similar "cold start" program.

The other issue reported here is the engine "shake" during the idle down on cold start and on hot restart.

Seems that most have the hot restart idle down, but not everyone has the engine shake.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #31
jeebus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
No, this NOT emissions related.
High rpm cold start, and even high rpm hot start, are part of emissions to help heat the cat-con.

The complaint I have, as some others do as well, is the "shaking", seeming like a misfire. Also, taking off too soon after cold start or hot restart often results in a big bog/stall.
Emissions standards haven't changed since I had my F30 2013 335i w/N55, and that engine did not shake as idle dropped on cold start or hot restart.
Also, not everyone with the new B58 is reporting the "shake" problem.

Remember, BMW does NOT recommend a "warm up". They recommend that you drive off quickly after you start a cold engine, and simply drive at nominal rpm until the engine warms up. That is emissions related, because idling to warm up an engine is not as efficient as driving.

I have the shake issue reported to BMW. The thing is BMW needs to get a number of complaints on the same issue and then they will figure it out.
I'm due for my 1yr maintenance this week. I'll see if BMW has s something for this problem
I will escalate the issue with BMW as well, because the bog has been a bit scary a couple of times as I'm trying to accel away at a light, or merge into traffic soon after restart, even when the engine has not shake.
It's not normal in the least.

As for new engine or first year, of course, anything can happen with new products. Issues even happen with 2nd, 3rd and on years of production.
I don't expect perfection on any initial run. What I do expect is for BMW, or any auto maker, to correct any problem that arises.
BMW Financial expects me to make my payments, I expect BMW to fix warranty issues.
I still maintain this is emissions related. My car does have a shake/hesitation if I take off too soon after starting. It happens in the morning, happens at lunch, happens when I leave work. It only hesitates for a brief moment, I drive off slowly, I hear the injectors loud as hell too, they start to quiet down after 30 seconds, then driving becomes pretty normal.

My e90 M3 also drove like this during cold starts (sans the loud injectors).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #32
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

I get a "stumble" when I first put car in gear and move it but only during an actual cold start and only on initial throttle application, last's a half a sec or so and then no problem. Done it since new, I don't consider it an issue, more a quirk I attribute to the performance characteristics of the engine.
      10-11-2016, 02:59 PM   #33
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
I get a "stumble" when I first put car in gear and move it but only during an actual cold start and only on initial throttle application, last's a half a sec or so and then no problem. Done it since new, I don't consider it an issue, more a quirk I attribute to the performance characteristics of the engine.
mine does the same, nothing like when i had bad injectors in the N54! lol

annoying but we'll see what transpires for this engine in the future, even exhaust flap unplugged this thing is just too quiet out the ass!
      10-11-2016, 03:08 PM   #34
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post

annoying but we'll see what transpires for this engine in the future, even exhaust flap unplugged this thing is just too quiet out the ass!
I'm fixing that Thursday.
      10-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #35
jeebus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

WAAAAY too quiet. I fixed that with a DINAN exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 03:54 PM   #36
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
I'm fixing that Thursday.
I want the MPPSK but I leased it 1 day before that was available, now I have to face the depreciation of putting it on the car I dont' actually own... tough!
      10-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #37
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I want the MPPSK but I leased it 1 day before that was available, now I have to face the depreciation of putting it on the car I dont' actually own... tough!
Dang! Tough spot for sure. As happy as people seem to be with it I guess my question would be ... How long is your lease and how deep are your pockets?
      10-11-2016, 05:03 PM   #38
jeebus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
that's why I bought the DINAN and will remove and sell it when I return the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #39
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
yes, the reason for the concern is it didn't do this when I bought the car, it's only done it since the i-step upgrade.
They've upgraded you to 'performance car' level then!!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 10:46 AM   #40
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

So does the brief 'stumble' at idle affect just AT owner's cars or MT also?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 06:22 PM   #41
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
I had a new gearbox fitted to my 340i recently, I got the car back yesterday and since I've had it back, regardless of the oil temp, it always does a cold start. Previously, it only did a cold start if it wasn't up to temperature but that's no longer the case.

Is it cause for concern? I'm not sure it needs to do that all the time.

Anyone else got this, or anyone with a brand new one doing this? They updated the car's i-step in the process so I'm wondering if it's something to do with this or if there's a sensor unplugged.

Thanks!
if i start my car up again (warm start) it will simply rev a bit higher then idle. that sounds strange to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #42
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Apparently the B58 engine has thermal heat retention insulation so it can retain 'much' of it's heat for 'up to' 36 hours, for improved fuel efficiency and engine health in short run driving situations!! So it seems strange that they all appear to be performing a 'cold start' even when they're warm!!! Makes no sense...
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791431.50
      12-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #43
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozydog View Post
Apparently the B58 engine has thermal heat retention insulation so it can retain 'much' of it's heat for 'up to' 36 hours, for improved fuel efficiency and engine health in short run driving situations!! So it seems strange that they all appear to be performing a 'cold start' even when they're warm!!! Makes no sense...
Exactly my thoughts too. It's got to just be for show, it doesn't do it while doing stop-start crap.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #44
nozydog
Driver
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts too. It's got to just be for show, it doesn't do it while doing stop-start crap.
I was going to ask that exact question (as I haven't got my car yet) but you've confirmed that it doesn't occur during the stop/start cycle... well if it did that would defeat the whole object I guess! My current car, a Porsche Cayman revs briefly just once on start up which I guess is all part of the inbuilt performance car drama (the misses always says why do you do that... and I keep telling her it's not me it's the car) but the revs drop immediately if the engine is warm!! maybe this 340i start up phenomenon is a similar characteristic!
Appreciate 0