F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > 1.25t Trolley Jack for jacking 1 wheel on 1.7t F31?
GetBMWParts

08-12-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
Minty
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

1.25t Trolley Jack for jacking 1 wheel on 1.7t F31?

As per the title I have a 1.25t trolley jack which I have been using to jack only 1 corner at a time. It's basically used for swapping over my summer wheels to winters and vice versa.

I cannot find any definitive information relating to this but I believe the maximum lift capacity of 1.25t should be more than sufficient to lift 1 corner at a time on a 1.7t F31. I use one of 4 lift mounting points underneath the car when jacking.

There probably is a physics formula for calculating this...

Should I continue to use the 1.25t jack or stop being a tight git and buy a 2t + jobby?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

it might work OK as you are not lifting the entire weight, but you are possibly close to overloading the piston and worst case is it could collapse either during a lift or when a wheel is off.
neither would be good.

personally I would not use it as the consequences of a failure could be serious, Either injury to you or damage to the car (or both)

buy a £50 low profile trolley jack and be safe
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...FYcV0wod2WIJIA

the
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #3
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine
it might work OK as you are not lifting the entire weight, but you are possibly close to overloading the piston and worst case is it could collapse either during a lift or when a wheel is off.
neither would be good.

personally I would not use it as the consequences of a failure could be serious, Either injury to you or damage to the car (or both)

the
That's exactly the one I have. Works well.

OP, be aware that the saddle (the cup that the jack point puck sits in) is smaller diameter than 'full size' units. To keep the puck in place I drilled through it and cable tied it to the saddle.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
ontheway
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 MSport 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
Should I continue to use the 1.25t jack or stop being a tight git and buy a 2t + jobby?
Well, you should NEVER trust a jack, any jack. Repeat that ten times. Never get under a car on a jack....

I can't imagine that a 1.25t trolley jack is worse than a normal scissor jack.

Buy those f30 jack pads ... and never trust a jack....

Other option is to have a jackstand handy...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 09:52 AM   #5
Minty
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
neither would be good.

the
Thanks for the replies - I know I should buy another, it's just not worth the risk for such a small outlay.

Just to be clear, I value my safety and would never get underneath a car supported by a trolley jack only
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #6
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

1.25 ton jack is perfectly fine for lifting one corner. Provided it is a reputable make. I've heard a number of far eastern imports are a little ambitious in their claims. For proof of this look at a jack from Sealey or Clarke (rebranded far eastern units) then find the identical non brand unit. You will notice Sealey and Clarke generally down rate the safe working loads.

Always use jack stands.
Appreciate 0