F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Steering rack - is there a permanent fix?
proTUNING Freaks

08-12-2020, 02:27 AM   #45
slowbart
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbart View Post
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU435 View Post
[

Hey slowbart, Macarthur BMW want $950 in labour. Who was the indy that had the tools?
My local mechanic advised that Active Power Steering would do it after he spoke with them. I have not got around to doing it yet though.
Got my car back - fixed. Definitely an improvement. Prior to fitting it was noisy as hell. Post fitting there's no hint of the knocking noise whether switched off, idling, or driving.

No thanks to two different BMW dealers! I must have made 10 calls to those clowns and got nothing but an offer to charge me just to look at the car.

One call to my local bloke and he sets me up with the a workshop who knew about the problem and how to fix it.

Also thanks to the forum for pointing me in the right direction as far as parts required :-)
Appreciate 2
sspade2460.00
chet8227.50
      08-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #46
k1k1
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

I was quoted approx $600 by BMW Canterbury to fix this including part . Where did you end up going?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 07:47 PM   #47
slowbart
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1k1 View Post
I was quoted approx $600 by BMW Canterbury to fix this including part . Where did you end up going?
Thats the lowest dealer quote I've seen! Active Power Steering in Reevsby was cheaper, including part supplied by me. Ask for Jay.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 08:54 AM   #48
k1k1
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbart View Post
Thats the lowest dealer quote I've seen! Active Power Steering in Reevsby was cheaper, including part supplied by me. Ask for Jay.
SO what was the price for labour?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 03:24 AM   #49
Alt
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Hi all, just wanted to share my experience in resolving the knocking noise and hopefully helping any other people experiencing the same issue.

Symptoms:
- Knocking noise when turning steering wheel left/right past around half a rotation
- Looser steering feel, especially in the centre of the steering wheel. Feels like there is less resistance compared to normal especially in sport mode.

Solution:
- I bought the BMW steering rack repair kit 32106891974 from BMW North Shore for $87. I didn't manage to get a quote for installation as they wanted to force me to get the vehicle checked/diagnosed first, which would cost $264/hr and would be a complete waste of time and money for a problem I already knew the solution to.
- I was quoted $540 by BMW Canterbury to install the repair kit (excluding repair kit cost since I already purchased it). They installed it earlier this week.

Results:
- Knocking sound is completely gone
- Steering feel has tightened up and has mostly gone back to normal

Active Power Steering also performs the repair, was quoted ~$500 for labour (excluding repair kit part) but location wasn't convenient for me.
Appreciate 1
MY340i689.50