F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Dakota leather touch up pen from The Leather Clinic on ebay
Studio RSR

02-22-2018, 05:27 AM   #1
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Dakota leather touch up pen from The Leather Clinic on ebay

Have only had my 4GC for 3 months. I’ve got Ivory White Dakota seats. I guess you know what's coming...

I’ve used Dr Leather cleaner to remove jean dye transfer several times already. However, a new black leather belt of mine has marked the lower back section of the driver’s seat, which Dr Leather cleaner won't shift. I ordered some leather stain remover from The Furniture Clinic, which other forum members have used and recommended. Having rubbed the black marks using the fluid on a white microfibre cloth, the topcoat colouring came away from the leather on the most persistent stain, which is about the size of a 2 pence coin, revealing the grey/black base in small spots.

So, I bought some of this stuff - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-DAKOT...-/262993426411 - which I’ve used before on black Dakota. Having dabbed it on gently wearing nitrile gloves and using my fingertips to apply very thin coats, I can only now tell where the worn area is by looking very closely - and even then, I can only tell as the pigment of the leather is smoother. With the touch up fluid fully dry, the colour match is perfect.

The touch up fluid from The Leather Clinic is good stuff for minor marks and scratches. I’ve used it now on Dakota Black on two cars and now on Ivory White.

As for Dakota leather, well, it isn’t very resilient, and marks and wears way too easily, IMO. I had applied Dr Leather dye block when I first bought the car, which appears to have done very little. As I plan to keep this one for a while, it looks like I’ll be investing in a seat cover.
      02-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Thanks for sharing the link & your experience. Our Venetian beige isn't as touchy as your Ivory, but the Dr. Leather kit has been helpful for cleaning & protecting. Hopefully the dye pen won't be necessary!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining

Last edited by John in VA; 02-22-2018 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
MSCD
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Convertible

Garage List
Thanks my oyster Dakota in the Convertible has some back/ worn areas!