F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > How best to approach a new car deal?
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #1
TimMcC
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
109
Rep
460
Posts

Drives: F32 430d MSport
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

How best to approach a new car deal?

Hi folks,

The test drive of the E class is not going well, I'll write it up next week once it has gone back, but it seems very likely I'll be putting in an order for a G31 5 Touring.

Any tips for opening the negotiation? Be straight and let them know I know I can get ~20% off? Pretend I don't and unveil a quote from a broker/other dealer later?

Anyone know of any good dealers if my local one doesn't play ball? TRL still around?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
teaston
General
teaston's Avatar
United Kingdom
4136
Rep
21,914
Posts

Drives: 335d M Sport Plus
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norfolk 'n' Good

iTrader: (1)

TRL certainly is still around, you’d be mad not to go to him!
__________________
Current: LCI F30 335d M Sport Plus in BSM/CR
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 05:24 PM   #3
davyk31
Major General
398
Rep
5,950
Posts

Drives: Macan GTS :-) & Golf GTI Mk7.5
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Say nothing at the start but make it clear you want a decent deal. Seeing where they pitch this first offer will give you a very good indication of what type of dealer you are working with.

Then when they give you a poor offer immediately go to leave thanking them for the quote but say they are wasting both your times. The look on the salesmans face is usually laughable at this stage. He will then do everything he can to make you sit down.

Then hit him between the eyes with the price you expect him to better and make it clear you don't want any old nonsense of running back and forward to his big bad sales manager in the office where no customer may enter. You often find after a while the big bad boss comes out to see you. If they aren't playing ball say goodbye and try another.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
wlightning
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
45
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: F30 340i EBII
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (0)

Go to a number of online brokers to spec the car you want and take the best price with you. Tell the dealer to better it and they have the business.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
JD6
Brigadier General
1027
Rep
3,302
Posts

Drives: F30 335d MS+ ACS springs MPSS
Join Date: May 2014
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Personally I negotiate on the phone having already decided on the exact spec and a target price. Dealers are often reluctant to do this as it puts them in a weak position - they know that it is zero hassle for you to put the phone down and speak to another dealer if they don’t play ball. Conversely, when you’re sitting in their showroom, they feel in a position of power - you want to do a deal and it’s a hassle to go somewhere else.
Appreciate 2
      11-12-2017, 03:34 AM   #6
davyk31
Major General
398
Rep
5,950
Posts

Drives: Macan GTS :-) & Golf GTI Mk7.5
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

iTrader: (0)

It also depends on whether you enjoy the car buying process or not, I love it!!

Totally different with Porsche though, you test drive then sit in the desk opposite the salesman and ask him ever so nicely if he would be good enough to sell you a car. He goes off to speak to his boss who says ok they can and they look at a screen to see where they can fit you in for a build and tell you that you can hopefully have a car in 12 to 18 months. You then give them a 3k deposit and leave happy.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2017, 03:40 AM   #7
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
2888
Rep
14,849
Posts

Drives: F31 335d/F30 330e/Boxster S
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
It also depends on whether you enjoy the car buying process or not, I love it!!

Totally different with Porsche though, you test drive then sit in the desk opposite the salesman and ask him ever so nicely if he would be good enough to sell you a car. He goes off to speak to his boss who says ok they can and they look at a screen to see where they can fit you in for a build and tell you that you can hopefully have a car in 12 to 18 months. You then give them a 3k deposit and leave happy.
The Macan wait is much shorter now Davy. If I ordered one next weekend then I could have it April. No hurry for me though and will try to get another year from the 335d, and wait for the facelift one to come out.
Have to say that the Porsche dealership in Reading was one of the most pleasant car dealerships I've ever been in.
__________________
2013 F31 335d MSport with lots of mods: DMS remap, ACS RS suspension, Alcon brakes...
2016 F30 330e MSport company motor
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #8
F30Andy
Colonel
F30Andy's Avatar
United Kingdom
539
Rep
2,353
Posts

Drives: F06 640d
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlightning View Post
Go to a number of online brokers to spec the car you want and take the best price with you. Tell the dealer to better it and they have the business.
Exactly this.

I have always found no matter how bad you want the car you have to behave like you don't give a fuck and will walk away from it over the littlest of things.

Do not be afraid to walk out.

Many a time I have walked out thinking to myself "back to the drawing board" only for the dealer to call back a day later and tell me that there "might be something they can do."

If however you are trying to buy a car that there is a waiting list for, this method will not work.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #9
Lobb
Brigadier General
Lobb's Avatar
3103
Rep
4,191
Posts

Drives: M135i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
Hi folks,

The test drive of the E class is not going well, I'll write it up next week once it has gone back, but it seems very likely I'll be putting in an order for a G31 5 Touring.

Any tips for opening the negotiation? Be straight and let them know I know I can get ~20% off? Pretend I don't and unveil a quote from a broker/other dealer later?

Anyone know of any good dealers if my local one doesn't play ball? TRL still around?
I would recommend walking into the dealer stark Bollocks naked.

That way they'll give you anything to get you to leave.
Appreciate 3
      11-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #10
rich100
Lieutenant Colonel
507
Rep
1,734
Posts

Drives: F31 320i Xdrive msport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
I would recommend walking into the dealer stark Bollocks naked.

That way they'll give you anything to get you to leave.


For an opening gambit that'd take some beating
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 02:24 PM   #11
davyk31
Major General
398
Rep
5,950
Posts

Drives: Macan GTS :-) & Golf GTI Mk7.5
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
The Macan wait is much shorter now Davy. If I ordered one next weekend then I could have it April. No hurry for me though and will try to get another year from the 335d, and wait for the facelift one to come out.
Have to say that the Porsche dealership in Reading was one of the most pleasant car dealerships I've ever been in.
Yes Tengo my wait was actually shorter as well, they told me 12 to 18 months but it came in 9 months as a few more cars were allocated to the UK.

What model are you looking at Tengo? Model and also importantly your dealers quarterly allocation are all crucial to wait times.

Residuals are still rock solid. Know a guy on the Macan forum who has just sold an 18 month old GTS back to the Porsche dealer for 4K less than he paid. He could also have got more I'm sure on a private sale or perhaps a sale to a non franchised dealer as Porsche dealers are notoriously greedy with markup on used stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #12
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
2888
Rep
14,849
Posts

Drives: F31 335d/F30 330e/Boxster S
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
The Macan wait is much shorter now Davy. If I ordered one next weekend then I could have it April. No hurry for me though and will try to get another year from the 335d, and wait for the facelift one to come out.
Have to say that the Porsche dealership in Reading was one of the most pleasant car dealerships I've ever been in.
Yes Tengo my wait was actually shorter as well, they told me 12 to 18 months but it came in 9 months as a few more cars were allocated to the UK.

What model are you looking at Tengo? Model and also importantly your dealers quarterly allocation are all crucial to wait times.

Residuals are still rock solid. Know a guy on the Macan forum who has just sold an 18 month old GTS back to the Porsche dealer for 4K less than he paid. He could also have got more I'm sure on a private sale or perhaps a sale to a non franchised dealer as Porsche dealers are notoriously greedy with markup on used stock.
We are driving a diesel next Saturday but I'd probably go for the GTS. I read that the facelift will also involve all new engines too, so that might change things, but right now it looks like the best all round balance and value.
__________________
2013 F31 335d MSport with lots of mods: DMS remap, ACS RS suspension, Alcon brakes...
2016 F30 330e MSport company motor
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #13
ronime
Attention-seeking whore
United Kingdom
176
Rep
592
Posts

Drives: BMW 320i xDrive M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: West Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlightning View Post
Go to a number of online brokers to spec the car you want and take the best price with you. Tell the dealer to better it and they have the business.
^This. Done this three times now. In my case I bowled into the showroom with the brokers figures to hand and simply stated "if you can match this price I will sign an order form today". The dealers appreciated the no-nonsense deal or no-deal approach every time.
__________________
BMW 320i xDrive ///M Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #14
454697819
Second Lieutenant
76
Rep
247
Posts

Drives: F31 335D XD
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Suffolk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronime View Post
^This. Done this three times now. In my case I bowled into the showroom with the brokers figures to hand and simply stated "if you can match this price I will sign an order form today". The dealers appreciated the no-nonsense deal or no-deal approach every time.
Agreed it helped narrow down who I could actually deal with they do appreciate the no nonsense approach !
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #15
davyk31
Major General
398
Rep
5,950
Posts

Drives: Macan GTS :-) & Golf GTI Mk7.5
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
We are driving a diesel next Saturday but I'd probably go for the GTS. I read that the facelift will also involve all new engines too, so that might change things, but right now it looks like the best all round balance and value.
The facelift might well bring no Diesel engine in the range. VAG are having a bit of a tough time with their diesels with Porsche stopping selling diesels in the home market for a time while they sorted out a few irregularities lol. Certainly wouldn't be buying a diesel one myself at this time. At the Moment the GTS is the sweet spot in terms of engine, standard equipment and chassis. This will likely remain with the facelift although it's still a good bit away and the GTS model won't appear at the time of facelift release.

Belfast OPC are the ones that will be selling the used GTS I mentioned earlier. Will be a well specced car in Carmine Red with 21" black classics. Good option for someone who doesn't want to wait for a new one although they may already have a customer lined up for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #16
JustChris
Lieutenant General
JustChris's Avatar
United Kingdom
3509
Rep
12,813
Posts

Drives: M2 DCT LBB
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: North West UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
The facelift might well bring no Diesel engine in the range. VAG are having a bit of a tough time with their diesels with Porsche stopping selling diesels in the home market for a time while they sorted out a few irregularities lol. Certainly wouldn't be buying a diesel one myself at this time. At the Moment the GTS is the sweet spot in terms of engine, standard equipment and chassis. This will likely remain with the facelift although it's still a good bit away and the GTS model won't appear at the time of facelift release.

Belfast OPC are the ones that will be selling the used GTS I mentioned earlier. Will be a well specced car in Carmine Red with 21" black classics. Good option for someone who doesn't want to wait for a new one although they may already have a customer lined up for it.
I noticed the Cayenne was P only currently, didn't realise fully this was why. Hmm. Still some VAG cleaning up to do.
__________________
M2 - Long Beach Blue - DCT
Mini JCW / X5M50d / 335d / Mini Cooper / M4 / M235i / 520D / X5 / X1 / 520D / 330D / 330i
Petrol 6 - Diesel 7
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #17
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Tengocity's Avatar
Scotland
2888
Rep
14,849
Posts

Drives: F31 335d/F30 330e/Boxster S
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Oxfordshire and Scotland sometimes

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I noticed the Cayenne was P only currently, didn't realise fully this was why. Hmm. Still some VAG cleaning up to do.
I was offered a new Cayenne diesel (not new model) this week with a few thousand off, so they're still being sold, and they're obviously not shifting if Porsche are having to resort to giving a 3k discount.
__________________
2013 F31 335d MSport with lots of mods: DMS remap, ACS RS suspension, Alcon brakes...
2016 F30 330e MSport company motor
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #18
davyk31
Major General
398
Rep
5,950
Posts

Drives: Macan GTS :-) & Golf GTI Mk7.5
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Northern Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Discount on Cayenne is simply because the new model has been previewed. Would need to be a hefty discount to tempt anyone at this stage. The block on sales was in Germany, think sales were banned and it became mandatory to get the upgrade to solve the cheat software. In the uk fitting the upgrade to resolve the problems remains optional but the bad press continues.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #19
TimMcC
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
109
Rep
460
Posts

Drives: F32 430d MSport
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Hi everyone, thanks for all the advice.

Walked in to look at colours and trims armed with an excellent quote from TRL. Said I was only there to look at options, and they took the challenge and took a few hundred more off the list price. Happy man
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:41 AM   #20
37psi
Brigadier General
37psi's Avatar
United Kingdom
925
Rep
3,833
Posts

Drives: F32 - 435d X Drive M Sport AT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMcC View Post
Hi folks,

The test drive of the E class is not going well, I'll write it up next week once it has gone back, but it seems very likely I'll be putting in an order for a G31 5 Touring.

Any tips for opening the negotiation? Be straight and let them know I know I can get ~20% off? Pretend I don't and unveil a quote from a broker/other dealer later?

Anyone know of any good dealers if my local one doesn't play ball? TRL still around?
I would recommend walking into the dealer stark Bollocks naked.

That way they'll give you anything to get you to leave.
With or without honey and coconut shavings on the oversized blueberries?
Appreciate 1
Lobb3103

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST