F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > The Budget

11-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #23
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Seems pointless to raise year one tax. Pretty much all diesels you would buy new will be Euro6 anyway and would be exempt from this.
I'm not seeing this as a straight forward EU6 issue, all diesel cars sold should now be to EU6. How many 'currently sold diesels' are to the latest EU6 RDE test cycle, brought in in September 17? Many diesels will need to have SCR exhaust after treatment systems to comply. Cars like the new BMW G30 diesels comply to EU6 RDE, as they have SCR, (AdBlue).

I note BMW have GPF (gasoline particulate filter) referenced for models like the G30 540i. They are not standard at the moment, but are there referenced for EU6 RDE, so not yet compliant to the latest test without the extra filter.

Manufacturers will have to speed up getting diesel and petrol through the new test regime, including the RDE cycle, as now there is pressure on them, and will be from customers if they want to save a few quid on VED.
M3 and M4 models now have a steel propshaft due to switch to GPF. What a bummer.
      11-23-2017, 12:25 AM   #24
Surg_Capt_R
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 - M:- CP

My gripe is this:

Easy ride for diesel drivers will do little to cut pollution - The Telegraph

https://apple.news/AFLlbFP_VRwaphUnMj4LknQ

The push for electric cars and the discouragement from diesel.

It is good that fuel duty did not rise but a new VED system could prove confusing.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 08:50 AM   #25
TodmordenLad
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC LCI with MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'm not seeing this as a straight forward EU6 issue, all diesel cars sold should now be to EU6. How many 'currently sold diesels' are to the latest EU6 RDE test cycle, brought in in September 17? .
I think that the answer is 'Very few', Pete, depending of course on what data the EU6 RDE test cycle is based on. If its these guys - http://equaindex.com/ - then the majority of EU6 diesels fail miserably with cars from Land Rover, Renault and Nissan amongst the worst.
      11-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #26
HighlandPete
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
I think that the answer is 'Very few', Pete, depending of course on what data the EU6 RDE test cycle is based on. If its these guys - http://equaindex.com/ - then the majority of EU6 diesels fail miserably with cars from Land Rover, Renault and Nissan amongst the worst.
Big problem with the upcoming test, EU6 RDE 2, it can't be complied with 'officially'. That's the only benchmark for VED ratings.

That's the conclusion I reached before reading the following from AutoCar's Rachel Burgess, in one of her blogs. Confirms the fact all new diesels are outside any new standard.

Quote:
Do any new cars on sale meet this RDE 2, then? Well that’s the thing. Even if they did, we wouldn’t know because certification for RDE 2 is not possible until 2020. Crazy, right?
Appreciate 0