F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Downpipe and dealerships
proTUNING Freaks

09-18-2016, 06:54 PM   #1
HiFi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Downpipe and dealerships

Hi guys
just sounding your experiences for those who have done downpipe (catless or catted) and what dealerships have said when the car has been in for service or warranty work?

Also - while on the topic has anyone had any drone with a catless DP?

Would there be less drone if catted than catless?

Im running stock with the MPE at the moment and looking to add a DP and JB4

Cheers
Harry
      09-18-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Funnily enough I was talking to a customer about this the other day and they asked their BMW dealership who to my surprise said "it only voids your original exhaust and downpipe warranty".
However my advice has always been to remove the downpipe if making a warranty claim related to the engine.

Drone will come down to the rear section of the exhaust... catless DP + MPE won't drone.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 10:51 PM   #3
HiFi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart@BMRAutowerkes View Post
Funnily enough I was talking to a customer about this the other day and they asked their BMW dealership who to my surprise said "it only voids your original exhaust and downpipe warranty".
However my advice has always been to remove the downpipe if making a warranty claim related to the engine.

Drone will come down to the rear section of the exhaust... catless DP + MPE won't drone.
Thanks stu - and catless vs catted for sound - is there a difference in sound - which do you find has a nicer/refined sound?
      09-19-2016, 01:21 AM   #4
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

I prefer the high flow cat.. firstly as there is far less smell but secondly I find it has slightly more burble than the catless. The catless is ultimately a little bit louder though.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 06:52 AM   #5
terminator335i
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

im running hfc downpipes (wagner tuning) with supersprint catback and RC PB system. Sounds and burbles are pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 07:02 AM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

I just had a catless dp installed today. Not really able to test out the sound due to heavy traffic but switching my JB4 to map 2 from my phone app within a few seconds (easy as) really made a marked increase in the car's performance. Really makes the turbo response very quick, so I'm happy.

I did have the roof open and could hear a somewhat livelier exhaust sound but that's not my real priority. Couldn't hear any drone.

I will give the setup a few days to bed in and really take effect.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #7
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
I just had a catless dp installed today. Not really able to test out the sound due to heavy traffic but switching my JB4 to map 2 from my phone app within a few seconds (easy as) really made a marked increase in the car's performance. Really makes the turbo response very quick, so I'm happy.

I did have the roof open and could hear a somewhat livelier exhaust sound but that's not my real priority. Couldn't hear any drone.

I will give the setup a few days to bed in and really take effect.
Hey what brand did u go. Can u let me know if fuel smell gets in the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x328x View Post
Hey what brand did u go. Can u let me know if fuel smell gets in the car.
Active Motorwerkes in Burwood installed it and I cannot remember which one it it. However, it works a treat. Only driven the car twice since the install and the car's response is terrific. The engine revs even more freely than it used to and no, I cannot smell any fuel smell in the car, even with the roof open. At least so far anyway.

I highly recommend it, but with the JB4 for maximum benefit.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 03:17 AM   #9
x328x
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Active Motorwerkes in Burwood installed it and I cannot remember which one it it. However, it works a treat. Only driven the car twice since the install and the car's response is terrific. The engine revs even more freely than it used to and no, I cannot smell any fuel smell in the car, even with the roof open. At least so far anyway.

I highly recommend it, but with the JB4 for maximum benefit.
Could u let us know how much the dp was. Excluding fitting.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 04:11 AM   #10
x328x
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Hi guys
just sounding your experiences for those who have done downpipe (catless or catted) and what dealerships have said when the car has been in for service or warranty work?

Also - while on the topic has anyone had any drone with a catless DP?

Would there be less drone if catted than catless?

Im running stock with the MPE at the moment and looking to add a DP and JB4

Cheers
Harry
I wouldnt risk it mate. Dp is one of those mods that can easily be blamed on motor damage.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 04:20 AM   #11
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x328x View Post
Could u let us know how much the dp was. Excluding fitting.
Sorry, no idea, just paid a $900.00 package price.
Appreciate 0