F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 4 Series Gran Coupe
GetBMWParts

10-18-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

4 Series Gran Coupe

Coopers have given me a decent loan car this time, only a 420d but it is M Sport Plus and xdrive, so i'm very happy with it as a loan car for two days!

However, I am glad i bought a 3 Series instead of a 4GC! It is a great looking car, arguably better the the F30, the power boot lid is great and the handling is definitely better than mine was standard despite it not having adaptive. I don't know if that's because it's a 4 Series, or because it has a lighter engine, but I'd say it's handling is on a par with mine on ACS springs and MPSS with adaptive dampers in comfort, although not as refined ride.

But:

The doors are smaller so it is more awkward to get in and out of, and the armrest and door pocket are therefore smaller.

The floors are higher and the roof is lower, so it feels less roomy than the 3 series.

The rear view is much worse, like looking through a letterbox.

The rear seat is not as good for 3 passengers, the middle one is perched on a raised bit of seat and there's no centre headrest, also the 2 outer passengers sit at a funny angle pointing towards the middle of the car.

So for anyone trying to choose between the two, I would say definitely try to get an extended test drive in the 4GC before ordering one.

Last edited by teaston; 10-18-2016 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 3
XWV53.50
Dyl432.50
      10-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

It wasnt an option for me as needed a family wagon but I was supprised how practical the gc was when I had one for a couple of weeks.

The 4er is crying out for the lci update imo to change the lights if nithing else as I think the rears especially look a bit dated now.

Nice cars though and the reason i ended up with a bmw.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
rapid64k
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: GT 330D M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Coopers have given me a decent loan car this time, only a 420d but it is M Sport Plus and xdrive, so i'm very happy with it as a loan car for two days!

However, I am glad i bought a 3 Series instead of a 4GC! It is a great looking car, arguably better the the F30, the power boot lid is great and the handling is definitely better than mine was standard despite it not having adaptive. I don't know if that's because it's a 4 Series, or because it has a lighter engine, but I'd say it's handling is on a par with mine on ACS springs and MPSS with adaptive dampers in comfort, although not as refined ride.

But:

The doors are smaller so it is more awkward to get in and out of, and the armrest and door pocket are therefore smaller.

The floors are higher and the roof is lower, so it feels less roomy than the 3 series.

The rear view is much worse, like looking through a letterbox.

The rear seat is not as good for 3 passengers, the middle one is perched on a raised bit of seat and there's no centre headrest, also the 2 outer passengers sit at a funny angle pointing towards the middle of the car.

So for anyone trying to choose between the two, I would say definitely try to get an extended test drive in the 4GC before ordering one.
Yes the GC is a by far the best looking between the 3 series.

But for the Coupe look you have to sacrifice space for that privilege.

You would not believe how many people try to convince me that the GC has

the same amount of space on the inside as a 3GT

The GC is a 4+1 seater while the 3GT is a 5 seater with a longer Chinese

chassis.

Still a nice looking car though but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I love my 3 GT
      10-18-2016, 09:06 AM   #4
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Interesting to read your thoughts on the two models. Horses for courses I think, and good that there are so many options from BMW. I pretty much agree with your points of variation between the two.

The letterbox view needs the rear view camera to assist with reversing. I have no issue with the view in general driving.

I'm not sure that the floors are higher, just that the seat is positioned lower for that sportier feel?

I don't have a problem with the door size, but still getting used to frameless, feels a bit bizarre. Maybe the low roofline hampers access compared with the F30?

Definitely no argument that if you need to seat 3 in the back, the 4GC is not the car to buy.

The boot is a godsend though, so much more practical (for me) than the F30, due to the wider opening. For me, it gave me family practicality without having to get an estate. I actually like estates, but the wife doesn't. Despite it's sportier looks, the F36 sits midway between the F30 and F31 for practicality in my view (as a four seater only).

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid64k View Post
Yes the GC is a by far the best looking between the 3 series.

But for the Coupe look you have to sacrifice space for that privilege.

You would not believe how many people try to convince me that the GC has

the same amount of space on the inside as a 3GT

The GC is a 4+1 seater while the 3GT is a 5 seater with a longer Chinese

chassis.

Still a nice looking car though but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I love my 3 GT
Yes, I can't work out if the GC is a more practical 4 series, or a compromised 3 series!

There's no doubt it looks great sitting on my driveway though! (Does need lowering and spacers though)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Nice car for sure but I still stand by my statement that an F30 is one of the best looking cars on the road overall.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
Drew474
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i xdrive

I really like my 435d GC. I've only had it about 5 weeks now, but loving the power from that engine.

I agree with the comments on the doors. I bought the GC due to recently having a little one, add to that we also have a dog, so the 120d I had just wasn't cutting the mustard.

I considered the 3 series touring, but the Mrs thought it looked like a motor for someone older (just her opinion lads ) And to be honest I loved to look of the 4 series.

I didn't consider a 440i due to xdrive being a must for me.

It does surprise me more people don't buy the GC. Lovely motor.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2016, 11:00 AM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew474
I really like my 435d GC. I've only had it about 5 weeks now, but loving the power from that engine.

I agree with the comments on the doors. I bought the GC due to recently having a little one, add to that we also have a dog, so the 120d I had just wasn't cutting the mustard.

I considered the 3 series touring, but the Mrs thought it looked like a motor for someone older (just her opinion lads ) And to be honest I loved to look of the 4 series.

I didn't consider a 440i due to xdrive being a must for me.

It does surprise me more people don't buy the GC. Lovely motor.
I agree about the touring. If I needed more space i think i'd get an X3.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #9
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

Quote:
I agree with the comments on the doors
TBH the thing i hate most about the F30 i have over my E92 are the doors, as i find them small in comparison and visibility is also poor due to the rear pillar - i am 6ft4 which may compound this issue and after trying the F32 i would have been far better off / more comfortable if i had ordered an F32 instead, unfortunately funds would not stretch that far at the time.

I have not tried the 4 GT but the F32 IMO has much better visibility for me than my F30 and i find i can get the seating into a much more comfortable position than my F30 - possibly because you sit lower (i think).

I have tried a 3 GT and TBH find the seating and visibility much better than my F30 and if i was buying again would go for the 3GT or the F32.

I think the worst thing after visibility on my F30 are the seats - unless you have the electric seats i find the limited range of motion maddening on a 35-40K car. I also think the rear visibility is average to poor, thankfully i ordered mine with folding rear head rests but would have liked a rear wiper.

as for the LCI update - personally don't see it making much difference given you need to try really really hard to tell the difference between pre LCI and LCI F30 and don't really care much about LED tail lights

Previous:
E92 320d, E92 LCI 330d
F30 330d, F32 440i
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #10
Dyl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4GC

When you are posting pictures on the Tesco fan forum do you always make sure you can see your car in the background through the window.

Oh, and yeah, F36s are ace!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Another loan car teaston?

Does yours go wrong that often that you need to keep going to the dealers?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #12
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Another loan car teaston?

Does yours go wrong that often that you need to keep going to the dealers?
Still the bloody interior reading lights problem!
Appreciate 1
dopper993531.00
      10-18-2016, 02:51 PM   #13
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I agree with you re the space in the GC. The rear seats I believe, are deliberately designed for two rear passengers to sit ""leaning in" which is fine as long as you don't want a middle passenger. It is advertised as a 4 plus 1 and, after having the E92, the ability to take a fifth occupant for a short trip is very handy but we should think of it basically as a four seater.

I find the rear doors give you poor access mainly due to the intruding wheel arches; you end up dropping in and back into the seat and, the older you are, the more awkward it is getting out.

The rear view doesn't bother me much and I suspect the very wide black surround is what makes it a smaller aperture than one would like. I think that is part of BMW's desire to make it look like a booted car (also no rear wiper) because big hatchbacks are not well regarded in Germany - hence all the fuss over the boot/hatch mechanism in the 5GT.

The boot is no bigger than the F30 but is more practical to load awkward shapes due to the hatch. The front seats are lowered in respect to the F30 in order to make it feel more like a sporty coupe. The piss poor opening in the rear windows makes the rear frame-less doors feel slightly stupid 'cos it only works well when the window is all the way down as in the front.

If the 4 GC had had a couple inches more in the wheelbase it would have been all good but it's just an F30/31/32 in a slightly different skin.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #14
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Interesting write up - thanks

Have always liked the look,of the 4GC and it's probably the one thing that would get me out of my f30 at the end if pcp
      10-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #15
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I agree with you re the space in the GC. The rear seats I believe, are deliberately designed for two rear passengers to sit ""leaning in" which is fine as long as you don't want a middle passenger. It is advertised as a 4 plus 1 and, after having the E92, the ability to take a fifth occupant for a short trip is very handy but we should think of it basically as a four seater.

I find the rear doors give you poor access mainly due to the intruding wheel arches; you end up dropping in and back into the seat and, the older you are, the more awkward it is getting out.

The rear view doesn't bother me much and I suspect the very wide black surround is what makes it a smaller aperture than one would like. I think that is part of BMW's desire to make it look like a booted car (also no rear wiper) because big hatchbacks are not well regarded in Germany - hence all the fuss over the boot/hatch mechanism in the 5GT.

The boot is no bigger than the F30 but is more practical to load awkward shapes due to the hatch. The front seats are lowered in respect to the F30 in order to make it feel more like a sporty coupe. The piss poor opening in the rear windows makes the rear frame-less doors feel slightly stupid 'cos it only works well when the window is all the way down as in the front.

If the 4 GC had had a couple inches more in the wheelbase it would have been all good but it's just an F30/31/32 in a slightly different skin.
I didn't know about the rear windows, just went and checked, that needs to go on my cons list!

Also, why is the b billar so massive!?

upload image online
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 03:29 PM   #16
Xplosiv166
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i M Sport Plus

Quote:
Also, why is the b billar so massive!?
gets in my way when looking left and right at junctions - end up craning my neck to see past the pillar which is a pita, probably because of my seat location as i have it set back completely and nearly at its lowest setting.

Visibility in my E92 was 100x better from my perspective rear and b pillar, strange that the coupe IMO has better visibility / seat adjustment than the saloon or at least it does from my perspective and seating position. i had a go in an F32 at a showroom and must say i was instantly much more comfortable and happier with the overall seating position and visibility over my F30 - admittedly it had the electric memory seats which i think are approx a £1K option which is why i did not spec them in my F30.

I have not tried the 4 series GT, i agree with the windows down it does not look great from the outside.

Previous:
E92 320d, E92 LCI 330d
F30 330d, F32 440i

Last edited by Xplosiv166; 10-18-2016 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #17
darylrese
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D LCI M Sport

The 4 GC was my first choice but glad i went for the F30 after your feedback!

I had a loan car today but i was fortunate enough to get a 118i Auto It was like driving a Citroen Saxo at the age of 17