F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Adaptive M Sport Suspension in Sport Mode
proTUNING Freaks

04-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #23
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Mine gets heavier, as you'd expect. not notchy though. Have you got VSS?
What could VSS possibly have to do with it? I thought it only made a difference when going slow and turning the wheel a lot. On the open road going fast I think its the same as the standard steering rack.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 01:57 AM   #24
BnB
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Mine gets heavier, as you'd expect. not notchy though. Have you got VSS?
What could VSS possibly have to do with it? I thought it only made a difference when going slow and turning the wheel a lot. On the open road going fast I think its the same as the standard steering rack.
No. The ratio is altered at speed to give more turn at the front wheels for a given rotation of the steering wheel. Does nothing for steering feel however.
      04-03-2017, 03:32 AM   #25
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnB View Post
No. The ratio is altered at speed to give more turn at the front wheels for a given rotation of the steering wheel. Does nothing for steering feel however.
The VSS ratio doesn't change with speed, (it is a constant mechanical function), it is variable with steering angle.

The software programming will be different from the standard rack, with different assistance levels, compensating for the faster rack towards full lock. VSS still has the servotronic function, therefore it is also speed sensitive to levels of assistance.

Steering shouldn't be clunky or notchy, a smooth function from lock to lock. Anything less and I'm suspecting something is not right.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11345.50
      04-03-2017, 04:40 AM   #26
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
In case you missed it in another thread recently, this is what all the different modes do:
Yes I did miss that, thank you very much, v useful
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 04:59 AM   #27
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
This ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
The VSS ratio doesn't change with speed, (it is a constant mechanical function), it is variable with steering angle.

The software programming will be different from the standard rack, with different assistance levels, compensating for the faster rack towards full lock. VSS still has the servotronic function, therefore it is also speed sensitive to levels of assistance.

Steering shouldn't be clunky or notchy, a smooth function from lock to lock. Anything less and I'm suspecting something is not right.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11345.50
      04-03-2017, 03:28 PM   #28
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

I think the modes and options are OTT. If we are confused then most drivers wont have a clue. Marketing is what they are for IMO.
I am beginning to wish my 335d was like my old one. Same suspension, same steering and sport mode was engaged with stick left.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 03:55 PM   #29
MrChumley
Major
Rep
Drives: F33 440i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrlane View Post
Wanted to let you know I tried it this morning and you are quite right. I compared stick left with sport drivetrain and they feel different. The throttle response on sport drivetrain feels sharper.

I now have the following assumptions on which am happy to be proven wrong:

- Sport plus, which changes both drivetrain and chassis, has the same settings as the default choice for Sport, the only difference being DSC is switched off

- Stick left gives the same effect on shift points as sport drivetrain. The latter also sharpens the throttle response while the former does not.

If those are correct, you can program sport to affect just chassis and get the same effect as drivetrain + chassis by switching into Sport+, besides switching DSC off. If you have Sport programmed to only affect chassis, you therefore still have a convenient option for separately activating sport drivetrain and chassis without having to go into the menus. Ie just activate Sport+
Thanks for that, and Teaston for the spreadsheet. I think what I want is what you've described, but with Sport set to drivetrain only, so I can go:

Comfort : comfort chassis and drivetrain
Sport : comfort chassis and sport drivetrain
Sport + : sport chassis and drivetrain

Is that possible?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #30
BnB
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChumley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrlane View Post
Wanted to let you know I tried it this morning and you are quite right. I compared stick left with sport drivetrain and they feel different. The throttle response on sport drivetrain feels sharper.

I now have the following assumptions on which am happy to be proven wrong:

- Sport plus, which changes both drivetrain and chassis, has the same settings as the default choice for Sport, the only difference being DSC is switched off

- Stick left gives the same effect on shift points as sport drivetrain. The latter also sharpens the throttle response while the former does not.

If those are correct, you can program sport to affect just chassis and get the same effect as drivetrain + chassis by switching into Sport+, besides switching DSC off. If you have Sport programmed to only affect chassis, you therefore still have a convenient option for separately activating sport drivetrain and chassis without having to go into the menus. Ie just activate Sport+
Thanks for that, and Teaston for the spreadsheet. I think what I want is what you've described, but with Sport set to drivetrain only, so I can go:

Comfort : comfort chassis and drivetrain
Sport : comfort chassis and sport drivetrain
Sport + : sport chassis and drivetrain

Is that possible?
That's how mine is set up. Seems the best because all configurations are possible.
      04-04-2017, 12:19 AM   #31
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

By "at speed" do you mean "at low speed"?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 02:27 AM   #32
BnB
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

By "at speed" do you mean "at low speed"?
I just meant when you're not at a parking snail crawl. Tengocity described VSS better elsewhere in the thread. The time I really noticed it on my 2 series was cornering at higher speeds because its effects influence the driving experience to a greater extent then but it's functional all the time
      04-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #33
MrChumley
Major
Rep
Drives: F33 440i convertible

Quote:
That's how mine is set up. Seems the best because all configurations are possible.
Thanks. I tried it this afternoon and it seemed to work quite well. Only things I hadn't noticed on my previous car were (1) I have to press the sport button twice to go from sport to sport + and (2) sport + doesn't let you use the cruise control. Is that the same for you?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 01:32 AM   #34
BnB
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChumley View Post
Quote:
Thanks. I tried it this afternoon and it seemed to work quite well. Only things I hadn't noticed on my previous car were (1) I have to press the sport button twice to go from sport to sport + and (2) sport + doesn't let you use the cruise control. Is that the same for you?
It is