F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > We Drive Fleet of Fully Equipped 335i M Performance Models (with PPK) - Video & Pics
Studio RSR

04-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #89
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Exactly!
As one of the few on these boards who has all of the M Performance parts...

M Perf Exhaust: $1300
PPK: $1100
Did you do the PPK before the exhaust? If so, I'm curious what your impressions were before vs. after adding the exhaust... any apparent difference in gas mileage or power? Was the sound appreciably "sportier", or just a subtle difference?
      04-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #90
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCperformance View Post
Did you do the PPK before the exhaust? If so, I'm curious what your impressions were before vs. after adding the exhaust... any apparent difference in gas mileage or power? Was the sound appreciably "sportier", or just a subtle difference?
I had the exhaust installed at port...i've never driven my car without one, sorry can't help.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #91
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Yeah I'm wondering the same too, do you have a speed gun and timing setup we can use then?

I'll tell you, it's difficult to believe on paper, but in person, this car is stupid fast. Like STUPID fast.

It's def more powerful than my Cammed Evo with a TBE - and that was putting down 325awhp/345awtq.

I can believe a solid near mid 4 second run easy. .25 in the 12's easy.
Go to the strip or use a vbox. I prefer a vbox because you can get more stats.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #92
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1338 View Post
Reads like an AD. I don't see why anyone would be considering this vs. a true M3.

The PPK is especially laughable, adds very little.

PS: I will probably be burned at the stake by the fanboys for this.
It is a very good question, one even myself thought of lately, but my initial rationale stands. This xDrive vehicle turned out 69k Canadian, plus taxes and stuff like 80k. including 200 000kms warranty. With the Adaptive M suspension the 335i xDrive is a terrific DD or spirited driver and all around fun car, 24/7.

The F80 M3/M4 are terrific vehicles, and am increasingly tempted to go for one in a few years. However an M3 with the same tech Premium etc options, and the CCB which I would get for the looks only, is over 100k Canadian AND only May-Nov drivable, and mid May to October can you push it around (temperature above 1-3C or 33-40F). The beautiful F80 is really a pure summer to fall car so tops 6 months a year in Canada.

In addition, the sheer amount of options this 335came with (not to mention that top rate HUD), the equivalent M3 would creep up with its Premium and Exec options.

Had I been living in the US, I would have indeed been lucky and able to buy and M3 and not even think about it. On our Snowbelt ice, M3s go indoors and are only pulled out once the last residues of stone chips, road salt chips and muck are removed.

But you do raise a very good point. Am astonished at the amount of effort and mods the 335i LE edition owners are putting into modifying them and going with these HK and Dinan struts/Suspension kits / etc thousands of $, many having modification crashes and getting refunded. And seeing the M Performance parts list at the beginning of this forum, one can shell thousands of $ more into M Parts- granted, the electronic M Wheel is REALLY cool in videos though and more. So yeah, logic dictates that over 60kUS, any american should buy the M3/M4.

That aside, once it leaves the free maintenance cycle, the M3 is more expensive. But anyone spending 70k US on the 335i LE in the US is just a few thousands of $ worth of mods from the new M3!!!! But then one can lease or get a low mileage 2nd hand. Maybe and interest, lease or accessibility issue?

Fingers crossed I get posted in the US in the next years, am thinking M3 with CCB and the not yet out laser headlights, or a 911.

My peeve with the M3 is that everyone mixes my car for an M3 (even at the BMW dealership until they look up closer at the fenders, exhausts or top) and had to come up with an answer to not answer with explanation.
Attached Images

Last edited by Musashi; 01-08-2015 at 10:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 10:24 PM   #93
Musashi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX PL View Post
oh man 4.4 second 335i.

by next year you guys will be saying its running 4.0 seconds.
I want you to look very carefully at my winter pic and the M Lap timer. My 0-60 was under 4.8, and 60-62 ended 0.3 more, or 5.1. Because of it being winter, 1C or 33 F, moist road etc, I did not use Launch Control and I rode my mushy but pretty amazing Winter Sottozeroes. They are fantastic but slower than the 20" staggered summer pirellis. As the M Lap timer did not work with my BMW apps until very recently, never tried to time it before (plus braking the car in) but the car is faster with the summer tires. 4.8 0-60 on moist cold roads with winter tires is frigging unbelievable for such a sedan. Check 911 summer timings for 0-60.

From what I read, and how it fells, the MPPK is quite the difference sub 4000 RPM and 2nd to 5th gear. Other than simple fun and 0-100, one should not compare the 335i with the the M3/4, as these are a class apart.
Attached Images

Last edited by Musashi; 01-09-2015 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #94
Musashi
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhter View Post
I don't think anyone will buy a 335 and add 10k+ (or more) of these parts to make it more expensive than an m3.

More likely existing f30 owners will buy 1-2k of parts that tempts them. Its a way to get more money from existing owner while giving them an opportunity to further individualize their cars. There will be alot of 320/328 owners who would want to add a few bits im sure.

Porsche for years offered 50k+ in options for a 80k car (911) heck its to too hard to configure a panemara to 200+k or a cayman to 100k but very few people actually do it.

Also probaby there are young people whos parents helped them get their 320/328 and they will probably spend quite a bit on these bits.

These are high markup bits for BMW and builds brand loyalty. Not every upgrade is for track performance and not everyone can afford M3 insurance
In Canada the delta is 32k exactly between this 335i LE and the M3 without the CCB, and 40k with the CCB, for the exact same options that came with the 335i Performance Edition. Adaptive M is Adaptive M no matter the platform. Some people are indeed modding their 335i M-Performance for 4-10k worth. I added 2000$ for Suntek and CQurtz (and why the recent winter pics car has zero dents/scratches and self cleans with 16000kms on it) and $3900 Turbine winter set +500$ to paint them black. No choice, I HAD to get winter tires. Total cost about 80k for the car, 6k extra for these must additions. But, the packages BMW offered on this were indeed 'aggressively discounted' exactly as BMW advertised. The reason is that the 335i and 335i xDrive were designed as a BMW and M and M Parts showcase vehicles, Florian Nisl's design ensuring most people confuse these limited editions for the M series unless looking up closely. BMW gets an Oscar for this marketing trick. 9/10 people I meet confuse it for an M3 and have a hard time believing it is not. Of course, they are not the esteemed forum members here, but unless looking more than 3-5 seconds, the mental image is an M.

The M3 is around 102$ before any extra protective stuff and may still lack quite a few options such as the Adaptive Headlights. add 13% tax or total of 115,000 CAD or 97,000USD plus financing 5% some 120,000CAD/102,000USD to be driven 5.5 months a year. See pic below, taxes or financing not added. Note: I added the CCBs.

The trick to the M3 is getting with least amount of options, but the options packages nearly make it impossible. To get the HUD you need the Tech Package, to get the camera, also a must, you need the Premium or Exec so on. In 2018, i think Canada makes camera and sensors mandatory on new vehicles - right now hidden inside 7-9k worth of packages. That will throw quite a wrench in Porsche/BMW's packages, so they will have to innovate in other options.

Where BMW missed the ball is individual line branding. They should have had 2 F30 3 series: a 'base' F30, and something like a M335i and M335iXdrive loaded with top suspension exhaust and M P Parts. Instead, one has 4 very confusing F30 models:
  1. 335i base - poor drive, also huge lease return rate;
  2. 335i MSport without Adaptive M and not M Performance Brakes but with M Sports Brakes with Blue frigging calipers;
  3. 335i Base customized with some M features but not the key ones;
  4. 335i M Performance Edition, with just about every base M goodie part that makes the 335i nicer to drive. And it is indeed fun and way less than adding individually the same M options.

In my opinion this fragmentation is ridiculous as it confused many purchasers in getting either more than they wanted, or way less (like someone that got an M Sport package but no Adaptive and no M P Brakes. Took me about 100 hrs of here or there research, as the forums or tech data piled up, to figure out what was what and get it, and one day to find out that this limited # production M Performance series existed at such a low price, got it and it vanished within a few days.
Attached Images

Last edited by Musashi; 01-09-2015 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #95
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Why do you consider the //M not a winter car? Slap on some Hakkas and go play.
Appreciate 0