F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 service manual
GetBMWParts

05-31-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
yjoonee
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG 328i Sedan

F30 service manual

Hi, does anyone have a pdf format of the service manual?

Our family just bought a 2012 Mineral white 328i w/ moonroof... and this car has NOTHING... I was just playing around with the car, and found out it doesn't even have an alarm... which is really funny... every car we own or have owned came with an alarm... and many other things that come standard on cheaper cars (homelink, HID kits, etc) so... I am thinking of installing a factory alarm and need a service manual... I believe our cars come pre-wired?

part# 65759198581 and 65759224277 is what I need I think...

I haven't found that many DIY on F30s. I guess it's because it's new?

well, if anyone has a service manual as a file, please share the info! thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 03:46 AM   #2
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
I'm guessing you looked on realoem.com or some similar website for those part numbers? Anyways, if you want a factory alarm, you will also need to do some coding (it is most likely disabled in the ECU), plus you might also need a different rear view mirror (you probably do not have the LED right now) and I'm guessing some more parts (I find it hard to believe that the "Altern.power siren with inclination indicat" and it's bracket are the only two parts you would need.

If you go for the factory alarm, I suggest you order and have it installed by a BMW authorized service station.. I wouldn't do it myself, it's quite easy to mess up the system of the car.

A bit off topic, though.. when I read your post, my first reaction was "did your CA never informed your family about all the features your family would miss?". It's always important to get informed when buying a new car of what the car has for options and what it doesn't have. The alarm, btw, does not come standard on the 328i but it is standard on the 335i... I'm a bit amazed you didn't know this before you purchased the car.

Of course, you could have all those things you mentioned standard with BMW, but then the starting price would be somewhere around 45,000-50,000 for a 328i, and I doubt many people would have liked that. Sure, one can stress there is not enough standard options on the BMW, at the other hand could you stress that BMW gives you the option to lose a few options that you don't really need and make the car cheaper for you so it's easier to purchase. Think of it like this: if the cheaper car manufacturers would give you all those options, many of their cars would start 10K cheaper as well

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 04:25 AM   #3
yjoonee
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reply svache.

of course we've researched the car for months. I've been on this forum for a month or two looking and learning what the car does have and does not have (pkgs, lines, etc) the primary driver of the car (my mother) did not want anything at the end. we were so sick and tired of $500 for this $900 for that which came standard with other cars. ($900 for xenons and you have to add premium pkg? come on... even my 03 G35 coupe came with HIDs 9 years ago...) but I really didn't bother looking into the alarm because... it's like the most basic function any car has now days... I guess it was my fault not looking into it.

I am pretty knowledgeable with cars so, with the service manual in hand, I should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is no service manual.

If BMW techs need to look anything up they use BMW's ISTA system that does diagnosis,coding and tech info.
Its around $20,000 per station.

Alarm retrofit will most likely need coding.
The dealers can print out the retrofit instructions.
      05-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
yjoonee
United_States
Rep

Oh ok...

So if I happen to go for it, install all the necessary parts, go to the dealer and get it coded?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
huskercubfan
STM TRPR
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i MW

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjoonee View Post

of course we've researched the car for months. I've been on this forum for a month or two looking and learning what the car does have and does not have (pkgs, lines, etc) the primary driver of the car (my mother) did not want anything at the end. we were so sick and tired of $500 for this $900 for that which came standard with other cars. ($900 for xenons and you have to add premium pkg? come on... even my 03 G35 coupe came with HIDs 9 years ago...) but I really didn't bother looking into the alarm because... it's like the most basic function any car has now days... I guess it was my fault not looking into it.

I am pretty knowledgeable with cars so, with the service manual in hand, I should be fine.

Even if you don't have an alarm on your car, your car has some of the most sophisticated anti-theft deterrents there are. I had a 2006 e90 which did not include an alarm and I still got an alarm discount on my insurance ... I dare someone to try and steal a BMW without a flat bed... I dare someone to try and make a BMW radio usable in another car without proof of ownership...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
huskercubfan
STM TRPR
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i MW

Quote:
Oh ok...

So if I happen to go for it, install all the necessary parts, go to the dealer and get it coded?
Yes... They will likely charge you between $150-250 to get the car coded.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
yjoonee
United_States
Rep

got it, thanks for the info and the replies!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskercubfan View Post
Even if you don't have an alarm on your car, your car has some of the most sophisticated anti-theft deterrents there are. I had a 2006 e90 which did not include an alarm and I still got an alarm discount on my insurance ... I dare someone to try and steal a BMW without a flat bed... I dare someone to try and make a BMW radio usable in another car without proof of ownership...
Dont be to trusting in it
Stealing E90 has become a problem in the UK.

There are always ways to get around systems and manufacturers constantly have to try and close loopholes.

Its one of the reasons the E90LCI lost the key hole on the boot (trunk) and had some electronics moved.

Easiest way and common in Europe is for them is to have a contact at your dealer.
When you go in for a service they pair a extra key to your car and get your details from the dealers system.
Then they just walk up to your car a few days later and get in and drive away.
Part of the reason we have to fit satellite and GSM tracking to our cars for insurance here.
      06-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #10
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post

There are always ways to get around systems and manufacturers constantly have to try and close loopholes.

Its one of the reasons the E90LCI lost the key hole on the boot (trunk) and had some electronics moved.

Easiest way and common in Europe is for them is to have a contact at your dealer.
When you go in for a service they pair a extra key to your car and get your details from the dealers system.
Part of the reason we have to fit satellite and GSM tracking to our cars for insurance here.
+1 I have seen it happen in Europe quite a couple of times. BMW's, even with alarm, are not safe at all. I know several people who had them stolen and sometimes later found in Eastern European countries.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:

So is an alarm going to protect against someone using a cloned key? I don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:

of course we've researched the car for months. I've been on this forum for a month or two looking and learning what the car does have and does not have (pkgs, lines, etc) the primary driver of the car (my mother) did not want anything at the end. we were so sick and tired of $500 for this $900 for that which came standard with other cars. ($900 for xenons and you have to add premium pkg? come on... even my 03 G35 coupe came with HIDs 9 years ago...)

Two things: 1. no 3-series has, or to my knowledge has ever had, an alarm system as standard equipment.
2. Are you saying you'd rather have a base price that's $10K or so higher? Or do you mean that the car equipped as you wish it is overpriced?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #13
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
So is an alarm going to protect against someone using a cloned key? I don't think so.
Ofcourse not.
But the keys I mentioned are not clones, they are normal BMW keys paired to the car. Most models can have up to 8 keys paired.

Cloned keys are a hole other thing.

Another way here is they also use a small transmitter like a gate remote with the correct frequency to block the car key signal when people lock the car. Because most people just press their lock button as they walk away they think the car is locked, while it is not because the remote was blocked. So the thieves then have easy access to the unlocked car.
      06-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
Raspartan
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Ofcourse not.
But the keys I mentioned are not clones, they are normal BMW keys paired to the car. Most models can have up to 8 keys paired.
So if for some reason you have paired 8 keys already you'd be immune to this scheme?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
So if for some reason you have paired 8 keys already you'd be immune to this scheme?
Well... I'm off to the dealer to buy six more keys now.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspartan View Post
It will just take them a little longer, as they will have to delete 1 key from the car before pairing the new one. This takes only minutes with the dealers systems
      06-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

E90Fleet - tangential to security, but on the topic of coding keys... Can an E90 key be coded to work with an F30.
The F30 fob is quite large and I would be interested in the smaller E90 one, if possible.

If so, any idea what they cost?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:11 AM   #18
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
E90Fleet - tangential to security, but on the topic of coding keys... Can an E90 key be coded to work with an F30.
The F30 fob is quite large and I would be interested in the smaller E90 one, if possible.

If so, any idea what they cost?
I dont think so, as they are different generations of BMW Car Acess systems.
All the 4th generation ones have the larger key

A E90 Comfort Access key is Round $270 just for the remote part ( without the physical key)
      06-04-2012, 05:20 AM   #19
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
A E90 Comfort Access key is Round $270 just for the remote part ( without the physical key)
I believe the E70 key is similar.. when I thought I lost one of my keys, I asked them what a new one would cost.. over here it was about 430 USD including coding they key or whatever they had to do.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #20
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Two things: 1. no 3-series has, or to my knowledge has ever had, an alarm system as standard equipment.
Actually, many thousands of 3 series have had alarm systems fitted as standard - just not in the good 'ole US of A!
      01-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #21
BMWE9X
Rep
Drives: F30 328i sedan -- E46 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskercubfan View Post
Yes... They will likely charge you between $150-250 to get the car coded.
I got a quote from my service guy yesterday for $180 to code the system and activate the alarm once I install the parts.

I ordered the three parts I needed for about $160 (siren, bracket, & hex nut)

So I guess it would cost you about $340 from start to finish to get an alarm on you car and activated if you install the part(s)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #22
estragos
TUGA
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport

I'm interested on this installation!
Do you have good news? the alarm is installed, or not yet?
Thanks...
Appreciate 0