F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW Remote APP on US Spec car in Europe
GetBMWParts

01-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
EB_F30
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' M Sport 335 6MT

BMW Remote APP on US Spec car in Europe

For those in Europe, how did you set up your BMW assist? I guess it's different for a Euro Spec car to a US Spec car. I will have my car this week and it is a US Spec car but I'm stationed in Italy. I'm being told the Remote APP wont work on my car since it's US Spec and I'm not in the states...but I want to clarify this.

Anyone have any input on this? I did a search but found nothing.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M, EBII, mit alles

My dealer told me essentially the same thing. It's a US spec car, so the BMW assist, satellite radio, etc. cannot be activated til you're in the states. That means there's no way to sync the app with your car. I'm currently wondering about the software updates myself. I think there's one available, but I haven't taken the time to try and run it...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB_F30 View Post
For those in Europe, how did you set up your BMW assist? I guess it's different for a Euro Spec car to a US Spec car. I will have my car this week and it is a US Spec car but I'm stationed in Italy. I'm being told the Remote APP wont work on my car since it's US Spec and I'm not in the states...but I want to clarify this.

Anyone have any input on this? I did a search but found nothing.
US spec cars delivered in the EU don't have working BMW Assist or Sirius or HD Radio. Some countries that allow FM stations on even frequencies (like 92.2) sound crappy as the radio in the car is also set to US spec, where we have only odd-numbered FM frequencies.

For ED cars, BMW loads EU maps, then reloads North American maps when the car is redelivered. If you have HUD and speed-limit info, those will both work and you can simply set the units to kilometers in iDrive.

It's a little bit of a pain, but since it is effectively impossible to get a non-US spec car imported into the US, it's worth the inconvenience.
Produced: 2018-08-15; Delivered 2018-08-22
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
EB_F30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the info. Like you said, a pain but it it's still worth it. I've found other apps at least to stream music from and of course using a usb for a ton of music. The remote app deal is kind of a bummer but nothing to crazy, I just liked the feature to be able to send yourself GPS coordinates a head of time but I'm finding the voice activation is pretty efficient and easy to use for the Nav as well. The assist not being able to work also sucks as that is a nice feature to have cause you never know what can happen on some of these crazy roads but o well....I only have two years left here.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Pretty sure it's in Europe, but if you buy US spec car, it's built to talk to the US network and vice versa. Kind of like a cell phone, but I don't think the transition would be as simple as changing out a SIM card
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Can we remote start our cars in the US?

All I've seen is lights, honking, and lock/unlock...

How can a GM Envoy have remote start and we don't?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
EB_F30
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellerKiller View Post
Pretty sure it's in Europe, but if you buy US spec car, it's built to talk to the US network and vice versa. Kind of like a cell phone, but I don't think the transition would be as simple as changing out a SIM card
Yes, this is correct. Here in Italy they do have the assist function for their bimmers but it wont wont on my car being US spec.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
KellerKiller
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Can we remote start our cars in the US?

All I've seen is lights, honking, and lock/unlock...

How can a GM Envoy have remote start and we don't?
If you want a remote start, get a WEBASTO. I had one on my E36 in Germany and it's the tits. It siphons a little gas from your tank, uses its own battery, circulates and heats your coolant and, if wired correctly, will turn the heater on in your car so the inside is toasty for you on cold mornings. Essentially the same as running the engine, but without running the engine. Also, it helps the engine start warmer=longevity.
Appreciate 0