F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 340i winter handling
ARMA SPEED

03-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #23
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Most of my life I've driven rwd and fwd in snowy climates, and I managed to get around, but awd is much better if you need to drive in extreme conditions. I'm not talking about rain, or a little snow, or temps of 32F, I'm talking about being caught on the road when a blizzard strikes, and snow is falling at 4 inches an hour. It's easy to say "I'll just stay home", but it doesn't always happen that way. Sometimes storms come on in the middle of the day, start sooner than expected, or quickly intensify to become more serious than expected, and you find yourself trying to drive home on a twisty, hilly road in the middle of a squall. At that time if you have rwd, there's a good chance you'll end up stuck in the middle of an incline, snow tires or not. AWD doesn't help you stop sooner, doesn't improve your visibility, and it doesn't substitute for smart, cautious driving. What awd can do is keep you moving so that you aren't stuck on the road in the middle of a blizzard with wind chills well below 0 deg F.

I see it stated online a lot that rwd with snow tires beats awd with all seasons. If you live in an area with snowy winters, don't believe it! Rwd with snow tires is still more likely to get your ass stuck on a snow covered hill, where awd can usually keep you moving.

Keep in mind too, that in snowy climes, you can get caught off guard by an early or late season snow storm with the summers still on your rwd car. Just last week we had a storm that dropped 2 feet of snow, and tonight we're supposed to get more. I've seen feet of snow fall in April.

Like I said, you can get by with rwd if you're careful, but if there's a better tool for the job, why not select it. In the past I've gotten by with rwd because it's what I had, but at some point I figured I can make life a little easier and safer during the winter by going with awd.
Sounds like you need to buy a 4WD/AWD vehicle with more ground clearance since you must live in a rural area.

In a more densely populated area, the depth of snow on the actual road is a lot less than projected snowfalls because it's constantly being compressed by other vehicles.

I have both an AWD SUV with all seasons and a RWD sedan with winter tires. See my experience below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
I do not completely agree. I have an X3 35i with all seasons and a 335i RWD with Michelin X-Ice Xi3 winter tires.

If you need to drive locally (short distances) with deep heavy snow occasionally, an SUV with AWD/4WD and all seasons will be okay. In deep heavy snow, any sedan will get high centered pretty easily whether it's AWD or RWD

If you need to need to travel greater distances at highway speeds on snow packed surfaces, the RWD + snow tires is superior to the AWD + all seasons.
I'm in a fairly urban area, and often times you're correct that the snow is cleared or packed down, but there are times when it falls too fast for the plows to keep up with. Consider too that not all roads receive the same attention. One road might be ok, and another still buried.

Like I said, I got by with rwd and fwd for years, but awd does the job with less drama, and less worrying about getting stuck or going sideways in traffic.

A truck or full size suv is best due to having better clearance and more weight, but I'll resist going that route just for the snow.

All that said, we can all agree that the main threat in bad conditions is from other motorists that aren't equipped to deal with the snow, or drive carelessly because they have awd and feel invincible. Having awd, even if in the form of a full size suv, is no substitute for exercising caution and common sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #24
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Adding one more vote for the best winter tires money can buy - literally. Regardless of RWD or AWD, winter tires are the starting point in the decision making process.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #25
crono06
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Adding one more vote for the best winter tires money can buy - literally. Regardless of RWD or AWD, winter tires are the starting point in the decision making process.
Agreed. Not sure why everybody compares awd with all seasons to rwd with snows. You should be using winter tires regardless. In that case, awd will obviously be superior. I have awd on both vehicles and using winters on both as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 11:50 AM   #26
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

I have a rear drive 340i in Chicago.
I have dedicated winter wheel/tire setup.
It performs flawlessly.
Go for RWD
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #27
dsc888
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340ix ///M Sport

I live in the Southshore region of Boston and have a 340ix with Winter Tires and I have never gotten stuck. I came from a long line of FWD Hondas on All Seasons and I had been OK up until Snowmaggedon that occurred in March of 2015 when we got 9 feet of snow in 4 weeks! I live in a well plowed area so the roads get cleared quickly and is often pre-treated by the city before anything even falls. But, as Fuller alluded to, there has been times when the snow fall overwhelms the ability for plows to clear the roads and I live halfway up a moderately steep hill so snows and AWD make a tremendous difference.

I also travel for work and often reach clients on smaller side streets that are not well plowed. That is the main reason for me getting AWD. I used to carry a shovel in the back of my Acura TSX because I got stuck on even very mildly inclined driveways while on the road, granted I didn't have snow tires at the time.
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      03-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #28
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh25 View Post
I'm in the market for a used 6spd 340i or 340xi and wondering if anyone can comment on how the 340i handles in winter driving conditions (snow/ice). All things considered, I'd rather go with RWD vs AWD if possible. I live in Minneapolis and had a 330i zhp with Dunlop winter sport 3D's and it handled pretty well in the winter. Thank you

Derek
This thread has the typical back and forth, but based on the information you provided, there is no reason to believe you won't be more than happy with the RWD and proper winter tires. The 340i is not lower, lighter or have any winter drawbacks vs your ZHP. Plus the RWD is cheaper, simpler, lighter and more fun in the good weather. But do keep in mind you should switch away from the staggered wheel & tire set-up for winter and get a square winter set-up on 225 width tires. Enjoy!
2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 0