F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Screen - no signal message
Studio RSR

06-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #45
aarslan
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW 3.20i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozanyener View Post
aarslan,

When I plug the usb stick, sometimes it starts rebooting after 1-2 minutes. Sometimes it reads it without problem. Even though, after stopping the car and restarting it, it plays 10 or 20 seconds and starts rebooting again. Switching to the radio doesn't change the result.
I've updated the system from 06 to 07 but it doesn't solve the problem. I'm taking the car to the dealer next wednesday. The lady on the phone has told me that another customer's complained about the same problem. So they will inform the BMW Germany

PS: I've tried 8gb and 32 gb sandisk...
Ugly. :-( Hope it will be resolved with the dealer, or at least BMW somehow comes up with a software solution.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #46
Kristof
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport MG

Actually I've seen the problem most often while listening to the radio, so I'm not sure if it's related to USB playback.

I had a new experience with this problem yesterday - I started off a 1-hour drive with the No signal message on and after about 45 mins it cured itself and the screen returned just fine. I guess the same happens when the car is locked for a longer period, it was just suprising to see it in person on the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #47
Yasir2k6
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2012

Add me to the list:
I made a video for my dealer to look at
They say its software related and i have to wait for month and a half for the software update for idrive. They will call me back when they can update the software.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #48
Kristof
Private
Rep

LeaseDriverNL, what about your radio unit replacement? Did it happen? Did it help in your case?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #49
chelseaFC4life
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I had this problem the day I picked up the car. In the last 6 weeks, I had this "no signal" at least 15-20 times, but it just goes away the next time I start the car. Unfortunately I am so much used to this by now, so it doesn't even bother me
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #50
Kristof
Private
Rep

I have some updates on this. I had my car have a full diagnostics at the local dealership (took about an hour for them to do it) and it confirmed a registered error of the "central electronic control unit" /raw translation, not exactly sure which one they meant/. They had the part ordered and got it already replaced last night. I picked up the car this morning and while I had a situation where it could have happened again, so far it looks ok to me..

I'll definitely report back if the issue turns up again. Meanwhile, I recommend the same method to anyone hitting that problem and I really hope it'll stay all fine this time
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #51
Justbear
Registered
Rep
Drives: 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristof View Post
I have some updates on this. I had my car have a full diagnostics at the local dealership (took about an hour for them to do it) and it confirmed a registered error of the "central electronic control unit" /raw translation, not exactly sure which one they meant/. They had the part ordered and got it already replaced last night. I picked up the car this morning and while I had a situation where it could have happened again, so far it looks ok to me..

I'll definitely report back if the issue turns up again. Meanwhile, I recommend the same method to anyone hitting that problem and I really hope it'll stay all fine this time
so, how was your case? does it get resolved after replacing the parts? i have the similar problem with my 116i. sent to dealer today
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 07:47 AM   #52
Kristof
Private
Rep

Yes, I have absolutely no problems since then.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #53
alpoimpm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116 ed

i had the same "no signal" problem with my 116d. the radio was replaced and the problem is solved.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #54
Justbear
Registered
Rep
Drives: 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpoimpm View Post
i had the same "no signal" problem with my 116d. the radio was replaced and the problem is solved.
radio? im still waiting for the screen to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #55
alpoimpm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 116 ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbear View Post
radio? im still waiting for the screen to be replaced.
yes. the radio unit was replaced. it took less than 1 week. since then i had nothing else to report.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #56
speedf
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Same problem on my F30 - "No Signal" started appearing only three days after I took receipt of the car. Been into dealer once who replaced something following diagnostic (sorry, not sure exactly what), but that seemed to make the problem worse (previously "No Signal" was quite rare, after they looked at it, it occurred at least once a day!). Car went back in dealer yesterday. Funnily enough, the courtesy car they gave me (another F30) is now displaying exactly the same "No Signal" message.

Dealer says they haven't seen this problem before (even though from this thread it would appear to be quite common) and will be speaking to "BMW Technical" today.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #57
Kristof
Private
Rep

speedf, see above for our experiences. Have you dealer run full diagnostics, get the radio replaced, it's a known problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 06:57 AM   #58
speedf
Rep

Hi Kristof,

The car (F30 320d) went into a BMW dealer the first time I had this problem - they ran diagnostics, and replaced a part (I didn't really pay attention at the time to what part). Next day, problem reappeared.

Car has been back into the dealer since, but despite them having it for two days, they can't seem to isolate the fault. They tell me that they have recorded the problem with BMW Technical (on the Puma system?) and are awaiting for BMW Germany to get back to them. That was a week ago.......

I've asked them to look on the web, and at this forum in particular, but they seem reluctant to do so.

So, not sure if this is a new variation of the "No Signal" problem that BMW haven't seen before. Is anyone else still having problems with "No Signal" despite it having gone into BMW for work?

Any advice on how to accelerate the resolution with BMW?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #59
Kristof
Private
Rep

hi speedf,

no idea really.. I'm just another (first time bmw) owner but if I were you I'd maybe try an other dealer if you can't get yours to get the job done. The diagnostics takes one hour, getting the
part delivered was about 3 days and they did the replacement in 12 hours or so.

I feel your pain, I really hated that issue.. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 08:15 AM   #60
Bayf
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Ed

I have had the same issue since I got my car at the beginning of July. Like another poster described, if I leave the car for a while, no trouble. It is mainly when I have popped to the shops and left the car for no more than about 5 minutes.

I note that when I get in the car normally, the screen is black until I press the start button, then the BMW logo appears and all is well. When it goes wrong, it is already showing "NO SIGNAL" before I have even sat down.

I have also found that you can clear it, by getting out of the car and locking up. Wait a couple of mins and then get back in and it is fine.

Pain in the arse though because even for short journeys, which in my case is having popped to the local small tescos, there is no reversing screen which is useful in those tight car parks.

Bayf
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #61
sgbk
Rep
Drives: F30

I've install a new 8.5" screen but the sign still display is : "NO SIGNAL" like this, do you have any ideas for it ? need upgrade software for CID from BMW ?
thanks all !
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #62
Kristof
Private
Rep

it's a radio unit problem, not a screen-related one.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #63
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Don't tell me BMW have installed windows operating system????
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #64
sgbk
Rep
Drives: F30

just hearing about system like that : For the original car with small LCD, CIC support for 6.5'' 600x800 screen only. But when we install a new LCD with 8.5" 1024x768 the CIC can not transfer all data to screen, that's mean all we need upgrade CID also if still want to fix it.

Pls tell me know what diffirence betwent CAR INFOTAINMENT COMPUTER and HEAD UNIT, HIGH ? because I saw that in my LCD note is "BMW L7 CID High" , what unit fix to this LCD ?

Last edited by sgbk; 10-04-2012 at 04:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #65
speedf
Rep

OK, just an update to my previous post where I had this "No signal" problem......

Although I haven't yet got the car back from the dealer, speaking to them today they reckon the problem has been solved by replacing the screen and not replacing the radio. Perhaps there's a couple of issues here that result in "No Signal" being displayed....

If, when I get the car, the problem re-occurs I'll report back here.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #66
ingleberg
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedf View Post
OK, just an update to my previous post where I had this "No signal" problem......

Although I haven't yet got the car back from the dealer, speaking to them today they reckon the problem has been solved by replacing the screen and not replacing the radio. Perhaps there's a couple of issues here that result in "No Signal" being displayed....

If, when I get the car, the problem re-occurs I'll report back here.
Have you had this problem again since getting your car back?

My 2012 F30, leased in July, has been having this problem sporadically. The NO SIGNAL message often goes away after a few minutes, after which iDrive works normally. But today the message appeared after I cut the ignition, and stayed on after I closed and locked the doors.

Anyone else have updates on this issue? I'd sure like to get the right parts replaced the first time.

Thanks
Appreciate 0