F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > X-Drive Vs RWD
Extreme Powerhouse

10-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
seamaster222
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

X-Drive Vs RWD

Hi all,

I wonder what are the differenced in between models. Obviously X drive is AWD, but I have read about suspension differences?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

Search is your friend....
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
seamaster222
Private
Rep

I know, but I can't find details on (for example) how much higher is the X-Drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
TDK
Enlisted Member
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: f31 320d sport line

The high have to be not on first place if you have to choose between X and RWD. For me RWD is good enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport, X1, 525d

In a nutshell, let's just say RWD = "FUN FUN FUN!!!!" and xDrive is "FUN + Control"
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
xDrive models are 5 mm/0.2 inches higher than RWD models, 56.5" v 56.3". RWD Sport and M Sport models have a sport suspension that is 10 mm/0.4 inches lower than the standard suspension. xDrive Sport and M Sport line models do not have the sport suspension. They have the same suspension as all other xDrive models.

The Dynamic Handling Package on xDrive models provides adjustable dampers, but it does not change the xDrive ride height.

BMW views xDrive as a utilitarian choice and thus does not include the same sport suspension settings with it that are available on RWD models. AWD/Quattro is Audi's "thing" and they offer a lower, sport tuned suspension as an option on their Quattro models. However, Audis without Quattro are FWD. Therefore the fundamental architecture of their cars has a FWD bias and many people (including me) find their cars less dynamically satisfying from the get-go.

Following BMW's more utilitarian view of AWD their xDrive system can instantly transfer power between the front and rear axles from 0% to 100% and anything in between. Audi's Quattro system is limited to a maximum split of 15% to 85%. Both systems default setting is 40% front and 60% rear.

Last edited by tturedraider; 10-06-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

If your BMW has less than 300hp, xDrive isn't necessary, unless you live in an area with inclement weather or are an inexperienced driver. If you have 300hp+, xDrive can provide a performance advantage and may be worth considering.

Whatever you do, get DHP if you get xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
seamaster222
Private
Rep

Thank you all for the answers. Much clear.

I would love to just get the RWD M-Sport BUT Im moving to Chicago for 1-2 years and I wonder if it's worth to get the X-Drive (also M-Sport) not only for more traction, but also for the higher ride. I would just drive in the city. Maybe installing winter tires is enough?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamaster222 View Post
Thank you all for the answers. Much clear.

I would love to just get the RWD M-Sport BUT Im moving to Chicago for 1-2 years and I wonder if it's worth to get the X-Drive (also M-Sport) not only for more traction, but also for the higher ride. I would just drive in the city. Maybe installing winter tires is enough?
It would be crazy not to have a winter set for Chicago, regardless of the drivetrain. Given that, decide if you need to have more traction, and buy xdrive if you do. As for the ride height, you'll either have plowed roads where it doesn't matter, or deep snow where extra 15mm will hardly make any difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #10
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Tracking=RWD
Snow Belt=xDrive

The xDrive for BMW's does NOT equate to the quattro in the S4, for instance.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
seamaster222
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
regardless of the drivetrain. Given that, decide if you need to have more traction, and buy xdrive if you do.
Well, I have never lived in a city with a significant amount of snow. Tough to decide without experience. I consider myself an experienced driver and won´t be doing crazy stuff in the middle of a road covered with ice.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
F32
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
If you have 300hp+, xDrive can provide a performance advantage and may be worth considering.
No, it can't.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
Elk
Major
Rep

RWD with snow tires will easily get you around in a Chicago winter.

xDrive with snows will provide better straight-line acceleration in snow/ice, but no better handling (this is a function of the tires and suspension as BMW's xDrive does not include torque steering or anything similar).
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Xdrive has come a long way from its initial application and now only adds about a tank of gas in terms of weight. It's also proven that in a straight line the rwd is slower than the xdrive. (This is fact, not theory) In the twisties we do not have any evidence of the rwd being faster so the jury is still out. We can speculate but it would be more useful if we had track data on this.

Judging from your post this is not what you are looking for.

In the winter what is dead certain is awd with winters is the best choice for winter driving. Any other combination (awd with all seasons, rwd with winters, etc) will have to come in second.

If you plan to track your car I doubt anyone can argue with the merits of hanging the tail out on the track, best done with the rwd. I also doubt you can lay down some rubber on the xdrive as it just puts power to the floor and takes off. For everyday driving or if you go to the track less often xdrive was designed to mirror the rwd, so whatever you get from the rwd you will get from the xdrive car. The xdrive dials out some of the under steer that may kick in with the rwd car though. With DHP you reduce the body roll from the standard suspension given the additional ride height in the xdrive compared to sport suspension. Either way body roll has been noted to be one unfortunate traits of the F30 in general probably save for those with MPS.

Either way, we have happy campers with rwd cars and equally happy campers with xdrive. All the best with the choice you make.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Xdrive has come a long way from its initial application and now only adds about a tank of gas in terms of weight. It's also proven that in a straight line the rwd is slower than the xdrive. (This is fact, not theory) In the twisties we do not have any evidence of the rwd being faster so the jury is still out. We can speculate but it would be more useful if we had track data on this.

In the winter what is dead certain is awd with winters is the best choice for winter driving. Any other combination (awd with all seasons, rwd with winters, etc) will have to come in second.

If you plan to track your car I doubt anyone can argue with the merits of hanging the tail out on the track, best done with the rwd. I also doubt you can lay down some rubber on the xdrive as it just puts power to the floor and takes off. For everyday driving or if you go to the track less often xdrive was designed to mirror the rwd, so whatever you get from the rwd you will get from the xdrive car. The xdrive dials out some of the under steer that may kick in with the rwd car though. With DHP you reduce the body roll from the standard suspension given the additional ride height in the xdrive compared to sport suspension. Either way body roll has been noted to be one unfortunate traits of the F30 in general probably save for those with MPS.

Either way, we have happy campers with rwd cars and equally happy campers with xdrive. All the best with the choice you make.
+1

I think even looking at this from a sport oriented mind...This xdrive feels fantastic...excellent traction, and without dsc you can really shake things up, almost as good as the rwd(much better than last gen xdrive).

When it comes to winter and traction, obviously nothing is better that AWD with snow tires...but even with all seasons you should be fine with the x drive.

In my experiences, the one negative to xdrive, is the fact that they dont offer m/sport suspension upgrade with m/sport pack. kind of a rip off, but definitely get dhp!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman
Quote:

+1

I think even looking at this from a sport oriented mind...This xdrive feels fantastic...excellent traction, and without dsc you can really shake things up, almost as good as the rwd(much better than last gen xdrive).

When it comes to winter and traction, obviously nothing is better that AWD with snow tires...but even with all seasons you should be fine with the x drive.

In my experiences, the one negative to xdrive, is the fact that they dont offer m/sport suspension upgrade with m/sport pack. kind of a rip off, but definitely get dhp!
If you get all seasons you have to get rid of them for the summer for max summer performance tires. However I am realizing that winters in the winter and summers in the summer are the best of both worlds. You won't be compromising in each season

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
I was on the fence between xDrive and RWD too... I ended up choosing RWD because my priority was the favorable drivetrain for the 350+ days per year that xDrive offers no advantage, rather than the handful where it does (and as good as xDrive with snow tires is, I have never had an issue with a RWD BMW with snow tires either... in fact, even good all seasons were no problem for me on snow-covered Vermont roads back when I used to ski every weekend.)
As for dry roads, RWD is definitely my preference. Don't get me wrong, I actually really like xDrive - but even the best AWD systems that have a complete rear wheel bias when cornering still inherently create more understeer when pushing the car hard in a turn. With camber plates, I could probably live with that...but the 2 inches of additional ride height on an M Sport and veeeery soft suspension were what really sealed the deal for me.
      10-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
If you get all seasons you have to get rid of them for the summer for max summer performance tires. However I am realizing that winters in the winter and summers in the summer are the best of both worlds. You won't be compromising in each season
I've never agreed with this. The Summer/Winter set up in a compromise as well. Anytime you are still on your summers and it gets cold out (October/November nights here in NY), you can be in a compromised position. Same story for winter tires for the many hours of mild weather in the winter. That's a compromise too. With high quality off season tires (like the new Michelin AS 3) you compromise slighly during the worst winter weather and hottest summer weather but you get dependable performance all the time. That class of all seasons has come a long way. How many people are getting 10/10ths of the performance out of their summer tires for street use?

If you track your car, I would agree that you want a Max Performance tire, but for street driving, I think that the best Ultra High Performance All Seasons tires will be more than you ever need and will not catch you off guard regardless of the weather (at least with x drive).

"Winter" (potential cold weather that is) here in NY is very long, way longer than I would want to be on winter tires.

Of course, if I was driving a RWD car, then I agree you need to be on winter tires in the winter. One downside to a RWD car.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100
Quote:
I've never agreed with this. The Summer/Winter set up in a compromise as well. Anytime you are still on your summers and it gets cold out (October/November nights here in NY), you can be in a compromised position. Same story for winter tires for the many hours of mild weather in the winter. That's a compromise too. With high quality off season tires (like the new Michelin AS 3) you compromise slighly during the worst winter weather and hottest summer weather but you get dependable performance all the time. That class of all seasons has come a long way. How many people are getting 10/10ths of the performance out of their summer tires for street use?

If you track your car, I would agree that you want a Max Performance tire, but for street driving, I think that the best Ultra High Performance All Seasons tires will be more than you ever need and will not catch you off guard regardless of the weather (at least with x drive).

"Winter" (potential cold weather that is) here in NY is very long, way longer than I would want to be on winter tires.

Of course, if I was driving a RWD car, then I agree you need to be on winter tires in the winter. One downside to a RWD car.
You could be right. Winter tires are probably an overkill for the NY/NJ area. I plan to use my 19" wheels for the winter set up so given their width I am probably better off with winters than all seasons. If you have narrower wheels then all seasons should be fine for the same region.

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
I actually agree with this even for RWD. I ordered Michelin PS A/S 3s for October through May, and will be putting RE-11As on my Apex wheels for warm weather and track days.
      10-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
Elk
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
. . . even the best AWD systems that have a complete rear wheel bias when cornering still inherently create more understeer when pushing the car hard in a turn.
Yes.

Quote:
If you plan to track your car I doubt anyone can argue with the merits of hanging the tail out on the track, best done with the rwd.
This is the absolutely worst way to go through a corner, it is the slowest. Ever see an F1 car hanging out the rear end? Of course, not.

Rally cars employ a cross-controlled pendulum turn which forces the rear end to slid around because of the poor traction of the surfaces upon which they race - coupled with the inherent understeer of AWD. This straightens the car out as quickly as possible so that AWD's advantage of acceleration in a straight line on loose surfaces can then be exploited.

Not a good technique on the street.

Quote:
The xdrive dials out some of the under steer that may kick in with the rwd car though.
No. Never. And this is not even vaguely possible.

At best, the xDrive system can transfer torque to the rear wheels, reducing the inherent understeer of xDrive. If it transfers 100% to the rear, xDrive then finally reaches the lowest understeer characteristics of any driveline configuration - RWD. At any other time xDrive exhibits more understeer than RWD.

This is engineering reality and physics. One simply cannot design out AWD understeer without employing sophisticated torque steering and the like - none of which xDrive possesses.

(FWD, of course, exhibits the most understeer of the three driveline variants. AWD is in the middle. RWD the lowest.)

xDrive is a fine choice. It can provide increased acceleration in snow and ice. This can provide a driver more confidence getting going at intersections, climbing icy hills, etc. In exchange, xDrive gives up some handling - a perfectly fine tradeoff for many.

If you live in a warm climate with few curvy roads you probably will never notice either.

As a high-performance driving instructor, living in an area of twisty roads, and having driven many BMWs of both RWD and xDrive persuasions the characteristics of both are obvious - even in routine street driving. If you do not notice, buy either as it will never matter to you.

For the OP, either configuration will get you through Chicago winters with all-season or winter tires. If you are worried, get the xDrive and a set of winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #22
swamy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i MG/6MT

Interesting discussion. I bought a 328 rwd because the 328x isn't offered with manual trans and 335x was outside my budget. Hoping the all seasons currently on since I took delivery in July will see me through the upcoming winter and maybe get the winter tires for next year.
Appreciate 0