F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M Performance pedals & fitting
Studio RSR

06-01-2023, 10:58 AM   #1
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

M Performance pedals & fitting

I've got these in the garage, obviously no fitting instructions (BMW would probably charge more for em )

Had a look on Googles and Youtubes and can see some drilling is required

But...

Has anyone fitted these without doing any drilling, but using a strong double sided tape instead (brake and accelerator pedals); the dead pedal just sticks on?

Cheers
      06-01-2023, 01:40 PM   #2
SR-25
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Touring

Hey Dan,

I can’t say I have. The accelerator pedal was far easier than the brake when using the little tapping screws. The brake pedal had a nut on the back. It’s not the most comfortable of jobs. The only thing I did double side sticky tape was the matching footrest which from memory came pre-taped. A bit of IPA later and 3 years later that thing hasn’t moved.

I’ve had success in the past using Araldite to glue some Mugen pedals to an EP3 Civic Type R. I’m sure wherever that car finds itself these days they’re still firmly attached!
Appreciate 1
danb19791881.00
      06-01-2023, 02:23 PM   #3
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-25 View Post
Hey Dan,

I can’t say I have. The accelerator pedal was far easier than the brake when using the little tapping screws. The brake pedal had a nut on the back. It’s not the most comfortable of jobs. The only thing I did double side sticky tape was the matching footrest which from memory came pre-taped. A bit of IPA later and 3 years later that thing hasn’t moved.

I’ve had success in the past using Araldite to glue some Mugen pedals to an EP3 Civic Type R. I’m sure wherever that car finds itself these days they’re still firmly attached!
Haha araldite had crossed my mind

But the thinking is that I can remove all this trim if/when it comes to selling the car (if/when that ever happens) & revert back to OEM factory etc and then sell the parts on to bring some money in etc

Everything I've bought is OEM BMW; so not cheap, even 2nd hand!

I also had gen Mugen pedals in my EG6 SiR-S (Jap import) and DC5; both sets bought via ICB Motorsports in the States, much cheaper than anywhere else

I'm in no shape to be doing footwell gymnastics currently; but will weigh up some options soon and see what works best

Thinking thin strips of Gorilla tape etc
      06-01-2023, 04:35 PM   #4
SR-25
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Touring

Yeah i follow your logic chap, it’s always hard to make money back from modifying cars so to get something back is some reasonable man maths. The brake pedal has the rubber cover on it so in theory you could when it comes to splitting parts, just put the rubber cover back on and nobody would ever know the cars had the M Performance pedals fitted previously. Different story for the accelerator as you’d see the three tapped screw holes if someone was really scrutinising the car at potential sale time.

You could probably get away without coding by purchasing a second accelerator pedal that you could unplug and swap over but as you say OEM parts ain’t cheap. I think you’d also see success with a bit of Gorilla tape. I fully respect from other threads where you’re at with regards to your recent surgery so yeah mate some things to weigh up for sure.

I’d of loved a low mileage pre facelift DC5 with C Pack!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 04:22 AM   #5
TurboWeasel
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

I'm not sure glue would hold up in the long term mate. Do a few emergency stops with work boots on and I'm pretty sure they'd work loose eventually and fall off, especially with all the summer/winter heat cycling.

I'm keen to see if the metal brake pedal cover adds a bit of pedal feel or not, compared the standard issue rubber cover

The only slight concern with metal pedals I have is slippage! I had metal pedals in my Golf and I came a cropper with wet shoes a few times
Appreciate 1
danb19791881.00
      06-03-2023, 04:45 AM   #6
danb1979
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
I'm not sure glue would hold up in the long term mate. Do a few emergency stops with work boots on and I'm pretty sure they'd work loose eventually and fall off, especially with all the summer/winter heat cycling.

I'm keen to see if the metal brake pedal cover adds a bit of pedal feel or not, compared the standard issue rubber cover

The only slight concern with metal pedals I have is slippage! I had metal pedals in my Golf and I came a cropper with wet shoes a few times
Yeah; I'm going to fit them (when I'm moving a bit more freely), properly & will buy a used / working accelerator pedal and refit that if/when I come to sell the car

Re the pedals; they're metal but very rubberised too so slipping won't be an issue
      06-30-2023, 03:25 AM   #7
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Just a suggestion, which may be too late given you’ve bought the kit already but may help others.

You can get slip on ones , whereby you pull/ slide off the original rubber covers and replace with the aluminium ones in the same way.
      06-30-2023, 02:26 PM   #8
TurboWeasel
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

A bit late for me as I've ordered the oem ones

I don't mind a bit of drilling though. I take it the dead pedal one is stick on only?

On the subject of pedals, is it just me or are they too far offset inboard?

In my usual driving position which is most comfortable for pedal and steering wheel reach, I find I only use the furthest right corner of the brake pedal (auto). It feels unnatural to lift my foot up and down again square onto the brake pedal. I tend to do just slide my foot off the gas over to the brake, like most people I expect.

To me at least, it seems like the pedals need to be a good few inches further to the right!

Never had this (first world) 'problem' in VWs, so must be a RHD BMW thing.

Anyway, as you were
Appreciate 0