F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > b58 engine replacement recall
proTUNING Freaks

03-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #89
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtl1125 View Post
lol you people are funny. keep em coming cuz I'm laughing my ass off. why defend the coorperation. they make tons of money as it is. we as a customer should expect the best and when we don't, we have all the right to complain. it's those who sit there with their mouths shut and sitting on your hands that will continue to get played and allow the world to take advantage of you.

they had me in a 228i convertible at first and then moved me to the 535. they recognized that I'd be out of the car for quite some time and did me the service of upgrading me. I told them I appreciated it and we move on. now if I can get something more out of it then hell, why not.
Get played? I couldnt care any less what loner I had as long as its clean. I understand the argument but sounds like you want something for nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #90
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
I don't see why that matters. The engine is the same, if it has a fault, it has a fault. I personally don't want a ticking time bomb in my car. I don't see how a manual transmission would affect the crankshaft any different than an auto transmission. The transmission connects to the flywheel, it's a long way from the crankshaft.
Probably a coincidence and build timing issue. I agree, tranny shouldnt make any difference. Weird. Should only take a couple of days max to change engine shouldnt it?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #91
dtl1125
Private
Rep
Drives: dark grey metallic 340i xdrive

lol at no point did I say I'm not. it's just talk. I'm in the 535 and I'm patiently waiting for my car. what's all the fuss about....what bc I may ask for something else on top of it....well why not. if they say yes then great if not then it ends there.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #92
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
lol at no point did I say I'm not. it's just talk. I'm in the 535 and I'm patiently waiting for my car. what's all the fuss about....what bc I may ask for something else on top of it....well why not. if they say yes then great if not then it ends there.
Sorry. You sounded like you were going to go after them........we have all heard dicks like that on here.
How long is it going to take?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #93
dtl1125
Private
Rep

honestly, if I owned the car I'd probably be singing a different tune, but that's not the case. I'm waiting for the service to receive the engine and then he said 2-3 days for install. he also said the engine was on backorder. it's been a little over a week so we'll see
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:09 AM   #94
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
honestly, if I owned the car I'd probably be singing a different tune, but that's not the case. I'm waiting for the service to receive the engine and then he said 2-3 days for install. he also said the engine was on backorder. it's been a little over a week so we'll see
How would owning the car change anything?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #95
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Probably a coincidence and build timing issue. I agree, tranny shouldnt make any difference. Weird. Should only take a couple of days max to change engine shouldnt it?
With an MT the clutch disengagement loads the flywheel axially. Thrust bearings for the crankshaft are key components in the axial 'load' chain. An AT doesn't load the crank in the same way, more contained as radial loads.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #96
dtl1125
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY
Quote:
How would owning the car change anything?
bc at the end of the lease I turn it in and walk away. that's BMW's problem trying to resell it or whatever they do with it
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:24 AM   #97
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
With an MT the clutch disengagement loads the flywheel axially. Thrust bearings for the crankshaft are key components in the axial 'load' chain. An AT doesn't load the crank in the same way, more contained as radial loads.
Thanks for the explanation. Not sure if you know but what symptoms might the car experience if the crankshaft guide bearing fails? I've had two instances where I did not properly put the car into the next gear. Hoping it was just me and not this guide bearing issue.

Scheduled a service appointment on Friday just to double check out of an abundance of caution.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #98
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Try to get along dtl.......shit happens, especially with BMW.

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #99
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
I feel like we're getting away from the point here. my original post was just to find out if anyone else is facing this issue and what their service reps said in reference to the engine replacement. I know mine said that it's VIN specific.

I also wanted to make others who have a 340 aware that this happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beek View Post
Crank guide bearing, not too good. And why just for manuals? Thankfully I'm a January build w AT but this sure sucks for lots of folks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daftasabrush View Post
Looking at etk, the engines are the same for manuals and autos, so wtf are they doing just replacing the manuals?
FYI, I posted a link to the bearing in realoem.com in the referenced bimmerfest thread today.

Look, guys, it's not the crankshaft bearings. Really has nothing to do with the engine, but is part of the CLUTCH and MANUAL TRANSMISSION assembly. The automatics have an entirely different system and are not affected at all.

It's a <$20 part (which requires $1500+ to replace because you have to pull the tranny). Probably there was a batch/box of bad parts (that went to SA?) Even if the part goes, it's so unlikely to hurt an engine - damage would be confined to the bell housing/clutch area - that your concerns are silly. Clutch, flywheel, that's about all that would likely be affected. It's a chance to replace the dual mass flywheel with a single for better shifting.

<I'm going to look really stupid if I'm wrong>

Last edited by floydarogers; 03-01-2016 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: caveat
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:02 PM   #100
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Love the forums, thanks everyone for the info. Mine is not on the list, whew. Thanks to tim3301@fest for confirming. I wrote to BMW and heard back from them one day later. Nice turnaround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNA View Post
Dear Eluded:

Thank you for writing to BMW of North America, LLC regarding your 2016 BMW 340i Sed. We appreciate your inquiry.

Our records indicate that your vehicle is not affected SI B11 26 15. Please note, a Technical Service Bulletin is not a recall. BMW uses service bulletins to help communicate with our service departments concerning a potential repair and how to fix it. The work recommended in these service bulletins would only be covered under warranty if the vehicle is within its warranty parameters.

Should you require additional information, the service team at your authorized BMW center has the expertise and knowledge to further assist you. For your reference, a list of our authorized BMW centers can be found on www.bmwusa.com; simply select the “Find a Dealer” link located at the bottom of the page.

The BMW Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Thanks again for taking the time to write to us.

Sincerely,

BMWNA
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

BUILD YOUR OWN ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE.
Design the BMW of your dreams at www.bmwusa.com.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #101
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

There are people here who believe BMW can do no wrong PERIOD. Doesn't matter what the issue is, you complain about BMW at all and you are a heathen and deserving of scorn, flames and abuse. Get used to it. Or drink the Kool-Ade.

My car was built 11/3 in SA. Think I'm feeling queasy? And it's NOT on the list.

All engines are built in Germany, not sure why just SA cars are affected.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #102
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
FYI, I posted a link to the bearing in realoem.com in the referenced bimmerfest thread today.

Look, guys, it's not the crankshaft bearings. Really has nothing to do with the engine, but is part of the CLUTCH and MANUAL TRANSMISSION assembly. The automatics have an entirely different system and are not affected at all.

It's a <$20 part (which requires $1500+ to replace because you have to pull the tranny). Probably there was a batch/box of bad parts (that went to SA?) Even if the part goes, it's so unlikely to hurt an engine - damage would be confined to the bell housing/clutch area - that your concerns are silly. Clutch, flywheel, that's about all that would likely be affected. It's a chance to replace the dual mass flywheel with a single for better shifting.

<I'm going to look really stupid if I'm wrong>
Then why are they replacing engines?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:28 PM   #103
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
It makes you sound like the definition of a millennial.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #104
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by __ View Post
It makes you sound like the definition of a millennial.
and what's your point?
      03-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #105
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndotagSwizz View Post
and what's your point?
They are a very entitled feeling generation is my point.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:38 PM   #106
IndotagSwizz
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by __ View Post
They are a very entitled feeling generation is my point.
Ok "Mr. get off my lawn kids" ...because you worked harder for your money than they did right?
      03-01-2016, 12:41 PM   #107
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

lol.... geez guys.... he just asked for a better loaner!
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2016, 12:42 PM   #108
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e View Post
Then why are they replacing engines?
I've been researching more, and my post might be completely wrong.

There is a "crankshaft guide bearing" in the middle of the engine that keeps the crankshaft stable on the longitudinal axis:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_6364

But I can't think why the guide bearings would be different manual/automatic. Maybe the shells were used on a run of engines designed for MT?

Anyone cot a copy of the SIB that details the inspection procedure?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #109
335BOY
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
bc at the end of the lease I turn it in and walk away. that's BMW's problem trying to resell it or whatever they do with it
Can't see how that would change resale value. BMW would have reason for replacement documented. Harmless IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:50 PM   #110
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can't see how that would change resale value. BMW would have reason for replacement documented. Harmless IMO.
I disagree. You go and sell your car when you're done with it and the Carfax comes back as "engine replaced", I'm confident that would warrant less of a trade-in value. I mean, when I sold my last car a member here was interested but was turned off by the car having had 2+ owners despite a clean Carfax.
Appreciate 0