F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > use address in phone contact as Nav destination
Extreme Powerhouse

09-01-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
nfxsh
Rep
Drives: 2013 F35

use address in phone contact as Nav destination

hi,

I remember seeing a thread at bimmerpost that address information in phone contact can be transferred to Nav via Office. I have a NBT retrofit, the POI search is so bad that I almost have to be an expert to pinpoint a location. Because it's a retorfit, I don't have BMS Assist that can call to ask for pushing location to my car. So I'm thinking if I can pre-load a bogus contact with my target location and push it to Nav via bluetooth, it must be cool and save me a lot of effort. After all, there are many ways I can save a location as contact in smart phone.

However, when I actually try it in my car, there is no address field show up after my phone's contact is transferred to car. I can see contact's number, email address, even an web link, but no address! Please see attached picture. this is the screen after I open up a contact in my phone which has an address field. I'm sorry it's in Chinese, but you can get the meaning from the icon - there are phone number, company name, email address, even a personal web site , but no address.

I'm here to ask for help to see if annyone can use a phone contact address as Nav destination? The manual-in-the-car actually says one can use phone contact address as nav destination...

Since it's a retrofit NBT, I found a code that might be relevant with this:

HU_CIC PIM_ADR_VALID

For expert of coding, is this related with my problem?

thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Manulap92
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: 318 DA Luxury (F30)

Hi,

Using address of contacts as Nav destination is possible : it works for me on my CIC (F30 MY2012) over Bluetooth with my BlackBerry Z10.

The first point is that your phone Bluetooth capabilities must be compatible with "contacts address as a nav destination" function of BMW. You should check your phone and car on BMW website .
I saw that on some android phones, a bug on the phone inverts adress field between Phone and BMW. So the address are visible on contacts detail but not usable.

Can you see on idrive contact screen the address of your contact ? If not, your phone is not compatible with this function

When you can see the address on contact detail, the address must be validated by Nav system before using it as a destination.
I think it corresponds to the parameter PIM_ADR_VALID you show in your post.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #3
Manulap92
Enlisted Member
France
Rep

Ok

I've just check bmw website and it says your phone (huawei ascend P6 i think) is not compatible with contacts' address (neither with contacts'picture)

Sorry for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
nfxsh
Rep
Drives: 2013 F35

@Manulap92, thank you for the response and confirmation that it works. It gives me more confidence to make use of it.

Would you please tell me where did you check the phone compatibility? I would even be wiling to change phone in order to be able to use this feature. Without BMW Assist, searching something in BMW Nav is just hard, especially in China!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
Manulap92
Enlisted Member
France
Rep

You can check bluetooth compatibilities here :

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...k_golocal.html

Then choice your country . Depending on country choice, the tested phones are not always the same. Try USA or UK or Canada.
If you try China, they have not tested Huawei phones.

Here's how it looks like on my CIC :

And screen for address validation :

Last edited by Manulap92; 09-05-2014 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: pictures not visible
Appreciate 0