F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Opinion on the speaker upgrade please
Studio RSR

02-17-2022, 03:53 AM   #1
kierownik
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 320i Sport Black

Opinion on the speaker upgrade please

Hi there.
Has anyone installed those in their F30? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274361155...7ace%7Ciid%3A1

I'm looking for an opinion if they're worth getting installed and will the upgrade be noticeable. I don't want to mess about with additional amps or wiring. I just want a straight and simple upgrade for better sound quality.
Will those speakers do the job?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 06:12 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kierownik View Post
Hi there.
Has anyone installed those in their F30? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274361155980?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110 01%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D201609081050 57%26meid%3Df3bca89964014321a5c385b7f1fe125a%26pid %3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D274361155980% 26itm%3D274361155980%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D23 80057%26brand%3DFocal&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m42 36&_trkparms=pageci%3Ab363fb45-8fd6-11ec-a9b3-9ae147245a23%7Cparentrq%3A0714e2c217f0a9f0b8284847 fff57ace%7Ciid%3A1

I'm looking for an opinion if they're worth getting installed and will the upgrade be noticeable. I don't want to mess about with additional amps or wiring. I just want a straight and simple upgrade for better sound quality.
Will those speakers do the job?
Thanks
Don't waste your money on speaker upgrades. The BMW speakers are quite good. It's how they are being driven that's the issue. Don't listen to audio shops trying to sell you what they make the most profit on. Most are cheaply made Chinese speakers.

The one speaker replacement exception for all of the BMW audio systems is the underseat subwoofers which are subpar. The tiny BMW underseat cabinets is the problem. The highly advertised expensive subwoofer upgrades are not the solution. The best underseat subwoofers that are actually made for the cabinets and have the specs to prove it are Earthquake SWS-8Xi (2-ohm) along with the Earthquake spacer rings. Earthquakes are available at Walmart Online, Amazon and ECS Tuning.

Do you have the base, HiFi or Harman Kardon BMW audio system? The upgrade solutions vary by which you have.

Here are the best upgrade paths depending on which stock BMW audio system a car has.

Both Match amplifiers below add an advanced DSP system that is much better than the DSP system that is included in the HK system. They instantly make the BMW speakers sound amazing.

Base Audio System:
Match 7DSP amplifier. Two specific Match cables to connect amp to your BMW dash unit. The amplifier mounts easily in the trunk in the empty left rear alcove spot.
Earthquake subwoofers and Spacer Rings

You can also add a center dash channel with midrange and tweeter (the bracket should already be there under the dash pad) and add tweeters to your four doors.

HiFi Audio System:
Match 7BMW amplifier. Complete plug and play replacement for your stock HiFi amplifier in the trunk.
Earthquake Subwoofers & Spacer rings

You can also add a tweeter to the empty bracket next to your top dash center channel midrange. And you can add tweeters to your rear doors.

Harman Kardon Audio System:
AudioControl ACM-2.300 LOC/Amplifier
Technicpnp website- wiring harness
Earthquake Subwoofers and Spacer Rings

Everything is fine with the HK system except the weak underseat subwoofers and the power that drives them. The ACM-2.300 is the perfect secondary amplifier to drive just the Earthquake subwoofers. My family and friends thought that I must have replaced my BMW audio system. But all I did was replace the subwoofers and add the right amplifier to drive them.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
MTTH232.50
x-m4n148.00
      02-17-2022, 06:15 AM   #3
kierownik
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Don't waste your money on speaker upgrades. The BMW speakers are quite good. It's how they are being driven that's the issue. Don't listen to audio shops trying to sell you what they make the most profit on. Most are cheaply made Chinese speakers.

The one speaker replacement exception for all of the BMW audio systems is the underseat subwoofers which are subpar. The tiny BMW underseat cabinets is the problem. The highly advertised expensive subwoofer upgrades are not the solution. The best underseat subwoofers that are actually made for the cabinets and have the specs to prove it are Earthquake SWS-8Xi (2-ohm) along with the Earthquake spacer rings. Earthquakes are available at Walmart Online, Amazon and ECS Tuning.

Do you have the base, HiFi or Harman Kardon BMW audio system? The upgrade solutions vary by which you have.

Here are the best upgrade paths depending on which stock BMW audio system a car has.

Both Match amplifiers below add an advanced DSP system that is much better than the DSP system that is included in the HK system. They instantly make the BMW speakers sound amazing.

Base Audio System:
Match 7DSP amplifier. Two specific Match cables to connect amp to your BMW dash unit. The amplifier mounts easily in the trunk in the empty left rear alcove spot.

You can also add a center dash channel with midrange and tweeter (the bracket should already be there under the dash pad) and add tweeters to your four doors.

HiFi Audio System:
Match 7BMW amplifier. Complete plug and play replacement for your stock HiFi amplifier in the trunk.

You can also add a tweeter to the empty bracket next to your top dash center channel midrange. And you can add tweeters to your rear doors.

Everything is fine with the HK system except the weak underseat subwoofers and the power that drives them. The ACM-2.300 is the perfect secondary amplifier to drive just the Earthquake subwoofers. My family and friends thought that I must have replaced my BMW audio system. But all I did was replace the subwoofers and add the right amplifier to drive them.

Hope this helps!
Basic system. I wanted to get a bit crispier sound without having to spend too much money. The subwoofers are good enough for me to be fair. Don't need more bass. I guess I'll just stick with the stock speakers then. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 07:24 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

For better highs add tweeters, but you don't want coaxial tweeters as shown in the link you posted. Tweeters need to be mounted as high as possible. Coaxes place them too low.
There are some midranges that have higher output capability than the stock base midranges, but you need more power than the base head unit to take advantage of that. The same applies to the underseat woofers.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      02-17-2022, 07:48 AM   #5
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

Quote:

Base Audio System:

HiFi Audio System:

Hope this helps!
This is amazing information, and exactly what I needed.

Could you please link to the following

- match 7 amp (there are several types so unsure which one to get that will fit my base audio system)
- the specific cables required for a base audio system
- the earthquake spacers

Finally, what do you suggest is the best way to power the separate tweeters that I will be adding to the doors? (Or maybe even the central dash speaker)

Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 10:39 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam_440i View Post
Quote:

Base Audio System:

HiFi Audio System:

Hope this helps!
This is amazing information, and exactly what I needed.

Could you please link to the following

- match 7 amp (there are several types so unsure which one to get that will fit my base audio system)
- the specific cables required for a base audio system
- the earthquake spacers

Finally, what do you suggest is the best way to power the separate tweeters that I will be adding to the doors? (Or maybe even the central dash speaker)

Much appreciated
Listen to whatever Billfitz says. Bill is the guru. Read his posts. He has talked about adding tweeters to his HiFi system rear doors. For fronts I'd pickup a new or used set of HK tweeters in the door housings. One channel to each door connects both the midrange and the tweeter.

I just saw that Earthquake Sound has a European website.

Link to spacers: Cost about $25/pair in US
http://www.earthquakesound.eu/car-au...s/r8-sws-.aspx

Link to Earthquake Subwoofers:
Note that the 2-ohm SWS-8Xi must be used, NOT the 4-ohm version.
Price: They cost $129 each on Amazon in the US. If you see a much higher price it could be a manufacturer suggested list price. Maybe they are sold on AmazonUK

http://www.earthquakesound.eu/car-au...s/sws-8xi.aspx

Match 7DSP (for the BMW base audio system)
(Note: The BMW HiFi system uses the 7BMW)

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...ifiers/up-7dsp

There is a tremendous amount of detailed information on the Audiotec Fischer website. Their tech support is also excellent.

The BMW base audio doesn't have a separate amplifier but it has empty space in the left trunk alcove where the HK and HiFi system amplifiers are installed. Install the Match 7DSP there.

But there is no factory wiring in that trunk location so a long Match cable is run from the trunk to the audio head unit area behind the dash. It's actually pretty easy to pry up the interior trim pieces and run the cable along the car's existing cables. Then typically there is another shorter Match adapter cable that connects the long Match cable to the rear of the car's audio head unit and the car's existing audio wiring harness.

The Match components really are designed to be plug and play. I have attached photos of cable part numbers that I researched to help someone else who may have a different car or head unit than yours. So I encourage you to go through the Audiotec Fischer website and contact their tech support to make sure that you order the correct cables for the Match 7DSP installation for your car.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-18-2022, 10:03 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

This, or something similar, is what you need for the front door tweeters:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373259661569
They plug in to the front door midrange speakers. The price is silly, but that's what you get for driving a BMW.

The back doors can be loaded with these, which I used, or something similar:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might be able to load these in the existing no tweeter front door trim pieces, but not having them myself I can't say for sure.

The locations for tweeter cut outs are embossed on the inside of the door cards.
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2022, 12:39 PM   #8
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Amazing information here!!! I truly appreciate it guys.

I have purchased a set of HK tweeters, and mid range door speakers. I am scouring the internet to find the tweeter covers but prices are ridiculous, so I may load them onto the current base tweeter covers and try work something out just for a temporary basis.

I will do my audio upgrade in stages. I will next get the MATCH DSP amp and then the Earthquake underseat subs. Should have a decent audio system after that
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      02-19-2022, 03:32 AM   #9
kierownik
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
This, or something similar, is what you need for the front door tweeters:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/373259661569
They plug in to the front door midrange speakers. The price is silly, but that's what you get for driving a BMW.

The back doors can be loaded with these, which I used, or something similar:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might be able to load these in the existing no tweeter front door trim pieces, but not having them myself I can't say for sure.

The locations for tweeter cut outs are embossed on the inside of the door cards.
Would adding those tweeters to my standard sound system without additional amp make any difference and make it sound better?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 08:04 AM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

You'll hear high frequencies that the midrange speakers don't reproduce. On the negative side if you're in the habit of playing louder than the head unit amplification can do cleanly you'll also hear harmonic distortion that the midrange speakers don't reproduce.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #11
panema
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series & BMW 2 Series

I show the Match Up 7DSP Amp is around $1k
Earthquake under seat woofers are $150 each on Amazon so $300 ish and more expensive elsewhere
Match PP-AC-13a adapter is $35
Match PP-ISO-5 pricing varies but something around $80 seems average
Adapters for two are $50

So after shipping everything in probably looking at $1500 - $1600 and it seems like you're still left with quite a bit of brain damage figuring out aspects of the install and what you're planning to do next to keep going down the upgrade path.

I would highly recommend doing a deep dive on this thread before pulling the trigger on the earthquakes:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post26176206

and more specifically this and the posts immediately surrounding it.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=344

I went down this same rabbit hole while figuring out what to do for the audio upgrade in my F30. I know Earthquakes get a lot of love and a lot of hype in the forums but but after reading and re reading pretty much every thread especially the one I linked above I just couldn't ignore the integral audio soundstage products for the F30:

https://integralaudio.com/soundstage...eries-f3x.html

Which is what I ended up going with. Never looked back. Soup to nuts. Everything you're looking for, designed as a cohesive system and on top of that you're getting a true passive crossover network designed specifically for the acoustics of your vehicle. You won't even have to run to the hardware store to get screws to mount anything during the install haha. Kind of insane for the price when you really think about it compared to a piecemeal upgrade.

Also, side note take a close look to see they did design their own under seat woofer to try and get the most performance possible out of that insanely difficult enclosure setting. I had some back and forth with Kevin after reading a bunch of his post history while working through this and its pretty insane how deep his knowledge goes and what lengths he's gone to to try and solve some of these problems that come up over and over again.

I ended up pulling the trigger on this and can't tell you how much I love it. Kevin and some of the IA guys have been periodically present on the forums and I'm always kinda surprised they don't get more love when these same questions come up. The solutions they've come up with should at least more frequently be a part of the conversation when considering different upgrade paths.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 11:21 AM   #12
gameson
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 320i N20

How do i add tweeters to the front doors and rear doors? Simply plug and play without splicing wires? Any info?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 01:00 AM   #13
KG97007
Rep
Drives: F10

It is recommended to install a full set of BMW Harman Kardon audio
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 07:20 AM   #14
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG97007 View Post
It is recommended to install a full set of BMW Harman Kardon audio
By who?
The H-K system isn't all that good. If you're going to go to the expense of adding an amp it should be the Match Up. The H-K speakers are OK, but ridiculously overpriced. I wouldn't get rid of them if I had the H-K system, but there are better choices that are less expensive if upgrading the Base system.

Quote:
How do i add tweeters to the front doors and rear doors? Simply plug and play without splicing wires? Any info?
Search youtube.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 05:55 PM   #15
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep

I upgraded my base mid range to HK speakers and added HK tweeters.

Big difference. When comparing side by side, the base door speakers literally sound like they are underwater.

Next step for me is to upgrade to earthquake subs and add match 7dsp. How big will the difference be when I add those?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 03:15 AM   #16
kierownik
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I upgraded my base mid range to HK speakers and added HK tweeters.

Big difference. When comparing side by side, the base door speakers literally sound like they are underwater.

Next step for me is to upgrade to earthquake subs and add match 7dsp. How big will the difference be when I add those?
So you upgraded to HK speakers and tweeters without adding an amp? And the difference was that big?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 02:21 PM   #17
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So you upgraded to HK speakers and tweeters without adding an amp? And the difference was that big?

Yes.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 02:57 AM   #18
kierownik
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes.
After reading what you said I have researched it a bit and a lot of sources confirmed your words. Apparently fitting front HK mid speakers with tweeters improve the sound quality dramatically. So I decided to go for it. Ordered a set of used speakers for £139 on ebay and set of window frames directly from BMW dealership for £64 for pair. Should have everything next week and can't wait to get it installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2022, 04:33 AM   #19
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
After reading what you said I have researched it a bit and a lot of sources confirmed your words. Apparently fitting front HK mid speakers with tweeters improve the sound quality dramatically. So I decided to go for it. Ordered a set of used speakers for £139 on ebay and set of window frames directly from BMW dealership for £64 for pair. Should have everything next week and can't wait to get it installed.
Nice! Hopefully you get a pleasant surprise when it's all plugged in. Just to manage expectations, it's not ground breaking, but it's crisper and louder.

I have a spare set of HK tweeters (without the door covers) which I'm selling for £50 too.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 12:02 PM   #20
kierownik
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nice! Hopefully you get a pleasant surprise when it's all plugged in. Just to manage expectations, it's not ground breaking, but it's crisper and louder.

I have a spare set of HK tweeters (without the door covers) which I'm selling for £50 too.
Fitted the speakers today. Getting the window frames back in place wasn't easy and I admit it pissed me off at some point because gaskets didn't want to go where they supossed to go. But they gave up eventually and I won.

As for the speakers all I'm going to say is WOW! OH WOW! What a difference! The sound is loud and crisp and it's an absolute pleasure to listen to the music in the car right now.

I can't believe how much of a difference it made. I can't even imagine how good the full HK system must sound.

So a massive thank you for your advice. For £200 the upgrade was well worth it!
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2022, 05:04 PM   #21
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by panema View Post
I show the Match Up 7DSP Amp is around $1k
Earthquake under seat woofers are $150 each on Amazon so $300 ish and more expensive elsewhere
Match PP-AC-13a adapter is $35
Match PP-ISO-5 pricing varies but something around $80 seems average
Adapters for two are $50

So after shipping everything in probably looking at $1500 - $1600 and it seems like you're still left with quite a bit of brain damage figuring out aspects of the install and what you're planning to do next to keep going down the upgrade path.

I would highly recommend doing a deep dive on this thread before pulling the trigger on the earthquakes:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post26176206

and more specifically this and the posts immediately surrounding it.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=344

I went down this same rabbit hole while figuring out what to do for the audio upgrade in my F30. I know Earthquakes get a lot of love and a lot of hype in the forums but but after reading and re reading pretty much every thread especially the one I linked above I just couldn't ignore the integral audio soundstage products for the F30:

https://integralaudio.com/soundstage...eries-f3x.html

Which is what I ended up going with. Never looked back. Soup to nuts. Everything you're looking for, designed as a cohesive system and on top of that you're getting a true passive crossover network designed specifically for the acoustics of your vehicle. You won't even have to run to the hardware store to get screws to mount anything during the install haha. Kind of insane for the price when you really think about it compared to a piecemeal upgrade.

Also, side note take a close look to see they did design their own under seat woofer to try and get the most performance possible out of that insanely difficult enclosure setting. I had some back and forth with Kevin after reading a bunch of his post history while working through this and its pretty insane how deep his knowledge goes and what lengths he's gone to to try and solve some of these problems that come up over and over again.

I ended up pulling the trigger on this and can't tell you how much I love it. Kevin and some of the IA guys have been periodically present on the forums and I'm always kinda surprised they don't get more love when these same questions come up. The solutions they've come up with should at least more frequently be a part of the conversation when considering different upgrade paths.
Nah, you are mischaracterizing the Match amp and Earthquake installation. Some would call it throwing FUD fear, uncertainty and doubt at it to promote the products that you like.

Prices are less than you stated. Earthquakes are only $129 each on Amazon. Earthquake Spacer rings are only $25 for the pair. Installation is very straightforward, pretty much the same for any sub replacement. Remove 4 seat rail bolts and tilt the seat back. Then remove a few screws to take the sub cover off. Take stock sub out and drop the spacer ring and Earthquake in.

Match has made the Match 7DSP installation as plug and play as possible. It installs into the empty space that BMW intended for an amplifier. And the two Match cables connect in series directly to the head unit in the dash.

The installation details needed are the same or even less than any other installation. Anyone with basic skills and experience can accomplish it. And the sound improvement will be amazing! The Match DSP is much more advanced than the DSP in the BMW Harman Kardon DSP.
Appreciate 2
Billfitz8243.00
      03-02-2022, 08:49 AM   #22
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by panema View Post
I know Earthquakes get a lot of love and a lot of hype in the forums
That's because they also designed their own under seat woofer to try and get the most performance possible out of that insanely difficult enclosure setting. Not only did they succeed, they post their measured T/S specs to prove it. If you don't know what that means, and to be fair I'd estimate 95% or more of those who embark on the upgrade quest don't, your research didn't include the sources that it should have. Buying speakers without seeing measured results is like buying a tune without seeing dyno results.
Appreciate 3
johnung4528.00