F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Some Dinan tune questions...
ARMA SPEED

01-19-2018, 02:36 AM   #1
R1kid07
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Some Dinan tune questions...

Hi guys,
Tax season is upon us and I'm already planning how I am going to spend it and I was thinking about getting a Dinan Tune Stage 3. My car is currently stock so I am gonna run it with the stage 1 map and change it as I pick up parts.

However I'm still on the fence between Dinan stage 3 and a JB4. The reason I'm interested more in the Stage 3 is because I can retain my cat and pass smog ( I live in CA) without having to revert anything back but I wanted to know how does Stage 3 compare to Map 2? (Drivability wise)

Also does the Dinan tune 1 require an aftermarket charge pipe? I feel like it should.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 03:39 AM   #2
bmwchue
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i

as per dinan for stage 3"Dinan Intercooler for the BMW F30 335i is required. Dinan cold air intake for the BMW 335i is highly reccommended. Dinan Free Flow Stainless Exhaust for the BMW F30 335i is recommended."
i would add charge pipe is required because they will fail

I live in CA and have jb4.it takes less than 15min to install/unistall and its stealthy oem look

dinan stage 3 $2600 vs jb4 new $550/ used $300 or get boostmod $350 which i hear is #1 popular now
save that $2k and upgrade your weak components

you say that you will pick up parts as you go but dont change the cat you will still fail smog test for visual inspection. there is no carb for intake or charge pipes.
its not hard to install them. i once thought that but after attempting to do it myself i feel confident if i need to reinstall my oem for smog one day i can do it again.
good luck

Last edited by bmwchue; 01-19-2018 at 03:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #3
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Because you're in CA that's a tough one per se. First, yes change the stock CP because it could blow and so may as well do it as you're adding power (strains the stock CP). As for JB versus Dinan, your call as want to avoid ye ol' can-o-worms about the law versus what is possible versus...

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

I recall some kind of trade up from stage 1 to stage 3 but better to contact Dinan sales to confirm this.

Also, you didn't mention warranty but most buying dinan assume it. It only covers what's left of the new car warranty if you're the first buyer. If you're CPO or out of warranty, it only covers the dinan parts and not your BMW.

I would highly recommend a CP for the 335i in general but it's possible the dinan parts don't crack the CP more or less as much as stock boost.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug

Last edited by anotheran; 01-19-2018 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: deleted some possibly wrong information. rather not circulate wrong info
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
R1kid07
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
Just a FYI, if you buy a stage 3, it only has one map designed with the dinan intercooler and exhaust. You'll have to buy a stage 1 then buy stage 3 if you go along with your plan. I recall some kind of trade up from stage 1 to stage 3 but better to contact Dinan sales to confirm this.

Also, you didn't mention warranty but most buying dinan assume it. It only covers what's left of the new car warranty if you're the first buyer. If you're CPO or out of warranty, it only covers the dinan parts and not your BMW.

I would highly recommend a CP for the 335i in general but it's possible the dinan parts don't crack the CP more or less as much as stock boost.
I thought the Dinan ecu allows you to select the map thru Bluetooth using the dinantronics app. I grabbed this from the website and I just googled for what the app looks like.

Easy To Use

Dinan's ECU is Bluetooth® Smart meaning that you can change maps simply via a Bluetooth connection on your iPhone or Android device. Just install and you are done!

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:56 AM   #6
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1kid07 View Post
I thought the Dinan ecu allows you to select the map thru Bluetooth using the dinantronics app. I grabbed this from the website and I just googled for what the app looks like.

Easy To Use

Dinan's ECU is Bluetooth® Smart meaning that you can change maps simply via a Bluetooth connection on your iPhone or Android device. Just install and you are done!
Doing a double check, i may have confused this: "upgrading in stages, the only cost incurred to you is the price difference" in their sales info. You're probably right. And in the app, there's no official Dinan stage 2 for F30 anyways. Let us know how it turns out!

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

the stock cat is a bottleneck and going "big" (i.e.stage lll) in front of a stock cat doesn't make sense to me. since you have to keep the stock cat, i think a more modest approach is more preferable.

While Dinan is good stuff, as anotheran said, it costs a lot more because of the warranty that is offered if you did the upgrade during the original vehicle warranty. if you buy it near or after the original BMW warranty is expired, imo, it is vastly overpriced and you can achieve same results in other ways.

since your stock cat must remain, i'd just go typical bolt-ons such as FMIC, charge pipe(s), exhaust, maybe intake** and a flash tune based on your mods or JB4(for removability)

*do NOT get short ram=hot air, open filter, "just for sound" type
*Do get closed box, non metal construction(plastic,carbon fiber, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
R1kid07
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
the stock cat is a bottleneck and going "big" (i.e.stage lll) in front of a stock cat doesn't make sense to me. since you have to keep the stock cat, i think a more modest approach is more preferable.

While Dinan is good stuff, as anotheran said, it costs a lot more because of the warranty that is offered if you did the upgrade during the original vehicle warranty. if you buy it near or after the original BMW warranty is expired, imo, it is vastly overpriced and you can achieve same results in other ways.

since your stock cat must remain, i'd just go typical bolt-ons such as FMIC, charge pipe(s), exhaust, maybe intake** and a flash tune based on your mods or JB4(for removability)

*do NOT get short ram=hot air, open filter, "just for sound" type
*Do get closed box, non metal construction(plastic,carbon fiber, etc.)
What are some possible Flash Tunes? The only one I've seen is bootmod3 and it doesn't seem as popular as the JB4 route.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
R1kid07
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwchue View Post
as per dinan for stage 3"Dinan Intercooler for the BMW F30 335i is required. Dinan cold air intake for the BMW 335i is highly reccommended. Dinan Free Flow Stainless Exhaust for the BMW F30 335i is recommended."
i would add charge pipe is required because they will fail

I live in CA and have jb4.it takes less than 15min to install/unistall and its stealthy oem look

dinan stage 3 $2600 vs jb4 new $550/ used $300 or get boostmod $350 which i hear is #1 popular now
save that $2k and upgrade your weak components

you say that you will pick up parts as you go but dont change the cat you will still fail smog test for visual inspection. there is no carb for intake or charge pipes.
its not hard to install them. i once thought that but after attempting to do it myself i feel confident if i need to reinstall my oem for smog one day i can do it again.
good luck
When you go in to smog do you switch the JB4 to map 0 or do you just go ahead and remove it?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #10
bmwchue
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 328i

Quote:
When you go in to smog do you switch the JB4 to map 0 or do you just go ahead and remove it?
i remove the jb4 which takes 5min
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #11
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
What are some possible Flash Tunes? The only one I've seen is bootmod3 and it doesn't seem as popular as the JB4 route.
there's a few of them out that flash throught the OBD port however it is imperative you do your research before pulling the trigger. if you do it the bench flash way, you'll have to have a local shop remove the DME and flash it there or you remove it, ship it out, have it flashed and shipped back to you. so it's a bit more complicated. Flashing via OBD is the way to go.

from a performance standpoint, flashing is is way better than a piggy-back but you have to be very informed about it all. if this is too complicated for you then JB4 is a great and easier alternative

i suggest you look through the N55 engine mod sub forums and post more questions there.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=421

Last edited by alohasurftoad; 01-19-2018 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #12
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

I dont know why anyone would want to waste their money buying dinan... the cost itself is a huge rip off, bmw can still even void your warranty with dinan and you would have to take the claim to dinan

jb4 > dinan all day, performance and cost wise.

you can go FBO and jb4 for the same price of a dinan tune

you shouldnt even have to worry about smog until 2020 since your car is newer and you will only fail smog if you have a catless dp.

a piggyback tune like jb4 will allow you to delete the CEL

so many flash tunes coming out now since the dme is cracked... bootmod3, mhd, enzo, vr, AP and more